cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Greek salad

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Took this picture of a Greek salad when we visited Athens, Greece. NO lettuce, slab of feta on top. It was FABULOUS. Next time you order one at a stateside eatery, don't expect the real thing.
10 REPLIES 10

anniesweetiepie
Explorer
Explorer
That's totally the best salad I've tried! Feta cheese has a characteristic flavour, so does the tomato that is cultivated in Greece. Really genuine taste and full intense flavour. Sometimes I like to put extra peppers & olives on it plus... oregano! Delicious! You may read more tips on the Greek cuisine at www.HostelBay.com

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Feta cheese and ripe olives are the biggest difference I see in the Greek salads I get in my part of N Am. I've not been to Greece. Type of onion is not often grown in home gardens here. And feta cheese is a cube the size of that ripe olive.

But I spent a good 2 months in Israel back in the 70s. When I was on the kibbutz each day we were given 1 tomato, 1/4 green pepper, 1/4 med. onion, and 1 4" (i.e. little type) cucumber and a bit of oil. This we diced ourselves.

When I worked in the Kibbutz guest house, they diced the salad and added grated carrot just before meal time. A large bowl of this per table. It's been my fav salad ever since.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
I went to Greece and a young teenager and as a college student a few times and I did love the salads.

A recipe I do:
  • Cucumber - Peeled and sliced
  • Tomato - Diced
  • Onion - Thinly sliced - Either yellow or red
  • Olive oil - best you can afford
  • Vinegar - type of your choice
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Oregano

Olive oil to vinegar I do a 2 parts oil to 1 part vinegar. I presoak everything in the vinegar first, but I like vinegar. Occasionally I will add some feta cheese and Kalamata olives, if on hand.

Eat it with french baguette to soak up the juices, yum.

Enjoy!

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Found it here:
http://www.olivetomato.com/greek-salad-how-to-make-it-how-to-eat-it-why-its-good-for-you/
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Any idea of the spices sprinkled on top? Only olive oil I assume, no vinegar? I'd like to recreate it.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Rygar wrote:
How do you order a Greek salad in Athens Greece?

It was on the menu almost everywhere we ate. This one was typical. And it had both cucumber and green peppers. And onions and tomatoes. And the best olive oil I've ever tasted.

Rygar
Explorer
Explorer
How do you order a Greek salad in Athens Greece?
2011 Montana 3455SA
2013 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab King Ranch SRW
Gary & Jane Retired Toy Store owners
2 Sheltie Furkids Cammie & Stormy

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
That looks so good!
We used to be able to get a great Greek salad (and more) at traditional Greek restaurant in Seattle - The Byzantion.
But it went down the toilet.
Sure miss that great food.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got the same Greek Salad at the local Georgio's Restaurant couple weeks a go.

They have a awesome Gyro Sandwich also

I appreciate when a restaurant offers 'original' 'classic' foods w/o trying to jazz it up
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Took this picture of a Greek salad when we visited Athens, Greece. NO lettuce, slab of feta on top. It was FABULOUS. Next time you order one at a stateside eatery, don't expect the real thing.

Luverly and the cukes (or was it green peppers or both?)give it great crunch I'd imagine.
Somehow I keep missing Greece; you make me long for the place:cool.