cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A vs. Class C Handling

Bzeitham
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at taking a position that would place my wife and me in a location for 6-8 weeks at a time and we don't want to do the motel/restaurant thing (we like sleeping in our own mess). My wife and I would be traveling and working together. We feel that a motor home with a toad would be the ideal combination for this job. The question we have is would a Class A or a Class C be easier to handle? My gut feeling is that a Class C would be easier to handle BUT I may be wrong.

Thanks in advance...
14 REPLIES 14

CWDoc115
Explorer
Explorer
Find a floor plan that you & your spouse can work with, & start shopping for that coach.

Pam_s_Dennis
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:
scrubjaysnest wrote:
Had a Class C, never again. The Class A we have is the same size, has more room, better handling, better view, and higher GCVWR then the C.

Isn't the Axis 24.1 on an E350 chassis, with a 12,500# GVWR and an 18,500# GCWR, the same as a lot of class Cs ?

It was but is now built on the E450 chassis. Much better. I have a 2017 Axis 25.2. It is built on the 2016 E450 chassis with 6 speed transmission. You can check the chassis by looking at the VIN. If E350 the VIN will include 3K, if E450 it will include 4K.

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have personal experience, but know 1st hand a construction site superintendent in the same boat. After years of owing a fixed home (condo, single person), and working all over the US staying in motels or short term apartments. Sold the Condo, bought a 40' diesel pusher, and a Jeep toad. in his first year he spent winter months in the greater Chicago area. He is still very happy with the choice. His per-deim covers the payments on the MH, jeep, food and park rent.
He loves sleeping in his own bed every night, and loves to cook, so nop eating out.
I also know a fellow park host that got his company to purchase his 38' diesel pusher the same way through per-deim travel payments.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Shadow57
Explorer
Explorer
I will be the odd ball here, I have never had a Class A and have no desire to. I actually wish we could afford a Super C with more front nose. I just don't like the idea if something comes at me head on the first thing to hit is me. Everyone has their reasons but I just don't believe I would like it. I do agree the view would be nicer but I would just get more wrinkles squinting.
2017 Forest River Forester 3051S

2014 Ram DRW 3500 Laramie Crew Cab

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
After 15 years I say good by to my 30 foot C Class Coach, and hello to my A class 34 triple slide why did I take so long beets me but never happier LOL
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
In what temperatures? Enclosed tanks might be important.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago we drove a Class C and we both felt claustrophobic with the overhang over the front window. We absolutely loved our motorhome for the handling and the view.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
scrubjaysnest wrote:
Had a Class C, never again. The Class A we have is the same size, has more room, better handling, better view, and higher GCVWR then the C.

Isn't the Axis 24.1 on an E350 chassis, with a 12,500# GVWR and an 18,500# GCWR, the same as a lot of class Cs ?
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

elcheapo
Explorer
Explorer
When I was buying insurance for my class C, was told lower rates because a class C has Air bags in the cab. Also when driving into the Sun, the class C overhang sure makes a nice sun visor and less heat from the direct Sun.
2016 Jayco Redhawk 29XK

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
scrubjaysnest wrote:

And in reading Scrubjaysnest post, it reminds me of how much nicer the the tall front windows are in a Class A. They're like the picuture windows in your house - in the Class C, you have to bend over all of the time to see out of the front windows.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure one is vastly better or easier overall for handling, though there are differences to be sure. For that matter, a diesel pusher with air suspension handles rather differently than a front-engine gas motorhome with leaf spring suspension, even when both are class A motorhomes.

The class C's on van chassis tend to be less maneuverable than similarly sized class A motorhomes because the van chassis has a rather anemic wheel cut angle. Some people find the van-style cab with at least a stubby hood a little less intimidating to drive than a typical class A, but I think that's more a matter of perception than anything. It does take a little getting used to steering when you're over or in front of the front wheels.

For what you're considering, I agree with the others that handling ought to be rather low on your list of priorities. Obviously you do want something that you can safely drive from place to place. (If these work sites aren't too far removed from each other, it might even end up making sense to drive the car separately rather than getting it set up for towing. That would certainly make maneuvering the motorhome in gas stations and similar places a little less stressful.)

Also note that overall length has relatively little bearing on handling on the highway; the width and height of the vehicle are more concerning than its length. Don't choose something that's too small for you just because you think it will be easier to drive.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
As said above, for 6 to 8 weeks neither would have to be driven at all. Get one you can live in for 6 to 8 weeks.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
In your case I really wouldn't worry about the handling too much since you're only going to drive it every so often - you're going to live in it way more than you're going to drive it, so pay more attention to the living in it considerations. The Class A is going to give you more of everything including work surface room for the two of you.

As a broad general statement, the Class A, especially a diesel (yes I own one) will handle better in the cross winds and truck winds because they're heavier. You'll also be able to tow a large more comfortable toad.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.