cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yellowstone should I split it up

We currently have reservations for four nights at Maddison campground inside the park. After reading several post, some suggested that they would split it up between parks if they had their choice.
I looked and Fishing Bridge is open for the nights I'm interested in. Should I stay where I'm at or would you suggest I stay two nights at Madison and two nights at Fishing Bridge. I was looking and we could probably squeeze in an extra night at Fishing Bridge for a total of three night there if needed.
18 REPLIES 18

SBradley
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the size of you RV Canyon Village is a great place to stay, smalller RV's say 25 ft..
Going the end of May works well fewer people traveling in the parks, the kids are still in school. Canyon Village is great, most of the wild life on our last two trips were at this end of the park. Several Black bears a Brown bear, Bison, Elk at Mammoth and a pack of Wolves on our way to Cody. The Canyon is worth seeing early morning or late evening when the colors more pronounced for better photography. Old Faithful runs about an 1:20 minute cycle. If you plan to eat there at the burger shop get a seat and send one person to order other wise you will be standing if a tour bus pulls in.
Traveling to Tetons we saw Moose, and Pronghorn that was it, I'm sure there is more we just didn't see anything else. It is long drive across the two parks sagebrush heading to Jackson hole, stop at the lodge, take the ferry across for some hiking at the foot of the Mt. We came back on the Other road, more trees suppose to be bears in the area but you would have a hard time seeing them. The Grand Tetons were hiped big time by my climbing partner they are nice but they start at 6k feet, being from Alaska we were expecting something different.

If you're a hiker/climber it will take several 4 day trips to see things, most people visit the main tourist stops along the road, they may not even get out of their cars. There are water falls back in the hills, fishing in some of the streams, varying terrain depending on you direction of travel. It is a grand park worth spending some time exploring don't rush, have fun.
S Bradley
Navion IQ 24V

Wow, so much good information here to absorbed. Here I was thinking I had a good handle on things, I see that I still have some planning and researching to do.
To answer a few questions, we have reservations in late May into the first couple days in June. We have two days at (Grand Teton Lodge Company) Colter Bay prior and will be coming in the park through the South Entrance after leaving Colter Bay.

We have downgraded to a small 23ft TT with a Honda 3000 generator. Thank you all for taking the time to give me your point of view. It's very much appreciated. At this time and as little of time that we will have I'm thinking it might be best if we just stay put where we are at due too time. Thanks again for all of the great information.

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were at Yellowstone in May, 2015 and spent 5 nights or so at Fishing Bridge. If I were doing it again, I would have split the time and spent some nights at the northern end of the park.

But, another point of view would be to stay at Fishing Bridge and take at least one day to head south and explore the Grand Tetons. Yellowstone has some great things to see, and the landscape is so varied but it tends to be crowded and driving around the park can get irritating after awhile. We found the Grand Tetons to be a lot more relaxing.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Yellowstone in May and stayed at Madison because it was centrally located ( only 4 campgrounds were open at that time ). We generally were on the go during the day and came back to the campground late afternoon. We took our generator to recharge the batteries. We were there 4 days but could have used another 2 days in the park. If you go in peak season you won't see as much due to traffic. If possible, see the Inn at Old Faithful. It's the largest log structure in the world and the lobby is beautiful and the food is good and reasonable.We were lucky enough to see a mother grizzly and 3 cubs. They walked right down the road towards our van then right past the side.Each visitor center is different so check them all out. Mammoth Hot Springs has a lot to see and you are a few miles from Gardiner, Mt if you need groceries.

richardcoxid
Explorer
Explorer
Some general information about YNP (some general items apply to GTNP also)

YNP is about 45 miles E/W and about 65 miles N/S (2.2 mil. Acres total). The figure 8 loop road inside the park is about 140 miles around. The lower loop is 96 miles and the upper loop is 70 miles around and yes, it is bigger than the states of Rhode Island and Delaware combined.

Whatever time that you think you will need to see YNP you better double it, or to say it another way is that you will see one half as much in the allotted time. The Bison think that they own the road (they do!) and will slow down the traffic to walking speed or all stop for 1/4 mile or more blocking both directions, the thermal attractions also tie up traffic and with a 5 month long summer tourist season that coincides with a 5 month long road construction season and a 45 mph radar controlled speed limit it will take about a full day to see each loop and then you will only see the main attractions. In addition to the occasional construction delays they will also sometimes close whole sections of road (for uninterrupted night construction) between 10 PM and 8 AM in the morning, if you are running late and get caught at night in the wrong area it CAN be a LONG way around to your CG! (The entrance stations will have current construction information or go on line to check it out)

Note- I have seen on this blog and others about somebody "day tripping" from YNP to GTNP. It is done all the time however, remember this is BIG country, you will be doing a LOT of driving. From the Grant Village visitor center (extreme S/E corner of the lower loop road) to Jackson, WY is about 80 miles with Coulter Bay being about 1/2 way or 40 miles. Then from Grant Village add the distance to your CG it will be a LONG days trip.

Then there is the elevation- YNP ranges from a low at Mammoth- 6239 ft to 7784 ft at Fishing Bridge or higher if you go hiking! Drink plenty of liquids and pace yourself when walking.

I recommend that you get up EARLY, leave the CG and be back by 4 or 6 PM have dinner and be sitting in your recliner drinking a cool one when your neighbor drags himself back to the CG at 8-10 PM. Remember that from mid May to mid July in YNP the sun doesn't set until shortly before 10 PM then there is a long twilight.

Cell Phone Service- Only at the major visitor centers, otherwise spotty.

Clothing- Especially in the early or late season it is not unusual to have a 30 or even the occasional 40 degree temperature change throughout the day. Dress with easily shed layers of clothing. Also dress in bright easily seen clothing. I am sure that we all have been to a sporting event, parade or Disney World etc. and we blink our eyes and our partner/child has disappeared. My DIL was born and raised in HI, you guessed it, every Xmas, b-day or Father's Day I receive a Hawaiian shirt. One of them is black with 4-5 inch dia. bright flowers. Not many of them in Wyoming and in YSNP, that is what I wear. If your partner has on a Violet blouse and a Orange scarf with a Pink hat I guarantee that she will be the only one within the boundaries of either NP. It can save you a few anxious moments.

Water- Now I will have to contradict myself, at the altitude of YNP yes, drink lots of water!HOWEVER, be aware that the flush toilet restrooms are are in the major tourist areas- Mammoth, Canyon, Fishing Bridge, Lake Hotel, Bridge Bay, Grant Village, Old Faithful, Madison Junction etc. The geyser basins and other thermal attractions areas have only pit toilets. I have seen the pit toilet line at the lower Geyser Basin 25 or more feet long (bless the tour busses) So be smart about drinking your water and use the major tourist area R/Rs before leaving the area!

Sun- At YSNPs altitude the sun is intense (uv) have and apply sun screen, wear that old floppy wide brim sun hat, wear sun glasses!

If your luck is like mine Old Faithful will have just erupted when you get there and you will have up to a hour and 10-20 minutes wait for the next one. Tour the O/F geyser basin while waiting for the next eruption. Old Faithful INN is a must see (meals are "OK" also).

We have lived about 110 miles (4739' elevation) from W. Yellowstone, MT since 1964, go there 3-4 times a summer (normally before Memorial Day and after Labor Day) and haven't seen it all of it yet! So don't be discouraged that you didn't have the time to see all of YSNP. Just plan on coming back another time!

I don't mean to scare or discourage you but to give you a heads up as to what to expect! After all there was 4.1 Million visitors in 2015!

When in the Jackson area I highly recommend seeing the Bar J Chuckwagon dinner show! If you go, MAKE RESERVATIONS and BE THERE EARLY TO PICK UP YOUR MEAL TICKETS/SEATING TABLE ASSIGNMENTS! They seat you by when you show up to get your tickets NOT by your reservation number. Tim, their fiddle player has won the "Idaho state old time fiddle contest 7 times and the US open fiddle championship twice". If you decide to go you will sit at picnic type of bench seats/table, they get pretty hard, I recommend that you take along a blanket/pad to fold up to sit on. We day trip it there 2-4 times every summer just to see them! Disclaimer- We have no financial or other interest in the Bar J only that it will be the best $$ value for your money for your trip! Check out their website.

http://www.barjchuckwagon.com
2017 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax
2019 Outdoor RV (ORV) Timber Ridge 24RKS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:

Yep it is a little tight but it is the only campground in the park with full hook ups

I have yet to hear of someone who went to Yellowstone for the campground it is all about location location

yep, I didn't go to yellowstone for a "camping" experience. if I wanted that I could have driven 1000 less miles.
bumpy

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It would take nearly a full day to break camp and move to the other side of the park.
If you need or want full hookups, then stay at Fishing Bridge. We prefer Madison as we come in from the west.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with those who say to stay put.
If you were staying for several more days, it would be worth the move.
But with just 4 days, which is a very minimal time to see all the key sites, why spend your time breaking and making camp?

