cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV solar systems

Stan_1945
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about adding solar panels to our travel trailer. I need to maintain 2 6 volt agm golf cart batteries. The trailer will be setting for 7-10 days and I want to keep the refrigerator on using propane. I think the electronics will drain the batteries, I will not be connected to any power source during the 7-10 day period. We will be dry camping more in the future. Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm running two fixed 150w Samlex panesl for a total 300w with a 30a Samlex controller and I have no problem keeping the two 6v batteries up while on extended boondock trips. Best example is camping at the Mojave Desert in November for a week. Temps went down to the mid 20's each night. We kept the coach at 60 degrees with heater on at night. Each day the sun was out and charged everything back up just fine. This whole trip there was ample sunshine. It seems to charge fine with fog too. Surely not as much charge as sunshine but it's not "dead in the water" on a foggy day. I'm a big fan of a "fixed set up" for solar. I never have to think about it...........it just works.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Read pianotuna's write up. Do an energy audit to determine battery bank size. Unless you always camp in full sun and never have cloudy days I suggest 120 to 140 watts of solar per 100Ah of battery. While more work a combination of tilted and portable usually works best in the East and during winter.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agreed with the 200 watts for boon docking. I have 200 watts feeding a 230 ah battery bank and never run out of power.

mikakuja
Explorer
Explorer
200 watts (minimum) flat mounted will work fine to keep 2 6v's charged up while you are away, and will definitely extend your dry camping time with moderate use of lights and other electronics. This is assuming you can park in an area that gets a good amount of peak sun hours. We started out with a 200w system and were very happy with the results. It didn't take long to get the solar bug and increase the system though...
Good luck and have fun with it.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Stan,

Follow this link for my thoughts on solar:

https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wsc7050
Explorer
Explorer
I also have 2 6v and have a 100 watt on roof and a 100w poartable. Works, great!

MikeInOregon
Explorer
Explorer
Our solar system has worked great when dry camping. We have two 6 volt AGM batteries providing 220 amp hours of power. I keep them charged with a 150 watt solar panel on top of the trailer and a 100 watt portable panel. The portable panel is easily moved around to follow the sunlight when we are camping in shady conditions in the forest. I recommend to consider a portable panel as part of your solar configuration.
2015 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost
2015 Creekside 20FQ
ProPride Hitch

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Minimum solar one watt per battery amp. I love my solar set up.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad