Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

mud flaps

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer

Here's my truck and camper.

Here's my trailer that I will be towing behind my camper.

Would you still use one of these or something similar?
Or do you think the stuff on my trailer will be safe from road debris?
Camp Host, from the other side.
22 REPLIES 22

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
After getting a trailer for my kayak, I got a Rock Star guard. The very first outing, I coated the front side of the Rock Star with white road paint. Must have driven through a puddle of it somewhere without noticing. None of it hit the yak. After arriving at camp, I picked a few bits of gravel out the yak from some brand new chip seal we had driven over. I found no damage from it, though. Expensive guard, but worth it.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely things to ponder for sure.

My biggest problem with mud flaps on the truck is appearance. That's what I struggle with, stupid I know.

I like the looks of a regular cab truck, that's what a truck is supposed to look like. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm sure to some my truck is butt ugly but I like the clean no nonsense look of it. I even pealed the stupid 4X4 stickers off the bed the day I bought it. I don't like stickers. ๐Ÿ™‚

So, back to the drawing board for the "enclosure" for my generator, 30 gallons of extra fresh water, propane and gas cans.

I marvel at how small the tanks are in campers. That to me is the single biggest drawback to a slide-in camper.

Then I'll hit the road and see just how much of the road hits my trailer.

Thanks for all the replies. I do appreciate them.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
It's not for the trailer but for the truck I run full, old-school diamond plate running boards.
I think the truck looks better without them, but they do a terrific job of saving the paint and keeping the truck a lot cleaner. Nothing else works as well. And if you take the time to hit 'em with some metal polish (anything but Mothers) now and then, they don't look that bad.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Rubiranch wrote:
I appreciate the responses.

I keep looking and now thinking along the line of a set of these instead.

I've never owned something that gets soo dirty when it rains, snows or even traveling down a wet dirt road as this truck does.

I just think they'll look goofy. LOL

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Molded-2007-2013-Sierra-Guards/dp/B01FI0FALK/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1487785690&sr=1-1&keywords=mud+flaps+for+2011+2500+chevy+trucks

Those don't provide much coverage for the truck.
I'd get a set of ProFlaps, DuraFlaps or Ultimateflaps

THen add a set of Rocktamers
Bob

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I use similar ones called Rock Tamers on my trucks, but they are adjustable instead of fixed.

Rock Tamers FOR THE WIN!!

That's what I'd recommend

You can adjust them for various ride heights of your truck.
Bob

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Splash guards are molded and provide minor coverage. True mud flaps are heavier, wider, longer, and stop much more debris. Additional receiver mounted flaps like Rock Tamers provide extra protection for trailer loads. Each has a purpose.

Depending on rear overhang and trailer tongue length, you may not need additional coverage but receiver mounted flaps will definitely help keep debris from your trailer.

I have DuraFlaps on my current truck and love the additional coverage. My trailer has drive on/off ramps on the front that protect my trailer loads from most everything else.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess it depends on where you are driving.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Flaps at the wheels might be okay for truck and camper only but in no way are sufficient for towing. The bow of my boat looks like it got shot with a shotgun and a couple rounds of bird shot. I have since gone to the Rock Tamers. If that doesn't work, I'm going for a trailer bra.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I really like my molded Husky flaps.

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
rottidawg wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Maybe think about making or buying a salt shield for the trailer.
Can make one easily out of a piece of plywood.....

This is the first thing I would do and also the cheapest and most effective.

I think this is what I'll end up doing.

I want to build some type of an enclosure with sides, front and a hinged top to protect my generator and use them as a "sound barrier" to direct the noise from the generator away from my camper.

I'm still considering some mud flaps for the truck itself.

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Rubiranch wrote:
thanks Jim - I think that's the way I'm leaning, molded mud flaps.

The molded flaps did not provide enough coverage for my truck. So it wore a belt and suspenders to keep its pants up and the debris down.

Must be a pretty healthy trailer you're towing.

Still not sure what to do.

rottidawg
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Maybe think about making or buying a salt shield for the trailer.
Can make one easily out of a piece of plywood.....

This is the first thing I would do and also the cheapest and most effective.
2012 Chevy 2500HD LTZ CCSB 4x4 gas
2012 Four Wheel Camper Hawk
2008 Harley Street Glide

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
I also found the molded ones didn't really provide enough coverage on my old truck. The new truck is sporting some Duraflaps as a previous poster mentioned at least for my truck they had some direct fit no drilling necessary and you get them in various sizes longer and/or wider than the standard if you like. For me the extra long would be to long for when I am off road and having to backup in brushy or rutted type stuff as they could catch but only on road the longer would be fine.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Bedlam
Rubiranch wrote:
thanks Jim - I think that's the way I'm leaning, molded mud flaps.

The molded flaps did not provide enough coverage for my truck. So it wore a belt and suspenders to keep its pants up and the debris down.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD