cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to register and get insurance on my truck camper?

Alicia92860
Explorer
Explorer
6 months ago I bought a 2000 Fleetwood Angler camper cash off someone off Craigslist. They gave me no paperwork. I did see label showing VIN#. Last week while driving off-road it was really windy and camper with truck was swaying that's when I realized I probably should be insuring the camper. Anyhow I'm new to all this so just wondering what others think. Thank you
17 REPLIES 17

youngm357
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is a 1996 and to an insurance company worth $1000 on a good day so I don't insure it. I also have an Angler it's an 8a which means no brake or turn lights so I consider it cargo. Maybe it should be registered but it lives in the back corner of the barn. When I bought it used I just got a written bill of sale.

pbrooks101
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago my neighbor's tree fell on my camper in my yard while off my truck. Camper was totaled. I had a separate policy on my camper to cover collision and comprehensive. This policy covered the totaled camper with an agreed payout by insurance company. I asked my insurance company about my homeowners policy covering any of the damage and (in the fine print) they told me that my homeowners would have only covered up to $3000 damage, to include any other damage/clean-up that needed to be done.

Also, as mentioned above by the poster that contacted GEICO, my insurance company told me that my truck insurance only covers liability as the camper is "cargo" under that policy but if I were to have a wreck and damage my camper while on the truck, the separate camper policy would cover any claim. My premium at the time was only $68.00/year for the comprehensive and collision so well worth the added security. I now pay about $200/year for the same coverage but I also have a newer camper...

Registration, on the other hand, is a topic that varies state by state so no one answer will cover that question... check with your state's motor vehicle department/registry.
2011 Ford F350 Superduty DRW SD
2011 Lance 1191 (picture below shows 2004 1161-will update soon!)
2010 HD Street Glide
2005 Pace-American MC trailer
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
I would NOT assume that my vehicle insurance covers my TC as "cargo".

I can only imagine what my auto insurance company's response would be if I totaled the truck and camper and I told them that I had $30,000 of "cargo" in the bed.
We have our TC insured along with our truck.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
gitpicker2009 wrote:
Guys, I just got off the phone with Geico. I have my truck, car, Rv, motorcycle all insured with them. They said that the truck insurance (4500 Sterling dually) only covers LIABILITY.

That's why I have separate polices for my truck, camper, ATV trailer and my ATV.
Camp Host, from the other side.

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
Guys, I just got off the phone with Geico. I have my truck, car, Rv, motorcycle all insured with them. They said that the truck insurance (4500 Sterling dually) only covers LIABILITY. So if I have a wreck and the camper is damaged or destroyed, there would be no repair or replacement coverage. I personally DO insure the RV separately, as it's worth about 30 grand, but I can see how you might not worry if were an older less valuable unit. This may not be the same as your insurance company, but I thought I'd pass on what applies if you have Geico.

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dang, truck campers are goofy! Long and short of it is, talk to your insurance agent. Ask them all the scenarios:
- On the truck, on the road.
- Off the truck, on my property.
- Off the truck, at a camp ground.
- Liability (it falls over on someone), vs. comprehensive (it is stolen).

Then make sure to review the coverage every time you renew. Some situations would be under your home owner's policy, and some would be under your vehicle policy. Either way, build the rapport with your insurance agent so they are on-board with the coverage you require. Some agents don't understand it is cargo carried in the bed of the truck, and keep referring to it as a 'trailer' - educate them.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

rottidawg
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you have a STATED VALUE on your insurance policy. What the insurance company thinks it is worth is usually FAR LESS than real world cost.

My camper:
Stated value $19,000
$500 deductible comp & collision
$139 per year
2012 Chevy 2500HD LTZ CCSB 4x4 gas
2012 Four Wheel Camper Hawk
2008 Harley Street Glide

travelnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Registration and/or Titling is a legal proof of legal ownership with and for the state you reside in and recognized by the courts and insurance providers. A TC is very seldom always on a truck and/or attached to.

Therefore, when off the truck, it is NOT cargo, and if stolen or lost the a disaster, if not registered or insured, you will, can, or may have a proof of ownership that des not stand up in court. A legally written "Bill of Sale" can help to prove ownership but anyone can simply write a bogus later dated "Bill of Sale" for the TC and challenge actual present ownership of the TC in a court of law. Written documents over rule verbal always! Has happened so many times and not only with TC's. It's my word against yours and I have furnished a written "Bill of Sale" and I claim you'd stolen it back... Think about it!

Our Insurance agent made us aware of this and showed us several claim cases where a "Bill of Sale" used (real or not) had awarded legal ownership of the item or TC to the party with the latest dated "Bill of Sale" in some lax states. It was an eye opener and addressed as to why Michigan and many other states requires titling or registering of ownership! I wholeheartedly agree! Some TC's are now over a $50,000 purchase and that's a lot to give away.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
My auto and homeowners insurance company are one and the same. When I called, they told me the camper is covered with the truck when on the truck and away from home, and covered under homeowers when at the house or off the truck. No extra unless a total loss was to show I was under insured.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since the camper has no wheels, and is no more than cargo. You shouldn't need any type of insurance on it while traveling. the truck insurance will cover any thing the truck hits, with or with out the camper on board.

However. IF you are concerned about the replacement of the camper. You would need to get insurance. But you will need to figure out if the cost of insurance is worth the price of the camper. At some point. It does not pay to have collision, or Comp on a item.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

JRJR
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that would be high even if it were new.

Alicia92860
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone!
When I spoke with my insurance agent she told me it would cost $190 for 6 months
I need to get the details because that seems high maybe if it was brand new but it's not so now I know what to ask thank you

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
It depends on your insurance coverage. You should check with your agent on when and how it is currently covered.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:

I never unload on the road and can cover the $5k my camper is worth in the unlikely hood something happens to it so I don't carry any insurance.

NADA values my 20 year old camper at $4000.

My annual premium is less than $36/yr.

That's pretty cheap insurance and for me and it beats coughing up the cash for another one.
Camp Host, from the other side.