cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Busy in the south?

uncledon
Explorer
Explorer
So I've posted this on a couple other forums, but would like some other opinions/advice. The DW and I are headed south next November for the winter. Our kids and grand daughter want to come find us over a two week period during the Christmas holidays. They plan on driving down to where we are, so distance is a factor.

We all enjoy the out-of-doors more than the big attractions, so being "out in the pucks" doesn't bother us a bit. Being that we will have a full house, a CG with full hookup, or at least 30A/water is probably a must. Public is preferred, but not a must.

Anyone have suggestions and recommendations? I suppose early reservations is a given. Thx.
2002 Silverado 3500 DRW CC 6.6L Turbo diesel
2009 Heartland Bighorn 3055RL
2002 Bass Tracker Pro 175 XT w/ 90/65 Merc Jet
7 REPLIES 7

uncledon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the recommendations folks! I spent some long hours investigating many resorts and campgrounds. The wife and adult daughter both preferred NOT to go to a big glitzy resort, so I concentrated on state/county parks in the lower half of FL. Finally found what we believe is a good option in Myakka River SP. I made reservations so we are all set.

The wife and I will be leaving MI in mid November and slowly making our way that direction. Sure glad the rest of the season we won't be looking at having to make reservations that lock you into being someplace at a certain time!
2002 Silverado 3500 DRW CC 6.6L Turbo diesel
2009 Heartland Bighorn 3055RL
2002 Bass Tracker Pro 175 XT w/ 90/65 Merc Jet

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Since you're from Michigan and the kids will be taking their 2-week vacation with you, I'd highly suggest Gulf State Park, Gulf Shores, Alabama.

That was the first place that popped into my head, also! True Road Warriors can make that drive in one long day from lower Michigan if need be. The only drawback is that depending on the weather, it can be cold enough to need to winterize if one has unheated tanks (that was our experience when we stayed there in 2013). The sites are incredibly huge, the facilities are top-notch; and Gulf Shores has all the fun attractions, too.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
Consider south Louisiana around Vermilion bay (heart of cajun country south of Lafayette), lots of outdoor stuff, lakes rivers, fishing, boating, some nice gardens here too (Rip Van Winkle Gardens, Avery Island, for scenery there is the creole nature trail,....) Oh and we have better food. Now it can drop below freezing from time to time in December and January, but there are also typically lots of days with the highs in the 70's maybe even hitting 80 or more once in a while.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
South Padre Island Texas. Isla Blanca
County Park on the beach.
pawatt

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Since you're from Michigan and the kids will be taking their 2-week vacation with you, I'd highly suggest Gulf State Park, Gulf Shores, Alabama. Snowbirders can stay there the whole winter/early spring season - no 14-day rule. They have monthly rates. The sites are big with full hookups, a clubhouse with activities and potlucks, and the whole park is filled with snowbirders, including many from Michigan.

The beach is beautiful but in December the kids won't be swimming - but kids are tough. It's a great area for biking - nice and flat. You are within a short bike distance to town where there are many nice restaurants and shops. You can also purchase fresh shrimp from the boats. During the holiday season you can take your car on the short ferry ride over to just north of Dauphin Island and tour the beautiful Christmas displays at Bellingrath Gardens. The whole area is a great place to be during the holidays. You can also do a easy daytrip to Pensacola, FL and perhaps there will be an air show going on.

This is a very popular park so make reservations now.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Be good to give a geographic area you are considering. And where the others are coming from. Certainly lots to consider, but responses will come if you express your preferences.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Out in the pucks" with 30 amps of plug in power. Pioneers!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad