cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Jack for Coachmen 192 RBS

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
The bottle jacks I have on hand will not reach high enough to a secure jacking point on our trailer frame. What do you recommend? Larger bottle jack? Andersen Rapid Jack? Other?

Also, seems to be some discussion about the proper jacking point on our 192 RBS. A call to our dealer was just a little too imprecise for my liking.

Your thoughts?
2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
8 REPLIES 8

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

Since the Rapid Jack can be flipped on it's side for this same use I could leave my wood stack at home ... love it when something like this can be used for more than one purpose. ๐Ÿ™‚

We actually did that for this past weekend, and it worked great - albeit on a smooth, concrete pad site. Due to its somewhat crescent shape I'd want to take a close look at uneven ground before using it under our landing jack. But then again, maybe I'm just a little too cautious . . . Still happy with it, regardless.
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Thanks for your report, I'll have to get an Andersen Rapid Jack for my own 192RBS. ๐Ÿ™‚

Last Train wrote:
I tested it yesterday on a concrete pad site when we were breaking camp from a long weekend trip.

So after my one test, I'd say sure, it works for our 192 RBS rigs. Let me know if you have other observations.

I always use a 6" stack to reduce tongue jack extension when camping on a "level" or tongue high site, only replace it with a single piece of plywood when on a tongue low site.

Since the Rapid Jack can be flipped on it's side for this same use I could leave my wood stack at home ... love it when something like this can be used for more than one purpose. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Thanks for your report, I'll have to get an Andersen Rapid Jack for my own 192RBS. ๐Ÿ™‚

I tested it yesterday on a concrete pad site when we were breaking camp from a long weekend trip. On fully inflated (50 psi - cold) tires, I placed the jack in front of the street side tandem wheel - just as if I were chocking the tire. With my wife carefully watching - and I think having someone watching is key -I just pulled forward slowly until she said "Stop." The result was that the rear tire was lifted perhaps 1 1/2" above the pavement. I didn't measure, but it was certainly sufficient to raise a fully inflated tire in order to remove it.

You know how our 192 RBS easily absorbs things like speed bumps, etc.? It just sort of glides over them (for non-owners). Well, this favorable attribute is why, admittedly after only one effort, that you really need someone observing when you need to stop on top of the Rapid Jack at the appropriate point. I really could not tell from inside our Ridgeline when I needed to stop. I could foresee that I might easily continue rolling forward with the Andersen then it flipping upward and getting caught in between the axles. I didn't take time to analyze the geometry, so maybe I'm just dead wrong. It was only eyeball analysis. But we had a 4+ hour trip to get home before us, and 18-20 mph headwinds, to boot, so we were in a hurry to hit the road.

My question about jacks for our rig was to have a "best practice" approach to raising the trailer. Certainly blocking a bottle jack is an obvious solution, but I kind of like to reduce the number of variables when lifting significant weight off the ground. So after my one test, I'd say sure, it works for our 192 RBS rigs. Let me know if you have other observations.
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
That doesn't work with all rigs depending on the axles and the equalizer. Try it before you need it.

Last Train wrote:
Turns out the Andersen Rapid Jack works like a charm on our rig. Did a live test to be sure.

Unfortunate we can't also use the Andersen Leveler. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
That doesn't work with all rigs depending on the axles and the equalizer. Try it before you need it.

Any bottle jack should reach if placed under the axle at the spring attachment point. That is the same place the weight is carried when on the road. In fact, when you have a flat tire, the jack may be too tall.

Appreciate the feedback. Turns out the Andersen Rapid Jack works like a charm on our rig. Did a live test to be sure.
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Last Train wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
blocks under the jack
...we went ahead and sprung for an Andersen Rapid Jack. Hope we never have to use it...

Any bottle jack should reach if placed under the axle at the spring attachment point. That is the same place the weight is carried when on the road. In fact, when you have a flat tire, the jack may be too tall.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
blocks under the jack

Truly the obvious solution, and we do have blocks on hand for that kind of use. Appreciate the affirmation. But I was thinking about the eventuality of unstable or sloping ground surface under the jack. Sort of worst case scenario type thinking. I probably should have noted that in my original post.

Since we are headed out this morning for an extended weekend camping trip to NE Texas, we went ahead and sprung for an Andersen Rapid Jack. Hope we never have to use it, but it does give me an additional option to the blocks under our existing bottle jack.

Hope I do not have to be on here reporting on its use!
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
blocks under the jack
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers