cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winnebago VIEW tire stem HELP

HawkTX
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a new 2017 Winnebago View. Love it so far! I went to check air pressure and the fronts valve stems are easy enough, but the back stems are almost impossible to get to. Am I really going to have to remove the rear hubcaps every time I want to check PSI or add air? What a horrible design. So then I did some research and some people say valve extensions are the solution and others say DON'T DO IT because they cause flats due to leak issues. I would really appreciate some insight on this subject from some of you experienced RV'ers.

Also, How do you remove the back hubcap/similator on these things? Do they just pop off with a hubcap tool? I didn't have much time to mess with it today, but I noticed a screw on it. Maybe I have to unscrew it to pop it off and then the outside cap. Here is a pic of it:

10 REPLIES 10

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
If those are WBO factory simulators, they are a press fit into the wheel and many have been lost after improper reinstallation. I do see what looks like a screw head at about the 1 o'clock position, are there screws? If so, they are what is holding the simulator on. This is how the Real Wheels simulators are installed.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Tireman/Chuck and Borg/Bill are the pioneers in this business. Their valves are the Gold Standard for RV Rear Duals.

Debate over which is better is a Ford/Chevy - Coke/Pepsi kind of exercise.

I have heard nothing but GOOD about both products, both sellers. My experience happens to be with Borg and Bill.

All I have is a rear set from Borg. Ordinary "truck" metal bolt-in valves work fine for our fronts and spare. I bought a set of Air-Through Caps from NAPA.

Do the set you can get and get installed. Just so long as you do it.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Have the same problem on mine. I just ordered a set of solid brass ones from tireman. $135 for 6, then have to have the tires deflated, valves installed, tires re-inflated and balanced. Not sure what that will cost, but truck repair place I get my work done at said it shouldn't be too hard. Also wanted some pressure monitors installed and solid stems are a must. Tireman guy sees like a good old boy with a backyard business, but we talked for a wile on the phone and he seems to know what he's doing. Very helpful, and I should have my stems by this weekend, and installed next week.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
There are several View/Navion yahoo groups that you should join:

Info

Tech

Mods
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I have/do : the RV came with braided valve extenders. Seeing that they might rub against the steel wheel or chrome wheel cover, I bought a few feet of transparent plastic tubing...local hardware store, cut them to size and slipped them over the braided lines.

Since 2001....never a problem with leakage or anything else.

Of course, now having said that...........

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is needed is a extended valve stem that will let you quickly check your tire pressure. Extenders have a very bad habit of leaking.

The best on the market,that are the original,are Tire Man.

Chuck is the original designer of these an he has been around for years. If you have any questions just give him a call, he is always happy to help. Any others are just cheap reproductions of the original.

The kit looks like This it is for all 6 wheels,they also come with flow-thru valve caps so you don't even need to take then off to check the pressure.

Here is a list of all the products he sells.

They are compatible with all Tire monitor systems.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Y-Guy
Hub caps on my Sightseer are very similar. You should have what looks like a T-handle attached to a socket, I recall this is a 9/16 socket. There will be two "lug" nuts with dimples in them, those are the two you remove to take off the simulator hub cap.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to Borg Dually Valves which are now available at Camping World. CW seems to be selling them below direct order price, and sometimes has specials or coupons.

There are more part numbers for Sprinter than I expected, so you'd need to look at several to match the right kit for your specific wheels.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
This comes up every so often, the stems are almost impossible to get to with your type of wheel, so you need some different valve stems. I purchased from this guy Tireman and had Discount Tire remove the old original stems and install his. Works perfectly and when you decide to also purchase TST tire monitor system to keep an eye on all your tires while underway, the senders will screw on easily. And your caps I think unscrew and come off with the removal of that 1 screw.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Go see your local truck tire dealer. They can fix it for you. And show you whatever you need to know. The right extensions are no problem, have had them on duallies for years, the wrong one, or cheap ones can really cause problems.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.