cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie questions- battery charger, battery, etc.

Chandne
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, I just picked up a Lance 1575 and since it is my first trailer, I was looking to get a few things done. An important thing is to keep my battery charged up. I have a group 27 Interstate battery 12v now and may replace it with a group 31 Trojan or maybe two group 27s. However, I do not know if I need one trickle battery charger or a bigger one. I don't know how long they will take to charge or if a trickle charger and if I need two chargers.

Do you guys have any recommendations? I have a million questions and this is one I could not find in the FAQs or anything. I have tons of questions but will continue to read the FAQs and also camp a couple of times before I post too many. Thanks in advance!
12 REPLIES 12

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you asking about storage or just from one weekend till the next?

For storage disconnect the battery bank. Remove the terminals. Reconnect to top off every couple of months & disconnect again.

For week to week, keeping the fridge on & other small AC & DC users leave it on the converter. When it is time to replace the converter get a decent multi stage one.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Works for me: 2-battery Battery Tender hard mounted next to batteries, batteries with blade switches open when parked and not in use, trailer on 50amp shore power, gator clips to 'plug in' batteries to Battery Tender.
FWIW, with exception of the cars & trucks we use almost daily, everything we have that has 6/12V batteries is kept on a Battery Tender until we need to use it.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
The 12 Volt Side of life.

Print this and keep it next to your voltmeter.

Take some of what is stated in the 12 Volt Side Of Life with a grain of salt.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a $5 Battery maintainer on eBay. The wires to power and battery had to be replaced because the insulation cracked in cold weather. It has 1 amp maximum and actually charges a battery given enough time but then the current is virtually zero and the voltage rises over 15 volts, which makes me fear for the thousand dollar vehicle computer. Got a $15 one at a local auto store which has voltage regulation to a max of 13.6 volts, half an amp. I think this is a good maintainer but it would take days to charge a battery discharged half way.

Check the voltage provided to the battery by your converter. If only 13.6 V it is just doing what my $15 maintainer does. A good one charges at 14.4 to 14.8, then drops to 13.6 to maintain.

X2 on the solar. I put a 100 watt Renogy kit on our small Motorhome and that keeps the batteries always over 80% when boondocking for a week in summer. We have modest electricity needs with no inverter or TV, Of course always 100% charged at home. Solar charge controllers typically provide the 14.8 v for optimum charging.

I didn't know what was going on before getting a battery monitor and the first pair of batteries didn't last very long - the voltage chart for battery charge level only works several hours after charging has stopped. This cheapo monitor displays the % of full charge all the time by counting amp-hours going in and out of the batteries. eBay $30 battery monitor
It is a little hard to install; a little electrical knowledge and skill with wires is necessary.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Add a modest solar system.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
You only need one maintenance charger. If you get a small one then yes plug the RV in 8+ hours to give a charge before you set the battery on the maintainer.

Using a larger 5+ amp maintenance charger is fine also.

I would avoid low cost trickle chargers. Get quality such a Battery Minder or Battery Tender brands.

Chandne
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys! I'll print out that diagram. I am not sure of the stock converter since the trailer is back in the shop. I assume that is what you're referring to, westend...what is on the trailer. In the winter, I will likely take the battery off and keep it charged/maintained in the garage or something, as long as it isn't in the house.

SoundGuy- I was referring to specific types of trickle chargers or higher-amp chargers for winter maintenance or simply to bring batteries up to full charge (let's say overnight) while not on the trailer. I was reading that some people could not get batteries fully charged by trickle chargers when the battery was too drained. They had to use higher-amp chargers that were faster as well. So I was not sure if I needed one lower-amp (.75-1.0) and one higher-amp (3-10?) charger.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Chandne wrote:
Do you guys have any recommendations?

I thought we already went through this in this recent discussion. Maybe re-read that thread? :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

westend
Explorer
Explorer
What brand and model of converter do you have?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
When connected to shore power the on board converter will charge/maintain charge on camper batteries

When driving the truck alternator will help maintain camper battery

When off the grid......need to have generator or solar panels to recharge camper battery (NO.....running truck will not do it)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Plug the trailer into a 120VAC outlet and let the converter charger do its job. Check battery water level every month or so during the off season.