cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

best coating for fiberglass roof

HuckleCat
Explorer
Explorer
Our old (1975) motorhome has molded end caps that are fiberglass. The center section is aluminum.

After giving the roof a good scrubbing this week, we discover that the fiberglass has very little paint finish on it. Thankfully no leaks were found in the process.

What is a good coating for the fiberglass sections to protect it? We may do the entire roof for added insurance and to make it all blend in. Functionality over looks is ok.

Our 1975 REVCON album - work in progress
Me and the sweetie found a super 1975 Revcon 250-T
Road worthy as it is, just working out some bugs.
7 REPLIES 7

HuckleCat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! The Tropicool sounds like the solution.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyemunson wrote:
I used Henry Tropicool from Home Depot on our last MH when the fiberglass roof started looking old at 10 years. Only did it once (traded a couple years later) and it seemed a really good solution. After 2 years it still looked like I had just painted it. I would certainly use it again. Obviously fiberglass isn't going to last forever and ours was starting to be bad at causing white streaking down the sides of the MH. The Tropicool stopped that and made the roof look good, too. Has a 'lifetime' warranty but I bet that would not apply to MH use.

X2, but if you keep painting it would probably last a VERY long LONG time.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
I used Henry Tropicool from Home Depot on our last MH when the fiberglass roof started looking old at 10 years. Only did it once (traded a couple years later) and it seemed a really good solution. After 2 years it still looked like I had just painted it. I would certainly use it again. Obviously fiberglass isn't going to last forever and ours was starting to be bad at causing white streaking down the sides of the MH. The Tropicool stopped that and made the roof look good, too. Has a 'lifetime' warranty but I bet that would not apply to MH use.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
This link might help...

Fiberglass treatment...
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

HuckleCat
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
Fiberglass normally would have a gel coat, not paint. But paint would provide protection, while it adheres anyway.

rexlion wrote:
Fiberglass normally would have a gel coat, not paint. But paint would provide protection, while it adheres anyway.

Would Gel Coating be used back in the 70's? Not sure if that was used on the aluminum parts of the roof and the sides which are aluminum.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point