cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Champion 2800/3100 Invertor Generator

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
Just ordered it yesterday on eBay for $610. New with free shipping. It is $699 at CostCo right now. I've been looking for a while. We don't camp where there isn't power, but lots of times it takes a couple of days to get there. Our last trip from Cuckoofornia to Utah was during a nasty heat wave. We were going through Nevada and Arizona in the middle of the night. Over 100 degrees still. It was too hot to stop and sleep in the trailer. We had my daughter and grandson with us. We ended up stopping at a pull off for about 2 hours in the truck with the A/C on. Really miserable. That's when I told the wife we were getting a generator. Not so surprisingly she agreed. We used to have a Honda 3000 a long time ago. We didn't use it enough to warrant the hassles of trying to keep it safe while camping. So we sold it. This one will be louder, less likely to be a prime target for a thief(they look for red or blue), and it has more power. It will be quieter than dual Honda 2000s, though. I'll update when I've had it for a while. I'm retiring next month, so we will be doing a lot of traveling to see the kids scattered throughout the west. It will come in handy.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!
35 REPLIES 35

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
ronharmless wrote:
The Champion is $1,300.00 cheaper then the comparable Honda and they both are rated at 58 dba. So I guess "saving a couple hundred bucks" Is Pretty Significant Economics. No judgment, if you want to pay $1300 bucks more for a particular name go for it. Or if you're worried about longevity you can buy 3 for the same price and keep two for spares and sell them when you don't need them.
First off, I'm a big fan of the Champion 3100/2800 75531i. I've owned two of them over the last 3 years. They offer a huge bang for the buck. They're reliable, not to mention Champion offers some of the best warranty support in the business.

Operationally, the Champion 75531i has more reserve inrush current capability than a Honda EU3000iS and/or a paralleled pair of Honda EU2000i's which means the Champion can start and run 13.5k and 15k BTU RV a/c units that the Hondas cannot.

However, the Champion 75531i does have its limitations.

If you've had the opportunity to listen to a Honda EU3000iS and Champion 3100/2800 75531i run side-by-side, both under a maximum load of 2800 watts, the Champion is unquestionably louder by a good bit.

The Honda EU3000iS is rated 49 db under a 25 percent load of 700 watts, and 58 db under FULL load (2800 watts).

The Champion 3100/2800 75531i is rated 58 db under a 25 percent load of 700 watts.

Note the Honda EU3000iS is rated 9 db quieter than the Champion 75531i when both are run under the same 25 percent load. Champion doesn't rate the 75531i at full load for a very good reason---the spec would not be flattering. When you apply a full load to the Champion I believe it's reasonable to assume it gets approx. 7-9 db louder---just like the Honda EU3000iS---or approx. 65-67 db---roughly equivalent in loudness to a "quiet", open-frame generator.

Again, if you've had the opportunity to run these two generators side-by-side under full load (2800 watts), once you apply full load to the Champion 3100/2800 75531i you can no longer hear the Honda EU3000iS. No comparison.

dfb
Explorer
Explorer
RSD559 wrote:
Yes, but they know that a red or blue will fetch 2 or 3 times the price. So they are willing to work a little bit harder to get to them. My point was, that my brain tells me that I have to worry more because of it's cost, so it causes me more stress about it. I was coming up with all kinds of painful and expensive ways to protect my Honda. But I already know what I'm going to do with this one. Not stressful or expensive.

All the more reason to go yellow....would u rather be out 2400 or 600?

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Honda sucks!!!! Champion rules!!!!!!!
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
Noise isn't that bad either. I'd say the best bang for buck is the 2800, or the dual fuel model, which if you run out of gasoline, you can run it from your propane supply.

dfb
Explorer
Explorer
I did like the twins a lot... but at 2 Gs, forget it..So far, love the Champion 2800....,

magic43
Explorer
Explorer
I travel with and use the Champion 2800. The two Honda 2000's stay home in the garage. For me, simple that works is better.
magic43

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
Roadtech wrote:
I just ordered a Champion 3400 dual fuel. $1100 for 3400 watts, propane or gas, fuel shut off valve, RV type 30 amp receptacle, and electric start. Same db rating as the Honda. It fits under my truck bed cover unlike the Honda or Yamaha. And your money goes to a U.S. company instead of to Japan.

That's the model I want, but can't justify the extra $500. We won't use it that often.
My new air filter box came today. Ordered on Monday afternoon. Can't complain. So after work, I put it on and tested the beast out. Granted, my A/C is only 8000 BTU, but when I turned it on, the generator blipped up for a half a second and then went back down to a hair above idle. Fired up the microwave at the same time, another blip and the RPMs went up a little more. It's running the A/C until it drains the tank. I had used untreated gas the first time I used it. And it surged a bit after start-up in full power mode this time. But it evened out after about 20 seconds. This gas in the can has Sta-Bil in it to make sure I don't gunk things out. This is a hair louder than the Honda EU3000IS I had years ago. But not much louder. And, I'm pretty sure it's lighter. I am very pleased. Enough so that I will crash the Honda vs Yamaha parties every opportunity I get to extol it's virtues! Look out inverter generator snobs!
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

Roadtech
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered a Champion 3400 dual fuel. $1100 for 3400 watts, propane or gas, fuel shut off valve, RV type 30 amp receptacle, and electric start. Same db rating as the Honda. It fits under my truck bed cover unlike the Honda or Yamaha. And your money goes to a U.S. company instead of to Japan.

dfb
Explorer
Explorer
Crabbypatty wrote:
The champion is much louder and as long as your far away enough so as not to disturb your neighbor, then I guess saving a couple hundred bucks is a good thing. I had trouble with a guy next to me with one, and his attitude was as loud as the generator. I unfortunately for the first time in 20 years, had to call security. We all have our own economics, no judgement, and something is better than nothing, but when one spends $20-$40k on a TV then $10-$30k on a TT, why hold back when for just a few more bucks, everyone can enjoy it better. You and the neighbors. Not to mention reliability. My honda is now 12 years old and I dont think the Champion or Generac inverters will get that mileage. Just my 2cents.

Happy trails

MUCH LOUDER???? NO IT IS NOT MUCH LOUDER!.. PLUS, IT WEIGHS UNDER 90 LBS WHEREAS THE HONDA AND YAMA ARE AT 150! I CAN LIFT THE CHAMPION, I HAVE HAVE A HERNIA SURGERY, KNEE SUGERY AND OPEN SPINE SURGERY... BOUGHT IT AT COSTCO FOR 699.99! USED MY COSTCO CARD AND HAVE A 4 YEAR WARRANTY.....SO FAR, WE LOVE THE CHAMPION....

cubbear
Explorer
Explorer
remote start for less than $900.00 another plus

dfb
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased the Champion Inverter 3100 ... I have owned the Yamaha 3000is, Honda 3000i, the twins Yamaha 2000is and the Honda 2000 I in parallel. My favorite is the Yamha 2000is in parallel due to weight at 44 lbs, quietness, fuel gauge, charging cords etc and not a timing belt but gear to gear... The Champion first in the inverter is QUIET!!!!! may be slightly noise than the Yamaha 3000is which is quieter Than the Honda 3000 i... I bought this yesterday at Costco for 699.99 and used the Costco card for a 4 YEAR warranty.. This Champion is the Deal of the Century.. I used my SP meter and Yes at 23 feet in Economy mode it is 58 Dbs.. Off Economy mode it hits 60 dbs. Here is the real plus.. At under 90 lbs I CAN LIFT IT.. I have have a hernia surgery and open spine surgery! I have read the Reviews on this generator before purchase.. out of 273 reviews it has a 4.5 star rating.. The 30 Amp plug is RV style not a lock and twist that requires an adapter.. Im sold on this generator.. Its kind like the difference between my Lawn Boy Lawn Mower and a Honda Lawn Mower.. They Both us a blade that rotates in a Circle.. They both cut the Grass EXACTLY then same.. The Yamaha and Honda and Champing all put out 2800 WATTS of Clean power.. My TV, AC etc does not know the difference.. Why Pay 2000.00 plus on a generator when the 700 dollar one does exactly the same thing... RV plug, Fuel shut off, comes with car battery charger, has wheels and a handle.. This is a fantastic buy.... Oh, they can be pararrelled with another of 2800 to 3500 .....I have also called tech support.. guess what? People answer and are very helpfull...... Now, why would I spend 14 to 1800 more for a generator that has not as much value??? Besides, when bought at Costco you have 90 days to bring it back if not happy...

MrWizard
I put 4000 hrs on one, before replacing it with the new 3400w version
In the 2.5 years of use, I replace the start solenoid, and spark plug

Replaced on general principle to get the new version with a few extra watts for a/ C start at 110ยฐf
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
So I guess that brings up the question then. Has anyone worn out their Champion 3100 yet?
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
Crabbypatty wrote:
The champion is much louder and as long as your far away enough so as not to disturb your neighbor, then I guess saving a couple hundred bucks is a good thing. I had trouble with a guy next to me with one, and his attitude was as loud as the generator. I unfortunately for the first time in 20 years, had to call security. We all have our own economics, no judgement, and something is better than nothing, but when one spends $20-$40k on a TV then $10-$30k on a TT, why hold back when for just a few more bucks, everyone can enjoy it better. You and the neighbors. Not to mention reliability. My honda is now 12 years old and I dont think the Champion or Generac inverters will get that mileage. Just my 2cents.

Happy trails
The Champion is $1,300.00 cheaper then the comparable Honda and they both are rated at 58 dba. So I guess "saving a couple hundred bucks" Is Pretty Significant Economics. No judgment, if you want to pay $1300 bucks more for a particular name go for it. Or if you're worried about longevity you can buy 3 for the same price and keep two for spares and sell them when you don't need them.