cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Condensation in slide corner

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
I'm basically writing this to confirm I'm not crazy (or at least hopefully so). I've been having condensation in the slide corner- I'm seeing water in the slide corner (mainly in the bed room but also another slide)

I know what you're thinking: there must be leak I don't know about. I thought the same thing soI got up on a ladder, checked the eternabond up there, and saw no damage. I spent a good amount of time with a hose pouring water over the bedroom slide. There was no water intrusion at all.

Oddly, the following night, i found water in the corner again. I thought to myself: there has to be a slow leak. But, when the sun came up the area dried. I thought it was odd; if it was coming from the wall, it wouldn't just dry.

This morning, I woke up and the corner was a little wet. It hasn't rained in days, and the area was totally dry when we went to bed.

Am I crazy here? There's no condensation on the windows, but just in the corners. I can't see how this is a leak, but I would have expected more condensation elsewhere...

Am I missing something here?
2009 Fleetwood Excursion 40x DP
Photographer: www.certainpointofview.com
10 REPLIES 10

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
This is weird...so...following.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Bruce_Brown
You could put a small fan in there to keep the air moving - that should keep any condensation from forming.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
GPWayne wrote:
Had the same problem with bedroom slide. Used water hose, no leak. Moved MH to covered storage, still had water in the closet(overnight). Used my inspection camera through the light fixture hole and found condensation on the closet roof.
Got a small dehumidifier at Wally World, problem solved. Have added insulation put still use the dehumidifier. That keeps the MH fresh and not like an owl's nest.
Moved back outside, still no problem.

It's been several days with no rain, and air continues to condense in that corner. So it's definitely not a leak. I'll grab a dehumidifier and call it "not an issue" Thanks all!

GPWayne
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem with bedroom slide. Used water hose, no leak. Moved MH to covered storage, still had water in the closet(overnight). Used my inspection camera through the light fixture hole and found condensation on the closet roof.
Got a small dehumidifier at Wally World, problem solved. Have added insulation put still use the dehumidifier. That keeps the MH fresh and not like an owl's nest.
Moved back outside, still no problem.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had inside condensation on my front cap that would drip around my cabinets and dash. It turned out NOT being a leak from the outside but an area where the fiberglass batt insulation had shifted and left areas with no insulation at all. When we were in areas with a high humidity, like Florida and other coastal areas of the country, the difference in temperature from the outside to the inside would cause enough condensation to accumulate on the inside to look like a leak, dripping water and all.
I solved the problem by spraying foam insulation on the inside of my front cap.
I think it is a possibility that you may have areas that lack sufficient insulation and condensation develops on the inside surfaces of your coach.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you tried a dehumidifier? It just doesn't sound like a leak to me. Also, without a dehumidifier have you tried leaving a vent open?
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I wonder if there's a slight air leak that lets in the cold air or there's insufficient insulation in that area and your breath is condensating there. Could even be that there's just metal in that corner and it's like a cold bottle of beer on a hot day.
We always have certain parts of the windows and walls that get damp overnight from this.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
If the corners cool down at night, moisture will condense there much like your lawn early in the morning. When it cools enough, the corner may be reaching its dew point becoming wet just like your grass even though it hasn't rained during the night.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

elhajj33
Explorer
Explorer
Thing is why does it only occur at night even when there is no rain.? That's why I keep thinking to exclude a leak...

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would still be inclined to look for a leak. I would be thinking about the water taking a long time to wick itself over to the corner from someplace.

In our MH in very wet locations, we've had condensation everywhere, but never in a corner.

Maybe it is condensation and they didn't install any insulation in the corners?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.