cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Midi-Heki Glazing Dome (outside dome)

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
I have done searches on this site and the internet to find this.Other than Lance (which last fall I believe quoted me over $500 just for the dome) The replacement dome for my skylight are nowhere to be found anywhere in the US! I have tried purchasing it from online places overseas only to be told they cannot ship the replacement dome to me. Haven't asked about buying the entire thing, as I don't need it....and the prices with shipping are astronomical!

Anybody else found a place yet in the US for the outside dome? This is ridiculous and so frustrating!

Thanks in advance,

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992
17 REPLIES 17

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
A Fantastic fan is built like a tank compare to the Heki, even the new ones after Atwood took them over. Parts for a Fantastic fan (rarely needed) are available and reasonably priced.

The Heki Midi has a built in blackout shade screen - that's part of the "good concept". The shade is pretty flimsy, part of the "bad execution".

I do like the light that it brings in ("good concept") but it also lets in a lot of heat, and you are warned by Heki against closing it in bright sun or it will melt ("bad execution").

The Heki does allow access to the roof ("good concept") but has not been certified as an escape hatch so you have to have other means of fire egress ("bad execution").
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Bedlam
The cover is almost translucent and allows light through or around it (I tried a number of these in two different sizes at the RV shows we have attended although I have never owned one). A snap cover over the opening may be a solution, but it appears this hatch is heat sensitive and my be damaged if the cover is left on during the day. It does have a screen, but you have to open it if you want to adjust the hatch opening. As was posted, there is a crank version that allows the screen to stay in place.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
For us the ambient light while sleeping is an issue...

I would have considered one if it was designed more like a water tight marine hatch with an included blackout cover and screen insert...

My Heki, and I thought most, included the blackout cover and screen.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
The viable alternative is to have a Fan-tastic fan installed instead of the Heki.

Not a viable alternative for us. We'd give up a lot of light and have a useless to us fan. It would also prevent easy access to the roof from the bed. I do know this option is pushed by Arctic Fox, and they setup a lot that way. I think this means a lot of people like that setup, but not something we'd like.

Same here. Even if a fantastic fan fit in the Heki hole, it is far from the skylight the Heki offers and is not an escape hatch. The only problem I've had with my Heki was one time I left the hatch in the vent position. (The latch has 2 positions, one closed tight the other open about half an inch to vent.) The vent position allowed too much vibration and broke the latch. With that replaced and me now making sure the hatch is latched tight before hitting the road, I've had no other problems.
Dan

Bedlam
For us the ambient light while sleeping is an issue especially if we are en route to farther destinations and stop in a well lit parking lot overnight. Having the fan running creates white noise in areas where there is not silence plus draws out warm air from the cab over. Our Scamp, Weekend Warrior and Arctic Fox all had the same vent setup over the bed, so we are definitely used to this configuration. Roof access is not that frequent for me. I may spend more time cleaning solar panels on the new Host, but don't see myself up there that much more than the Arctic Fox. If on the road, I use the rear attached ladder and at home have access with a sectional ladder.

It's a subjective choice whether to have a cab over hatch or forward facing cab over window, so you have to weigh the benefits with the liabilities. I would have considered one if it was designed more like a water tight marine hatch with an included blackout cover and screen insert...

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bedlam wrote:
The viable alternative is to have a Fan-tastic fan installed instead of the Heki.

Not a viable alternative for us. We'd give up a lot of light and have a useless to us fan. It would also prevent easy access to the roof from the bed. I do know this option is pushed by Arctic Fox, and they setup a lot that way. I think this means a lot of people like that setup, but not something we'd like.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
The viable alternative is to have a Fan-tastic fan installed instead of the Heki. We see them failing on this forum, but see fewer posts about high profile vent covers failing even though they are much more numerous. I have no faith in Heki's design or longevity - Give me a standard vent and a cover so I can leave it open while traveling or while in the rain or snow.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Heki II isn't that bad. No, it's not perfect, but if they were truly as bad as some of you think, I don't think they would have survived this long. Granted, my shocks did die and one catch broke. However, I really don't like the alternatives that are available. My parts weren't that expensive.

It's not like the standard hatch covers didn't fail as well. There are other things that fail on campers as well.

Overall, we love the skylight and don't have a viable alternative.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
It would be a good idea to have a cover made (or buy one already made from Europe). The sun seems to eat these things. Out of the sun and treated like the fragile thing they are, it will probably last forever.

If someone needs the odd small part for repair, I have the complete unit I removed from my Bigfoot, all good except the dome.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again all! I ordered a complete new unit (not just the dome) from Metro RV in Burbank. It's very close to our city house. I did pay $689 for the entire thing though.... ๐Ÿ˜ž I'm going to bring the camper down the mountain and have them install it, as I just don't have the time or desire to do it myself with my current family obligations. I also didn't think about the crank up version in time either (good idea!) but I'm ok with the bar lift like I already have....

I also COMPLETELY AGREE with HMS Beagle's assessment of Dometic... They are using these things on hundreds and hundreds of RVs all over the US and they really do "rip off" the public with the quality and price of these! Ok, off soap box. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Cheers all, and happy camping!
Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Heki (Dometic really) should be ashamed of the quality of that product, and the after sales parts prices - which are unfortunately often needed. I was quoted $500 plus tax and shipping for just the dome from Dometic USA (had to come from Europe). I purchase a complete unit (the crank up version which is superior and costs more) from a German company on eBay. The total cost including 3 day shipping from Germany was less than $500. Go do eBay.de (German eBay) and type in Heki Midi. You can buy just the dome, the whole unit is available a lot of places for 308 Euro (about $324) and shipping of 120 Euro. Those prices typically include 17 precent VAT which will be taken off if shipped to the USA.

I do not understand why North American builders continue to use this product. It is a prime example of "good concept, bad execution". I do not understand why Dometic refuses to support the product they sell in any reasonable way.

If you do order a replacement from Europe, I recommend the crank up version rather than the lever operated. The mechanism is less fragile, and the crank can be operated without opening the bug scree, letting all the bugs in.

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on Northstar. I needed a new latch and they were very helpful and quick.
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
In case you missed it in the other thread...

I repaired the broken latch on my Heki with parts ordered from Northstar. Don't know what other parts they sell, but may be worth an email/phone call.
www.northstarcampers.com/contact-us
Tel: (319) 233-3461
Fax: (319) 233-6302
info@northstarcampers.com
I doubt it will be cheap.
Dan

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Send Steve a PM sabconsulting as he lives in the UK perhaps he could locate one and facilitate shipping if you wired him the funds
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags