cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Digital video recorder.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
We have cable TV at home, with a cable box/DVR. In the RV, we have two digital TV. we have good reception most places, and watch most stations in HD if it is being broadcast. What we need is a video recorder to use in the RV to record shows and be able to watch them at a later time. Looking at various stores and such, I have not been ablt to find one at all, much less at a reasonable price. Are they even available, and what kind of price and service should we expect??
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

16 REPLIES 16

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
In the RV, we have two digital TV. What we need is a video recorder to use in the RV to record shows and be able to watch them at a later time.

Back to OP's qs . . .

Get the iView 3500STBII.

It has an ATSC tuner for OTA TV and a QAM tuner for digital cable which you may find in some RV parks.

I don't think either the Mediasonic or TiVo have QAM tuners.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

MrWizard
No it does not work with encrypted cable
But that was not in your question

"Where"?
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
thanks but it said This product does NOT work with TIVO and cable company such as Comcast, DirecTV, DISH Network, Time Warner Cable, Shaw Cable, etc. In general, this product does NOT work with encryped cable signal. This Box is NOT a replacement of a cable company's box
so I guess it won't do me much good. just OTa I guess?
bumpy

MrWizard
Bumpy

Homework 150 PVR

This records to USB
Yes it also says digital converter
Don't get confused
Just means you could use a large Monitor display instead of a tv
Single tuner, watch while recording or watch later
One channel at a time
Or turn it off and use the tv tuner to watch tv
And yes you can record on the pvr and watch the tv using the tv tuner on a different channel

And yes it records in Hi Def , 1080 or 720
Whichever one the station is broadcasting
Approx 6 GB per hour of tv
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
I got a Tablo PVR for OTA TV. Mine has 4 tuners, but there is a cheaper one with 2 tuners. You have to add a USB hard drive, but then you are set. The unit connects to your home network and then broadcasts your programming via wi-fi to any device in your home. You can also set it to be available over the internet, so you can access your recorded shows when you are away from home. There is a small fee for the program guide ($49/year or $149 lifetime), but for me it is well worth it. The Tablo and a Raspberry Pi set up as a Plex Media Server, for my recorded movies and music, give me all the entertainment I could ever use.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Hank MI wrote:
Tried posting a link a couple times but just get the spinning circle. Search Iview 3500STBii on Amazon.

looked at that and it is just one of those old analog/digital convertor boxes. have a couple of them laying around that I got for free and never used.
bumpy
The 3500STBii is a high def tuner, recorder, and media player. It has HDMI and component video out which is high def. I have one of these boxes and the video out is exceptional. The broadcast TV video/audio is recorded directly to disk without any conversion. It plays out the same quality as the live broadcast.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I've got what I consider the "hot set up". I download stuff from YouTube using a Firefox add on and save it to a harddrive in the RV. The RV is out in the garage so I added a wireless router out there (as an access point) to my home network. The RV "hits" that routers wireless so it's on my home network all the time. When I'm in the house (on the home PC) and I see something I might want to watch in the RV when camping, I save it to the RV drive over the network. Once watched, I just delete it. Also I can save movies to that drive using "DVD Shrink" software. I've got an external 1TB harddrive in the RV with a mini sized PC. The PC is only about 6x6x2 so it fits anywhere. I have an external DVD drive hooked to it and I use a wireless keyboard with built in touch mouse. Both TV's and the PC run off the inverter so the work without being plugged in. The PC has two HDMI outlets so I can use the PC in the living room or the bedroom. I ran the HDMI cable in the A/C vent to the bedroom TV. Also ran a USB extension to the center of the RV roof in the A/C vent for the keyboard dongle. That way the keyboard works all over the RV. I could add a video capture card to my home PC and do the same thing by saving the videos to the RV through the network. Works well. The only "problem" is I can only get sound out of one TV at a time. You can watch both but only one has sound. I have software to switch the sound from one HDMI outlet to the other but the sound always goes to the TV you turn on first. If both are on and you turn one off, the sound goes to the TV that is still on. Both Tv's are still hooked up to the coax so I can use the campgrounds cable TV if I want to. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

PS: Both TV's were upgraded to 32" so they use very little power and the bedroom TV is powered using a VERY GOOD QUALITY extension cord ran through the A/C vents. All electronics are plugged into a surge and that surge is plugged into the inverter.

I have a webcam on the dash and use it as a dashcam to record driving in case of accident.

Keyboard is a Logitech K400r

Mini PC has a I3 processor so it's fast and a built in WIFI. (must have two HDMI's)

External DVD drive is in the cabinet with the PC

If you can't do the network thing, just bring the external drive home, plug it into your home PC and load it up with video's for the trip.

Low cost cables are at MONOPRICE.COM

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are many, however most modern one have an issue or 3.. First you are sitting in front of one just now.. You get the WIN-TV adapter (Replay edition is best) for your computer and it becomes a DVR.. one of the best in fact. assuming it has the oomph for the job and is a compatible Operating System.

But failing that.. There are many I just did a quick Yahoo search and found a whole bunch including TiVo and many other makes and models.. I'd check with Best Buy first, or buy on-ine.

NOTE: What I'm not sure of with any product, is the ability to record HD in HD... My DVR's are older (2002) and do not do HD, they do, however, record OTA Digital in SD via an adapter box. and cable as well. They also automatically select the source (Cable or OTA) and control the adapter boxes, and "Chat" so I can watch any recorded show on either DVR, or download and take with me on a portable device.

Just like the "Only our Expensive over priced, ripp off Subscription service lets you do all this" adds.. I do it, 25 bucks a year (For the Electronic program directory so I don't even have to program in all the shows.)

But, alas, they don't make 'em any more. TiVo is the closest you can get.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Hank MI wrote:
Tried posting a link a couple times but just get the spinning circle. Search Iview 3500STBii on Amazon.

looked at that and it is just one of those old analog/digital convertor boxes. have a couple of them laying around that I got for free and never used.
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Hank MI wrote:
Seems half the time when trying to reply on this forum it just sits and spins.

so that's normal?
what about the voices in my head?
bumpy

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
Seems half the time when trying to reply on this forum it just sits and spins.

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
If you do a search on Amazon for 'PVR' you will get several under $40 results. I purchased an iView and HomeWorx brand a while back and they functioned the same. It takes a while to figure them out.

They come with no hard drive so you will have to add one to use the PVR function. They have only one tuner so you can only record one show at a time. The ones I have will display a very rudimentary program guide and it takes a long time to populate it. Once you change channels it has to populate the guide again.

I would suggest going with one that has the best user reviews. Hopefully they have improved the user interface and fixed some of the quirks.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
would you believe about $30

that will get you a PVR "personal video recorder"
it has an HDtv digital tuner, records to USB stick, or external powered usb hhd
you furnish the the usb stick/or drive, no built in recording media

records in HD the signal that is being transmitted, and output on hdmi or a/v to the TV

a link please
thanks
bumpy