cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Airflow into bedroom.

scscorpion
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Summerland 2600tb.the Ac actually blows out into the main cabin at the ac no vents. Air doesn't flow into the bedroom due to the wall right at the ac. I would like a way to increase the air flow into the bedroom. Last year I put a box fan on the table blowing air into the room. But this is nosey and in the way. Was thinking of cutting a vent into the wall to see if this would help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
23 REPLIES 23

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Newmomat39 wrote:
We just installed a 4ft shield used on a fluorescent light fixture cut down to size. We drilled holes in it and attached it to the ceiling with L brackets. He used a Dremel with a blade for cutting plastic. It does obstruct the corner cabinet door a small amount. But now we have a cold bedroom! You can even close the bedroom curtain and unhook one of the hooks holding the curtain up and still get air blasting in. The end of it does cover the smoke alarm so we will have to come up with a (small door) way to get to the alarm should it go off. But since the same interior air is circulating it shouldn't effect it's performance. But you should check yours if you do this.

Great idea. And, in the Original Posters set up he has room above his cabinets so he could cut a hole in his bedroom divider wall and then use your idea to move air straight into the bedroom.

Bet that would work slick.

Could even add some sort of LED light in it to make it into a usable light too. (if needed)

I would make it easy to remove. It will probably get dust blown into it by the AC and need to be cleaned once and awhile.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
We actually have exactly the same issue with our 2015 Creek Side 20fq. We have windows on each side, but no vent on the roof and no window at the front of the trailer. Makes for a pretty stale environment sometimes. We have Solar on the roof right where a roof vent could have gone. I think trying to cut a window into a welded aluminum frame, laminated wall type construction would be looking for all kinds of problems................So as it stands right now we are still toying with little 12v fans mounted in places that may help...........But truth be told, we are still struggling with this. We do most of our camping away from hook ups.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Newmomat39
Explorer
Explorer
prichardson wrote:
Great idea and nice work; however, I would remount the smoke alarm since its ability to detect smoke is compromised especially when the A/C is not running.

Good call. It's not hard wired so it was easy to relocate it.

Newmomat39
Explorer
Explorer
prichardson wrote:
Great idea and nice work; however, I would remount the smoke alarm since its ability to detect smoke is compromised especially when the A/C is not running.

Very good point.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
You can always hunt around for some rectangular vent & duct material and glue a vent to the ceiling. The stuff is everywhere.

Kittykath
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this same issue in a friend's camper years ago. Same floorplan too. They replaced the center panels of the cabinet doors directly in front of the air conditioner unit with decorative screens, and then installed vents on the opposite side in the bedroom. It wasn't the magic answer, but it did help.

Time4Dirt
Explorer
Explorer
Newmomat39 wrote:
We just installed a 4ft shield used on a fluorescent light fixture cut down to size. We drilled holes in it and attached it to the ceiling with L brackets. He used a Dremel with a blade for cutting plastic. It does obstruct the corner cabinet door a small amount. But now we have a cold bedroom! You can even close the bedroom curtain and unhook one of the hooks holding the curtain up and still get air blasting in. The end of it does cover the smoke alarm so we will have to come up with a (small door) way to get to the alarm should it go off. But since the same interior air is circulating it shouldn't effect it's performance. But you should check yours if you do this.

What a cleaver idea. Wish we would have thought about that on our first TT.
2007 Honda Ridgeline
2022 Sun-Lite 18RD by Sunset Park RV - Reese DualCam

Newmomat39
Explorer
Explorer
***Edit*** We have the same 2600tb as the OP. We did relocate the smoke alarm which was not hard wired. And attached a small strap from the inside cabinet to the cabinet door so when opened it doesn't hit the shield.

We just installed a 4ft shield used on a fluorescent light fixture cut down to size. We drilled holes in it and attached it to the ceiling with L brackets. He used a Dremel with a blade for cutting plastic. It does obstruct the corner cabinet door a small amount. But now we have a cold bedroom! You can even close the bedroom curtain and unhook one of the hooks holding the curtain up and still get air blasting in.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
You could install a small set of louvers thru the wall or door , this would allow air circulation and retain you privacy. Lowes /home depot etc. should have small louvers for a reasonable price and most are already apinted.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a small oscillating fan that can be mounted on the wall. Mount it directly above a wall plug. I'd use the TV mount location if you don't plan on having a TV, or use a stud finder to find a stud.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
I have added extra 12 volt cigarette-style outlets at several locations in our trailer. Our A/C is ducted through the ceiling into all the rooms, but we rarely use it. Instead, I have O2 Cool fans running on DC by the windows in the bedroom, by the kitchen sink, and mounted to the wall blowing down on the dinette.

As others have said, just strategically locate a fan or two and you can blow cold air into the bedroom. We do this at our sticks and bricks house where we have window air conditioners and use fans to move cold air into other rooms in the house.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
scscorpion wrote:
I was trying to think of a way to put a fan into the wall to move air into the room. Thought of the computer fans that run off dc but couldn't find a way to mount them in a vent. Didn't think about the window fan. Might be the way I go. I looked at the corner fans from amazon couldn't find a way that I liked to run power to them. Or think they would put out enough air. I'm very hot natured and that is the reason I'm looking to do this. I was wondering if there might be some duct work in the celling that could be used.

Small fans typically run quite fast and as a result are noisy ... that window fan I use can hardly been heard running at all, especially on LOW, and you'd be amazed at how much air it moves. You won't find any duct work in your trailer's ceiling area.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
I bet there is an electrical outlet on that outside wall near the sofa. You could use a small fan like this O2Cool, with a short extension cord, or run it off batteries. Cut a hole right under the cabinets above the sofa. Frame out the hole and put some trim around it so it looks decent, and just set the fan in it. You would want to be able to take the fan out to change the batteries, if you don't plug it in.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board