cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this common?

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new at this Class C, yesterday I was driving it and a semi trailer came by and was like it push and pull my unit. I never experience this before but I am new at Class C. Is this something I should get use to it?
17 REPLIES 17

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
When traveling in our 24' C {Nexus Phantom - which has the proper psi, alignment and loading}, winds up to 35 mph are nothing but a mild aggravation which requires little more than one handed steering. Above 35 I will start to look for a comfortable place to get off the road until it lays down. Rode out 35 to 45 gusting over 50 for 3 days last month at the Riverside RV Park in Laughlin.

With the internet, smart phones and detailed weather forecasting readily available just about everywhere there is really no reason to get caught in anything more. We crossed Tornado Alley twice on a cross country trip and were able to dodge a number of serious storms and fronts. Frankly I was more concerned with the potential for hail damage than high winds. If it's too windy you just park but there aren't many places you can get out of the hail.

:C

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
Another time with cross winds that you need to be careful in is when you come up to a deep cut and the banks of the cut are high. If the wind is blowing on the right side and you hit the cut all of sudden it comes at you from the left. Then when you get it adjusted for that side you come out of the cut and then you are pushed the other way again.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
Photomike wrote:
Around here it is the wind that causes an issue with the semis and shelter belts. You will be driving down the road correcting your steering to keep you in your lane then a semi will pass you or you will pass a row of shelter belt trees and the wind will stop or change direction and you are all of a sudden in the opposite lane or on your way into the ditch.

A 60mph cross wind stopping all of a sudden is a horrible feeling if you were not ready for it.

I know that feeling! We try not to travel when the winds are over 20 mph. If we do, I have 2 hands on the wheel and am ready.
Brian

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Around here it is the wind that causes an issue with the semis and shelter belts. You will be driving down the road correcting your steering to keep you in your lane then a semi will pass you or you will pass a row of shelter belt trees and the wind will stop or change direction and you are all of a sudden in the opposite lane or on your way into the ditch.

A 60mph cross wind stopping all of a sudden is a horrible feeling if you were not ready for it.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Something I was taught in a rving driving class was to slightly touch the gas pedal as the passing semi was at the rear of your rv. This seemed to stabilize the motorhome for me. I also use this technique with the truck and fiver altho the semis do not affect the fifth wheel as much.

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Actually my older "B" high top camper van was worse with side wind than my 27' C is. Got nearly blown out of the lane in that sometimes. Still, you will get use to it.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
What is the wheel base to length ratio? Ideal is 55%. (i.e. 176 inch wheel base to 312 inch length).

Some improvement can be made by adding air tabs. They also improve the noise level in the RV.

I'm adding a cage for my generator to the front of my class C. The front end is too light.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it takes two hands and any significant effort to control the wheel when trucks pass or on windy days something is wrong. With the proper alignment, tire pressure and loading there should be very little shove from a passing truck. Sadly not all C's are created equal when it comes to ride and handling. A thorough test drive before you buy to include some interstate time where you can experience the effects of passing trucks will eliminate surprises down the road.

Get the rig weighed and check your tire pressures based upon the tire manufacturers inflation guide for the actual weight they are carrying. Get the tires right and then look at your alignment. You should be able to let go of the steering wheel {yes, keep your hands hovering close by...}, and have your coach track straight down the lane without drifting. Also look at the tires for any signs of uneven wear indicating alignment issues.

:C

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
LOL! You'll learn to appreciate the aerodynamics of semi trucks. The big new Volvos slip by quite nicely. The big old square-nosed Peterbuilts will give you a nice shove, though!

Our previous C handled like the proverbial Family Wagon - except for that passing truck thing....

Also - it you think it's frisky when a truck passes you going the same direction - it's twice as impressive when they are headed your way on a 2-lane highway. As others have said, creeping a bit to the right helps lessen the push.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
No matter what is done, it's simply not going to behave like a little car in these situations, as is only to be expected given the much larger side area of a motorhome.

Amen, Brother! I find it hard to believe those who write "Handles like a big SUV." I expect to have to be very attentive to my driving in the RV, our van, even my pickup. They are NOT like some of the GM cars I remember where I could feel a center "notch" in the steering where it'd stay in lane for about a mile at a time.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It certainly is normal to be somewhat affected by side winds (including passing semis). However, it's also entirely possible that the problem is exacerbated by poor design, poor weight distribution, or poor alignment/suspension setup or both. There's not a lot you can do about a poor design (things like having too long of a rear overhang relative to the length of the vehicle), but there may be things you can do rather easily in the other areas to improve matters.

Checking the weights involves weighing the axles separately and rearranging cargo as much as practical to even things out; in particular, having too little weight on the front axle can lead to all sorts of handling annoyances. If the fresh water tank is well aft of the rear axle, traveling with little fresh water would be one way to help. Moving stuff to forward compartments or cabinets also helps.

Having the alignment and suspension checked by a competent suspension shop--one that deals with trucks preferably--would possibly help things as well. The Ford E series chassis in particular sometimes come from the builders with insufficient caster for motorhome service; ask them to adjust that towards the high end of the specification. Other suspension upgrades may also help a lot depending on the specific situation and vehicle.

No matter what is done, it's simply not going to behave like a little car in these situations, as is only to be expected given the much larger side area of a motorhome.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
It goes with the Class C Territory. That said, if the front suspension and steering parts are good, the alignment is right, loading's well distributed, and tire pressures (especially Fronts on Fords) match the front axle weight (truck scale), it'll be minimized. I've done all that on ours and it drives pretty well. Still, trucks will push it like you said.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
You will notice a big difference in the severity of the "push". Some semis build a much larger "air-dam" in front of themselves while others that are more aerodynamic, slide by with a much gentler nudge. IT really will make you appreciative of how much extra power(fuel) it takes to push our cracker boxes at higher speeds. What tobydad said about moving over a bit does help it gives that big volume of air more room to get away without building as much pressure between the truck and your rig.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Quite normal; When on the interstate, keep an eye on your mirror for passing
semis and anticipate the sway but DON'T fight it, go with flow and it will pass.
Gerry