cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost transmission dip stick...

jtad
Explorer
Explorer
Went to check trans level yesterday on my 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor (330 Cummins/Allison) and pulled the cap/dip stick...No dip stick, guess it fell off the cap and slid down into the pan. Anyone had this happen? Hoping I can disconnect the tub from the pan and find it sitting there bottomed out in the pan.. Its too long to fall all the way in and go somewhere.
2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40DST
14 REPLIES 14

Old_Blue
Explorer
Explorer
You may have a dip stick under your engine cover at rear of M/H, that is where mine was. Also had a empty stick, pulled trans pan, no stick there, but one in engine compartment. Had all checked by Allison trans shop. Good luck
We have a 07 HR Neptune with 325 cummins/ Allison
Bill
Bill
36 Holiday Rambler
Harley Rider

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW..My 350 Cummins ISC has a Tranny dipstick.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

jtad
Explorer
Explorer
Good ideas all around.. Thanks

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Just take a length of steel wire and bend the end into a bit of a corkscrew shape. Shove it down the tube while twisting and it'll wrap around the lost dipstick.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
One of those mechanical claw grabber thingies might do the trick. The long flexible kind like this would probably be the most suitable. (I'm not suggesting that this particular one is or is not a good deal....)

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
My tube is curved and there is a lot of friction to pull it out in my case a magnet would not work. If you have a straight run with no friction you have a chance.

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
On my rig (CAT/Allison on a Spartan chassis) the top 3 feet of the dipstick is made of a stainless steel cable so a magnet will not work. However, the tube can be disconnected at the top of the tranny. Hopefully you have a similar setup. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

jtad
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea fellas...

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
T18skyguy wrote:
Find yourself a local Snap-on dealer with a tool truck. On that truck they have two types of magnets on extensible sticks. The size of the magnets vary but you want one that obviousy fits down your dip tube. One of them extends straight like a telescope and will go down straight. The other is on a copper wire about the thickness of a coat hangar and will go down and follow the contour. My guess is that you may be able to retrieve it with one of those. I have both as part of my tool arsenal. They work well.
I had the same first thought. Fish it out with a magnet.

X3 I have a few of the extensible stick type from Auto Zone they are like two bucks
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
T18skyguy wrote:
Find yourself a local Snap-on dealer with a tool truck. On that truck they have two types of magnets on extensible sticks. The size of the magnets vary but you want one that obviousy fits down your dip tube. One of them extends straight like a telescope and will go down straight. The other is on a copper wire about the thickness of a coat hangar and will go down and follow the contour. My guess is that you may be able to retrieve it with one of those. I have both as part of my tool arsenal. They work well.
I had the same first thought. Fish it out with a magnet.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

jtad
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought the coach it was missing the cap, the deal ordered a new one and put it on before we picked it up. I have had the coach for two years and have checked the fluid level numerous times.. It had a dip stick..

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You do not have one. With it warmed up and engine running (145+) push both arrow keys and it will tell you the level.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
jtad, I thought it happened to me too but I don't think we ever had dip stick for the transmission for ours, just the cap. They say it's best to check the level at the shift-pad.

I think I was so used to looking at the oil dip-stick that I subconsciously thought I had one for the tranny too. I looked in there with a flashlight and didn't see anything.

MM.

On edit: We had a '08 Monaco Dynasty 425 Cummins/Allison

Our Volvo engine has a tranny dip stick.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins