cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Possible with younger children?

Yosemite17
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, seeking some guidance as we have never taken an RV holiday before. We live in Southern California and want to head up the coast (Big Sur and the Redwoods) then across to Yosemite and then back south. But are our kids 1.5 and 4.5 yrs too young? I dont see how to fit a car seat safely in an RV?
Thanks for the help, we would really love to do this so are keen to hear other peoples experiences travelling with littler kids.
29 REPLIES 29

kazmir
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest a travel trailer that one of your current vehicles can handle, there are some lightweight ones now. A pop up is light but usually doesn't have a bathroom available on the road. Its great to stop at a rest stop or day use with the kids to let them run around while you make snacks or lunch. In a trailer you can do that. Also having a regular vehicle to use is safer for the car seats and also its nice to have while visiting the areas you are in. We started with a tent, moved onto a camper, then trailer and now a motorhome. Its a fun hobby and our teenagers still like camping with us, 3 trips planned this summer so far! Have fun!
2005 Minnie 24V
Family of Four with lots of toys!:B

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
One of the inspirations for us to buy a motorhome was meeting a German couple with one in a fairly remote campsite in northern British Columbia. They had a 6 month maternity & paternity leave and spent it flying to Las Angeles, buying a used class C and RVing the western US and Canada. They were having a great time.

I like the idea of a popup. Kids love the canvas, being able to hear the birds, see wildlife through a screen window. Also easy for Mom & Dad to hear them from outside at the campfire late at night.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
Pulling a washroom is nice when you have young ones. just saying.

also those portable dvd players that run off 12v and strap to the head rests are a god send.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
We brought our kids tent camping when they were 6 mo old. A camper or RV would have sure been nice. If your oldest is a boy a pee bottle would be handy. Kids don't give much notice for needed pit stops. If you are pulling a trailer it is not easy to just pull over quickly.
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it depends on the kids. Both of mine were not great on long car rides (to put it politely), but other folks I know have had great success in camping with kids.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Rovin__Bones
Explorer
Explorer
If you can dream it, you can do it. Everything works if you let it.
1983 24' Midas Freeport. Chevy 350 mated to a TH400 transmission on a GM G30 chassis and a spiffy Onan 4kw genset.

!*NEW Blog page*!
Rovin' Bones

troubledwaters
Explorer
Explorer
We have been camping for 25 years including when my son, who is now and adult, was only a few months old. So yes its possible, you just need to make adjustments just like you did at home for having a new baby in the house. You learn as you go. One example, most kids when you put them in the car seat and start traveling, they fall asleep. Not my kid, you put him in the car seat and start traveling, he screams, non stop, for hours. Solution, we traveled at night when it was his usual bed time, he'd usually fall off to sleep after 20 minutes or so. Had to do that for 2 or 3 years no matter where we went. Even a two mile trip to grandmas house was 10 minutes of wailing, you steeled your nerves and moved forward. So just adjust and move forward.

mighty7sd
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a trailer and will be camping with 3 kids under 5. Two sleep in a bed, but the baby will sleep in a pack-and-play, so remember about baby safety even when not driving. Need to do some baby proofing such as electrical outlet covers, removal of stringed blinds, keeping them away from fire/water, etc.
2010 Chevy 2500 CC 4x4, Pullrite Superglide Autoslide
2016 Keystone Hideout 308BHDS

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
We started with a smallish 25ft trailer with no slides. Kids were 1 and 2. Stayed local for a couple years. In 05 we took a 2 week trip to Glacier NP to visit my cousin who moved to Kalispell MT. The kids were 3 and 4 at the time and it was the best they ever were on a trip. They are worse today at 14 and 15 than they were then. My daughter even decided that that was the time to start potty training. Fortunately I thought ahead and brought a small portable toilet for my son to use when we had the comb van. Made for a great trip with lots of memories!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Yosemite17
Explorer
Explorer
This feedback has all been so helpful and positive. We will look into a short trip as test run and also a pop-up trailer option too. Thank you.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our sons were 4 & 8 when we started camping/traveling in a pop-up tent camper. But there's no reason why you can't travel with younger children. The key is to adapt your traveling style to allow for the needs of the kids. I think a pop-up or hybrid camper is great for kids. Sleeping "under the canvas" provides a near tent camping experience but a good hybrid would have a full bathroom which I would highly recommend with kids. And, if you tow a small pop-up, hybrid or travel trailer, you can keep the car seats in the vehicle, and sightseeing in the tow vehicle is much better for sight-seeing.

But, decide what you want, and then just figure out how you can make it work for you. But make sure whatever you do, you end up in situation where the cost of the RV doen't crimp your budget. It's more important to have the funds to travel and explore.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite17 wrote:
Hello, seeking some guidance as we have never taken an RV holiday before. We live in Southern California and want to head up the coast (Big Sur and the Redwoods) then across to Yosemite and then back south. But are our kids 1.5 and 4.5 yrs too young? I dont see how to fit a car seat safely in an RV?
Thanks for the help, we would really love to do this so are keen to hear other peoples experiences travelling with littler kids.

What kind of RV do you drive? If you are driving a trailer then not a problem re seat belts. If in any other type of RV your are going to have get creative in figuring on how to put a seat belt in. RVing with Young children just means a lot more preparation and planning i.e. clothes and food, water, medical perscriptions. Install a medical app "FindER" on your iPhone that will find the nearest medical facility where ever you are located in the event of an emergency. Before you start your trip, check the app CARR for calif. roaditions. i.e. I would not take your trip right now due to all the flooding in Calif. The Big Sur area bridge is closed due to bridge damage from floods.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
It's easier with small kids than with teenagers. I'd go with a pop-up. Might even be able to tow it with whatever car/SUV you have now.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
We full timed with an infant / toddler. About to go back to it. You can live in anything. People used to live 6 kids in a bedroom, you can live in a tent etc. Most RV's are luxurious compared to what most of the world lives in.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold