cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can a Norcold 3 way fridge be made to run with no battery?

Claytoes
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, my husband and I just bought a vintage camper that has no power system at all. Is there any way to use a norcold n410 3 way refridgerator without having any type of battery/power system? Thanks!!
11 REPLIES 11

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
N41x manual

Curious, it does not answer the question.
I expect power needs would be very modest with the pilot light so a single deep cycle battery would last a week.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
If you can use smaller, the Norcold N305 needs no power, or if you can find an old N400, that needs no power as well.
-- Chris Bryant

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
Instead of trying to operate the fridge without a battery, I'd suggest you install one. If the trailer has electric brakes, you'll need a battery to operate the emergency break-away system.

THIS^^^^^^

Norcold N400 Manual
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
Matt_Colie wrote:
All you really need is the 12vdc power for the control board.

So, get a juice friendly acquaintance to:
A - Locate a 12VDC wall wort.
B - Attach it to the DC supply terminals of the unit.

There is usually a duplex receptacle behind the unit that the wall wort (plug in power supply) can use.

Matt

Wall warts usually produce really crappy unfiltered DC. That fridge also requires 400 mA of current at 12VDC. Make sure the wall wart will supply at least that. The one I have to charge my ham radio handheld puts out 13.2 V at only 70 mA

Wall warts have changed quite a bit in the past several years due to new efficiency requirements; most new ones are now little switching power supplies, and produce quite well regulated and comparatively clean power. At most a small filter capacitor and maybe an RF choke would be needed. Of course, that only works if you camp where electricity is available in the first place.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:

There is usually a duplex receptacle behind the unit that the wall wort (plug in power supply) can use.

Matt

Wall warts usually produce really crappy unfiltered DC. That fridge also requires 400 mA of current at 12VDC. Make sure the wall wart will supply at least that. The one I have to charge my ham radio handheld puts out 13.2 V at only 70 mA

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of trying to operate the fridge without a battery, I'd suggest you install one. If the trailer has electric brakes, you'll need a battery to operate the emergency break-away system.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Love the WAGs. :R The OP has already identified this fridge as a Norcold N410.3 3-way fridge that does require 12 vdc to operate.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
I think pasusan may be right. I had a 1970's something Apache popup and I think the 3-way frig would run on propane without a battery. I would give it a try and see if it works. Just remember, once you light the pilot light and set the temperature you will have to leave it for about 12 hours before you can tell if it is working or not. These things aren't instantaneous cold. And leave the door shut, the more times you open it the longer it will take.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
That depends. Does it have a pilot light? Our '74 Scotty trailer had a 3 way fridge that would run on propane or electric without a battery. No control board - just turn the knobs to the correct setting.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
No. the 3-way fridge needs the 12V`s for the operating system. you could wire in a small 12V battery that would power it, but you will need a way to charge it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!