Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driving our homebuilt rig to Alaska....questions

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
Hey,

Some of you might know our homebuilt RV (truck camper, toyhauler, class C...it really doesn't fit a category). For those who don't, we built a living pod and a garage/workshop pod that both go on a 2006 Isuzu NRR 4cyl diesel 20 foot flatbed truck with 19.5 Toyo M608Z tires. The garage pod holds our motorcycles and has tools + workbench while the living pod is where we sleep. Both pods are removable with jacks we carry in the underboxes but it takes an hour or two. We have completed a 11,000 mile trip of the lower 48 from Washington state to Florida pulling our 17 foot sailboat with no problems although the rig is slow up the mountains. We are thinking of leaving the sailboat for the trip to Alaska and perhaps leaving the 400 pound cnc milling machine and canoe/kayak to lighten up the garage pod.

So, the questions:

1) The truck is 2wd and we do have brand new dually chains but I have never driven the truck in snow. Is it likely we will not encounter much real snow if we leave mid April and take about a month to get to Anchorage?

2) I go slow already, around 52mph during the 11,000 mile trip of the lower 48, which nets me about 10mpg pulling the sailboat. If I want to go even slower through most of the Al-Can, is it relatively easy to let people pass? Turnouts or just not that heavy of traffic?

3) At 10mpg I have a max range of about 300 miles with the 31 gallon tank. I was thinking of taking at least 10 gallons more diesel. Is that silly or not enough?

4) We don't carry a spare 19.5 tire for space and weight reasons, plus we don't have a jack that can lift the truck itself or a breaker bar to turn the lugs. Should I think hard about carrying a spare? In the lower 48 my plan was to just call a truck service but we have not had an issue to date with the new, heavy tread tires (which now have about 12,000 miles on them). A spare plus jack plus breaker bar is probably going to be 150 pounds, which subtracts from our cargo, but we are dropping the cnc milling machine and not having the tongue weight of the sailboat so it is possible.

Thanks and here are a few of pics of our rig:

20 REPLIES 20

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Some final thoughts:

- The scenery in Alaska is spectacular. One can see more of it and more variation with toys (sno-go, ATV/Dirt Bike, boat, or airplane);
- Depending on the size of your boat/trailer, shoreside storage (i.e. parking the boat trailer) can be pretty costly at the coastal towns on the road system (as mentioned, Valdez, Homer, Seward) or at the areas near lakeside (i.e. Big Lake, Finger Lakes, etc) especially during the season. Most places have transient slips in the water but limit the duration of stay....and depending on location, getting a "permanent" slip may involve waiting. Also, although I don't know how it will play out this year, but last year, of course I checked in mid-season, a couple of places would only rent shoreside storage by the month....but I was looking for a 40' spot. Depending where you setup camp, it detracts from the experience a bit if every sailing trip involves a drive of several hours and launching and loading each time.
- Sleepers: a real PITA, ranking right up there with seaweed and related debris for powerboaters. Sleepers can be either naturally-fallen stuff that washes out to sea or (more frequently) timber (i.e. harvested, no branches) that has gone wandering during transit. Like Icebergs, most of the timber is below water with only a bit above water. Definitely hard to see and can cause damage if hit at speed. If one hits them end-on, doesn't take much speed to do the damage.
- OP mentioned a kicker.....obviously needed if one will be taking their sailboat in/out of the various harbors. Not needed quite as much if sailing on lakes....but very convenient.
- In years gone by, I've worked at Prudhoe and at Barter Island and gone hunting at Purkeypile: all of which experienced still air temps in the -50's and wind chill that was off the chart. However, the most miserably cold that I ever got was going out of Homer in a powerboat late March. The OP will be up a couple months later...but keep in mind that it will be pretty cool on the salt until well into summer...and the water's cold all the time.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This info is second-hand, so I can't vouch for it -- but I knew someone who was a fisherman in the Valdez area who said that there are waterlogged logs in the coastal waters that can easily puncture a hull. He called them "sleepers" -- he said that they are very hard to see or to avoid. I would think that a sailboat, which does not stop on a dime, would be at risk.

But I don't really know if this risk is significant or just occasional.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
I am leaving in a few days to head to Fairbanks hauling my 33 foot trailer. By April you will be fine.

I disagree with many here...take your boat if you want there is great sailing in Valdez, Homer and Seward. But take a spare for the boat trailer. If you are a competent sailor you wont have a problem.

And while it is true that it CAN snow at any time. At that time of year it doesnt last long (a day) and usually the roads are cleared very quickly...at least in Alaska. This would be low on my list of worries.

The road is good and I am sure it will be no problem for you. Have Fun.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cool trip!
300 mi range will keep you from needing to use your spare fuel, but there are places along the way that you may need to re fill at half a tank to not run out before the next station. Don't ask me how I know....
You got a diesel, I'd put a slip tank in that thing and fill er up before hitting the border and re fill everything where the fuel is cheaper, like anchorage and the bigger towns in Canada. At a minimum I'd pack some emergency fuel.....and a spare.
Driving slow is what it is. You won't be the only one and in the frost heaves, it won't matter, since you have to slow down.
Bringing the bikes will be a blast. Lots of unbelievable riding up there. Same for Sno machines.
Only difference from anywhere else is you can actually get away from civilization. And it's unbelievably beautiful.
Mid April could easily still put some snow on most of the roads between middle of BC and everywhere north.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
One sees quite a few of the Isuzu's running around Los Anchorage, even in winter. Different box setup than yours, though.

