cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ProPride 3P Hitch Question

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
Well... I stumbled across the 3P hitch info last night.. I was very intrigued by their videos, and I spent a couple of hours browsing this forum as well as some other online reviews. Their product is pretty much given high praise across the board... I was very impressed.

In addition, I sent them a question via their web site, describing my truck and the camper we are considering... asking which model of hitch they'd recommend. Even at 11:00 PM at night I got a reply from Sean within a half an hour.

True, the hitch is a bit more than double the price of some others I looked at.... but that price wont seem like much if you're standing on the shoulder looking at your belongings strewn down the highway, and your truck and camper laying upside-down in the ditch.... or worse..

That being said... I do have a question for anyone with personal experience with the 3P hitch: How does it react to uneven terrain... such that would result in your truck leaning to the right, and your camper to the left... is there enough give to avoid damage? I know this wouldn't be the norm, but some campground have rough roads, potholes and such... I was just wondering how tolerant the hitch was to situations like that.. Is is susceptible to damage, or could it damage your trailer as a result?

Thanks,
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9
11 REPLIES 11

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Until I got my new truck last year, I hitched up my Hensley using a mirror that fastened on the tailgate of my truck. Worked great. Only had to get out one time to check the height of the stinger.

Now I have a backup camera that works just as well but still have to get out to check the height of the stinger.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
got lucky and found a used PP hitch couple hrs away for cheap.. I have only towed a couple time with equalizer hitch that came on AS we got in Florida last year. the equalizer is a good hitch and did not notice any sway. Switched over to PP and did notice a bit more stable on road with wind and truck going by at speed.

If you dont have a camera to see hitch GET one.. makes it so easy to hitch with one especially with HH or PP hitch.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

Lspangler
Explorer
Explorer
When your truck leans left and the trailer leans right it pivots on the ball still. It's only when turning left or right that the ball is not used

Once you get used to it, it is just as easy to hook up as a standard hitch

Linc

jerem0621
Explorer
Explorer
For me, I've researched them pretty extensively. The 3P hitch seems to have a bit more meat where the WD bars go into the hitch head. If the Hensley Arrow has a fault it's that weak area.

It's still a fantastic, best of the best hitch. But here is some informative reading.

Anyone Broken A Hensley?

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
I'm convinced.... I will be purchasing one!
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had our Hensley since 2001, I won't tow without it. (The ProPride is the "new and improved" version of the Hensley, it has some better features but the design principle is the same.) I take the TT out in soft sand on the beach, terrain doesn't get more uneven that that. You will see on the highway when you get into construction zones with uneven pavement on the Interstate, that the 3P will give you superior control over the trailer, even as the truck and trailer lean in different directions.

Hitching looks complicated, but after you do it a few times it's easy. There is only one downside to either the HA or the 3P, and that is the cost.

hellfirehydra
Explorer
Explorer
Same experience here as the other posters with my Hensley.

Easily worth the money IMO. Makes towing a travel trailer a breeze!

I don't think I'd want to try to hitch up with one without a backup camera, but others may be more skilled than me. With a camera hooking up isn't really any harder than any other hitch in my opinion.

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been using mine for about 5 years and have not had any issues. I have been in a few uneven situations and all worked well. You wont regret the purchase, it does a great job.

MikeInOregon
Explorer
Explorer
At our previous house, the driveway gained 5 feet in elevation over 50 feet in length. So when backing and making a sharp turn into the driveway the truck would be level on the street and trailer would be rising with the driveway. We didn't experience any problems with the ProPride hitch.

I hated that driveway. One of the reasons we moved was for better parking for the trailer. Now the driveway is level and makes a U shape around the house. It's completely pull-through to enter and leave. I love it!

We wanted the best hitch to connect our expensive trailer with the even more expensive truck, so we went with the ProPride. It provides a very stable towing experience in all driving conditions. If starting over, I would buy it again.
2015 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost
2015 Creekside 20FQ
ProPride Hitch

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
I was a happy 3P owner before moving up to a fifth wheel. No issues with uneven terrain at all, the only thing you may want to be aware of is reduced ground clearance because it hangs down a little lower than a standard hitch. I dragged ours on occasion but no damage was ever done to it. I highly recommend the hitch.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy,

I used a 3P for four years.

My driveway rises six feet over a 75 foot run and my lawn runs down about 18" on either side of the drive.

I had no trouble backing the trailer up the drive and on to the lawn for loading/unloading. I could leave the truck hitched or unhook the trailer. No issues with any of that.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer