cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My turn! Carpet out - Pergo it.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Started ripping out the nasty white carpet. Made a little video about my "plan". All comments welcome.

Video
16 REPLIES 16

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
..........What do you have on the floor in your home?

Funny that you asked. I have the exact same stuff in the house. I had two boxes left over so we just bought some more. Makes the RV feel like home because the floor is the same LOL!

It's harder to install in the RV. It tight. My butts always up against a cabinet or wall.

Currently about half done.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love my carpet. Tore out the old and bought new very high quality carpet to replace it with. I travel in very cold weather at times and the small area of tile in the coach actually hurt me feet. Yes, we put down rugs but doesn't that create a similar problem to having carpet? No matter, we have carpet in the living room and bedroom and tile in the kitchen. I see no reason to change that formula. Cheap RV carpeting is nothing like high quality home carpeting installed in an RV. Spill a drink and it just sits there. A few paper towels and the carpet is DRY. Good padding and great carpet is still the nicest thing your stocking feet will ever feel. This is my home. What do you have on the floor in your home?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

lpxguy
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
lpxguy wrote:

Cortech is the only laminate that is guaranteed waterproof...I just put it in my kitchen at home...excellent stuff!!!!

Can you please provide a link to that product? I have tried searching for it with no success. All I find is clothing and some other stuff but no flooring products.

Edit: Finally found some places with it. Here is one.
Barney

That's it!
2005 GMC Sierra 3500 CC DRW D/A(FOR SALE)
2013 Crusader 335BHS TE(FOR SALE)

lpxguy
Explorer
Explorer
disregard

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
myredracer wrote:
.........I am not familiar with Pergo - is it a thin vinyl plank or thicker stuff?

3/8"

myredracer wrote:
.........have Tylenol on hand!

Best advice to date!!!! Thanks

As well as a pair of gel-filled knee pads!
2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4 CCSB; Superglide 16k hitch w/3" lift kit; Titan 52-gallon replacement fuel tank :C
2007 HitchHiker II LS 26.5RLBG Mor/Ryde pinbox:B

jungshin
Explorer
Explorer
if its a class c you are going to need edging for the front and the stairwell. i used angle iron cut welded and painted for the stairwell edge and the front edge got standard brassy looking stair edging.

pull the toilette, dinette, if you have a swivel chair pull it and pull the couch and the vent covers. it makes it easier if the whole thing is as open as it can be. make sure to get enough underlayment and quarter round worked great for edge moulding. use a spade bit to drill for the bolts holding things down so they can shift as needed. a reciprocal saw and a chop saw works wonders for this.

my wife wasn't all that sold on it until i got done and now loves it. easy to clean and looks great.

if you want to do it on the cheap check habitat for humanity for left over laminate, i did my whole 32' c for $45.00 in flooring and paid standard for the underlayment

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
i used an Armstrong version of the "Pergo" type flooring to re do the entry eay and my bathroom. The Armstrong is ok with water.

I will say this, it was a hassle to install. Getting all of the joints as tight as they should be all at the same time, can also be difficult. I didnt bother to let it float as it advises because these areas are so small.

And the more cuts you have around stuff like cabinets will make it that much more difficult.

Given what I went through in two small areas (the bathroom admittedly I knew was going to be difficult) I am glad I did not decide to do the whole camper. Instead I carpeted it in a very nice commercial carpet for high traffic (all of an RV is high traffic) it looks great and is tough and warm

Good Luck.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
.........I am not familiar with Pergo - is it a thin vinyl plank or thicker stuff?

3/8"

myredracer wrote:
.........have Tylenol on hand!

Best advice to date!!!! Thanks

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Pergo? Not us. Carpet Kit roll out with rubber backing. We like carpet under our cold feet.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

wrybread
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome!

I just updated my thread about the Allure, which I've now had for about 8 months and still no issues. I love that its waterproof, and looks great, and was easy to install.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
lpxguy wrote:

Cortech is the only laminate that is guaranteed waterproof...I just put it in my kitchen at home...excellent stuff!!!!

Can you please provide a link to that product? I have tried searching for it with no success. All I find is clothing and some other stuff but no flooring products.

Edit: Finally found some places with it. Here is one.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

lpxguy
Explorer
Explorer
SwanInWA wrote:
Make sure you get something that's waterproof, or at least highly water-resistant. Pergo can swell and warp when it gets wet, and in a camper, I excpect it'll get wet often.

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you get something that's waterproof, or at least highly water-resistant. Pergo can swell and warp when it gets wet, and in a camper, I excpect it'll get wet often.

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having installed laminate in a previous camper, a few things come to mind. Make sure you have an adequate expansion gap around the entire perimeter and allow for movement at penetrations like floor vents, toilet, table flange, etc. It's important to have the laminate free floating, esp. if you live where the winter to summer temps change a lot. Buy or make up a little molding/baseboard to cover up the gap.

I am not familiar with Pergo - is it a thin vinyl plank or thicker stuff? Height can be an issue sometimes and conflict with cabinet doors, door sills, toilet, etc. If you lift the toilet, don't forget to replace the gasket. In some cases, it's necessary to use a wax gasket to make the toilet seal properly against the floor flange.

Often, things aren't square, plumb, level or straight in RVs. Be prepared to have to scribe some of the pieces to get a good fit. Kneeling on the floor for long periods can be tough on the body - have Tylenol on hand!