If you're going to be chasing the snow to go snowmobiling, while it depends on where you are going to (and from)....just bring the chains. The major roads will be maintained to some degree at least and if you have chains, I suspect you'd be able to navigate any secondary roads to your drop-off point. In 20+ years of sno-going, I only had trouble twice with my 4WD pickup: Once in the parking area near Petersville and once on an ATV trail near Big Lake that I convinced myself was simply a snow covered access road. Chains would have saved hours of time and buckets in either situation.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
I think the very first thing on the list for an Alaska trip is tires. Having tires in good condition and having the appropriate spares for your vehicles.

I had a heck of a time finding a 19.5 tire in Florida. Another time 60 miles east of Kansas City--wasn't so hard, but had to wait 2 hours for Wing Foot to bring some. That isn't going to happen along the Alaska Highway.

I think you will find hauling the boat up and back to be a HUGE Pita. I can assure you your trip will be much easier without it.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
This is May long weekend 2016. Yes it can snow any time of the year.If someone tells you otherwise they are not from here. Chances are you won't need chains but it won't hurt to have them just in case.

oldokie
Explorer
Explorer
It would be nice if you had an enclosed trailer to carry your spare stuff. An open trailer would be very handy and not be too heavy. I have a 5x8 two wheel open that I would build a box that would fit on it and carry my extra stuff in it.
2001 excursion 7.3 diesel
2013 starcraft autumn ridge 27bh

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input so far guys, keep it coming...Alaska virgin.

There is a (very) long build thread on rv.net about our camper here:
Flatbed Camper

The Isuzu cab isn't that bad...we have driven 11,000 miles in the past 9 months in it. I think maybe the weight we have on it has dampened the ride because it doesn't bother me. My butt gets tired after about 6 hours though. The visibility and turning of the 28 foot rig is amazing. I can do a u-turn in a normal two lane road without getting the wheels on the grass. Hitting a moose is not going to be fun though, so I am going to try really hard to avoid that.

You have convinced me to not tow the sailboat. We had pretty much decided to leave it behind even though we do sail saltwater in it (only 3 to 5 foot seas in 20 knot winds). Also leaving the milling machine as I bet I will be too busy seeing the sights to use it. We have a 12 foot port-a boat folding boat we carry in addition to the sailboat, canoe, kayak and paddle board, so I will take just that and the 6hp kicker from the sailboat.

All of that saves me about 600 pounds, so I will buy a 19.5 Toyo and a spare rim and get it mounted. I will take a bottle jack and a breaker bar or something that can turn the rather large lug nuts. We have Klim gear in storage which must go since I think we will spend at least one winter up there and ride snow machines. We did that a lot in Washington State and actually designed the garage pod to hold two snow machines. The problem is the truck isn't a snow capable truck or I am not a snow capable driver in it so not sure what we will do about getting machines to the snow (have to buy the machines up in Alaska too).

Definitely taking the WR250R bikes. They are so much fun off road and street legal too. We do carry a spare 1 gallon on each bike...so about a 160 mile range.

I am getting a bit excited.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I've never attempted anything like that but have been to Alaska a number of times. I agree with leaving the sailboat home-as others have said there aren't a lot of places to use it. I do, however, find it hard to believe you'd venture that way without at least one spare and that you are concerned about an additional weight of what, maybe 100 lbs? As far as your concern on the space, could you mount the tire on top of the toy hauler? I would think that with those bikes not being very large it would fit inside. Just musing as I realize how jealous I am!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
Very cool set up. I have a question. Did you do anything different to the cab? I own several Isuszu NPR HD's and they are great work trucks, although I would not want to ride more than a 100 miles on those seats. They are as thin and stiff as they come.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™d just wait out any snow. We found that the fast drivers were the locals and many tourists. Traffic was light so they could pass as desired. Rocks from passing or oncoming traffic are another concern. Oncoming truckers generally moved as far right as possible because they didnโ€™t want your rocks. Fuel is usually available but if you get it at the smaller locations expect to pay more and maybe a lot more. The general advice is to not go below 1/2 full which would be 150 miles. Consider carrying 15 additional gallons. If you have an unmounted spare carry it and let the tow truck change the tire. Without it the time and cost will go up.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"We don't carry a spare 19.5 tire for space and weight reasons"

Would make me very nervous.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
I'd take the jack and spare(s) for sure. The sailboat would be up to you (obviously) but as stated above, there aren't a huge number of places to use it in Alaska, particularly if not equipped/willing for saltwater. There are sailboats up here, but most are a bit larger and focus on the saltwater...but one will see a few sails on the lakes when it's warm out.

I'd leave your milling machine...but take the kayak/canoe and bikes. Lots of opportunity to use both.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN