cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Trend?

Lolaspeople
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone else noticed how many coaches pull into their sites rather then backing in?
I know some do it to take advantage of a view, but that means you're now sharing a front yard. And your dog has a fit every time they leave their rig, and they want to chat.
Not that we're antisocial but one of the joys of the RV lifestyle is enjoying the quiet of the outdoors in the privacy of your campsite.
Just wondering.
27 REPLIES 27

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
jwolf55 wrote:
On large coaches you must park with the rear higher than the front, The parking air brakes are applied to the rear wheels only, so when you use the leveling system you should not/can not lift the rear tires off the ground or you will slide down the hill and possibly bend your jacks.
So the site slope may be the reason they are driving in.
This is not the case on a TT or 5er that just pivets on the center axles but a long wheelbase coach is it an issue.

We had that happen with our previous coach (raising the rear wheels off the ground) at the American RV park in Albuquerque. The new area has all pull-through sites and are angled upward.

I put down the leveling jacks which raised the rear to level. Early, early, in the morning I felt a vibration. We were slowly sliding rearwards on the leveling jacks. So, I started up the engine, raised the jacks and leveled on the air bags, problem solved.

The new coach has air only leveling so we'll never lift the rear wheels.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

jwolf55
Explorer
Explorer
On large coaches you must park with the rear higher than the front, The parking air brakes are applied to the rear wheels only, so when you use the leveling system you should not/can not lift the rear tires off the ground or you will slide down the hill and possibly bend your jacks.
So the site slope may be the reason they are driving in.
This is not the case on a TT or 5er that just pivets on the center axles but a long wheelbase coach is it an issue.
Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN
2000 National Tradewinds 7373

Playtime_II
Explorer
Explorer
In extreme summer temps (e.g. TX 106, LA 103) we try to get a space that gets our roadside out of the direct afternoon sun. Our refer works better when it is out of the direct sun. At one park, all the spaces were the same direction so we asked if we could reverse park (park was empty) and was denied. We do cover the windshield from the outside which helps greatly but it was still darn hot.
Playtime IV
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
When my brother and us go camping together we do this all the time. One of us pulls in and the other backs in. This allows us to walk out in the same area as we all sit outside together. Now not all campgrounds are set up to allow this but when we can we do it. Never an issue in 10 years.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
In Michigan we have do it at one of our frequent favorite RV parks. Nice big field and trees the other side and not facing thee road.
On the other side of the road facing the lake too and not facing the road.
Nothing worth seeing on the road through the Parks. We try no to choose parks where the only sight is more rvs behind and the road in front.
Most Parks were laid out when the only RVs were Towables and the window was in the back. So you backed in so you can see the lake or the fields or whatever.
A lot of the Parks still have hookups on the wrong sides.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
No. Really don't care what others do as long as rules aren't taken advantage of.

RPreeb
Explorer
Explorer
I don't care what direction my camper faces as we don't live inside anyway. I can point my camp chair any direction I wish. ๐Ÿ™‚
Rick
2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 3.5 EB
2017 Jay Feather X213

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Our living room is in the front, the bedroom in the back. We don't sit in the bedroom. If the view is out the front I'll pull in. Most CG's we use it doesn't matter as they have large sites.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Why wouldn't I want to drive in to a site with this view at Robert Moses SP in upstate NY on the St Lawrence Seaway? I can easily reach power up to 75 ft away, and that site does not have water or sewer connections.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
So what about sites that are advertised as "Pull Through"?
If you pull through and your neighbor doesn't.....

I would be more concerned about hookups being easy to get to.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to Association Island campground, you WANT a drive-in site as the view out your front window is Lake Ontario. Plus, the water/sewer/electric connections are setup for pull-in instead of back-in.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
This old warhorse never wants to back out of a spot when leaving. Some dope could park in a way....

Or some dope with no control of their rig could back into a car.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will not stay in a RV park where that is allowed. I've never run into that problem at a Walmart parking lot, and I will not put up with it at RV parks either......:B
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
lc0338 wrote:
they just pull in because they are not good at backing maybe ๐Ÿ™‚
:B Good luck getting out

I saw a girl do this at a horse camp. She pulled in such that she only had to back straight back to continue down the road. Actually she pulled into a site and then moved to another side across the road.. pulling in both times.