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Madison is a good location and very pretty. As others have stated I would just stay there.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

BPRescue
Explorer
Explorer
I was raised in Jackson and worked in Yellowstone a stint as well. 4 nights is not a lot of time in Yellowstone, and only really gives you time to hit the main tourist locations, which won't necessarily give you the best chance for wildlife, or getting away from people and seeing what it is really about. It really depends on your agenda and I don't know your setup, but moving your rig in the middle of a trip takes a bit of time and almost always severely impacts recreation time for that day. Typically you will try to come home a little early to prep, or spend the morning prepping for the move, only to move and check in during "check in time" (though FB can have openings if early). Then you take a small/close trip to close out the day. Before you know it, a day is gone. At the same time, you know your detail better than I, so...

You likely know this, but Madison is a bit nicer in that it's more of the true camping experience with more space, fire pits/no hookups. You do however share with tent campers and generators which can tend to be noisy, especially with the West End traffic. But, you can easily spend 2 full days here between OF, the geyser basins and Firehole area. Mammoth will be a quick trip you would want to do from here as well and can be fit in one of these days. As for traffic, early morning traffic is MUCH better, so adding on another 10 miles or so by staying in Madison to see the main site of the day is not a big deal. Driving an RV during check in time is.

FB as you likely know is an over glamorized parking lot and you are up close and personal with your neighbors. Full hookups, but no fire pits, tables, etc. This is a hotel room. I am staying there 4 nights this year as well, but I will be there just to sleep and not looking for that "camping" experience. Anyway, if you are attempting to see wolves or grizzlies, this might be better as you are right in the thick of it at FB, but also closer to a better chance in Lamar. If you hit Lamar preferably very early, but late works as well (bring a spotting scope or bino's), you can also spend the remainder of the day in Canyon to see the Upper/Lower falls from different vantage points including the Grand Canyon. Definitely the most impressive waterfalls in the park that is a must see, but many others are beautiful as well.

BTW, not sure what your other plans are, or what entrance you are coming in, but you might consider taking that extra night (or two), and hit Teton National Park. The route through this entrance is your best chance for Moose as well, and while Yellowstone is magical in many ways, the Tetons will also give you just a bit more; especially if you do some hiking around Jenny or Jackson Lake.

So, my final answer is whatever works for you and whatever will meet your agenda. Both sites are central to the park and will afford similar benefits, though picking one and driving the extra mileage is doable if you travel early/late. In my view it is likely a better option than splitting up the trip, again because moving does take quite a bit of time especially in you don't know how long you will wait just to check in to FB. If you were staying longer, then maybe this would be a great option, but as it stands you only have 3 full days...

And sorry guys, I am not a yellow bus tours kind of guy. While they will give you a bit of history, and hit the main spots, they do so at the busiest times and on a schedule, so you are either forced to wait for others, or move faster. There is so much info available on Yellowstone, even documentaries, you can easily get the history before you arrive allowing you to cater your visit to what you want. Now if you are going in blind, without the desire to research or set a plan, and instead let someone else do it, then a bus tour is a good option. While you might say it's not an option for me because I lived there, it is the same for me anywhere. I just won't do the over the top touristy tours unless there is little choice and I have just a couple days in a strange area. It's inefficient and typically very general. Just my $.02...

Oakman
Explorer
Explorer
With only 4 days to visit Yellowstone I would stay put. Why waste half a day packing up and moving to another campground. Madison is an excellent location for your stay in Yellowstone.
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab, 4X4, Shortbed, 6.4 Diesel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
Honda 2000i generator
Rand McNally 5510 GPS

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would stay at Madison for the length of stay.
Each loop through the park is a good day. No matter where you stay, travel time is about the same.
Your signature does not tell what kind of rig. You can use TV or toad to tour the park. Yes, the tour buses have some advantage for many visitors.
4 days for first timer to Yellowstone may not be long enough. We visit nearly every year at various times through out it. It is a place that is always changing.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
While it is preferred to split between two or more campgrounds, if you can't add more days, than just stay put for one day. Madison is a great base to explore the park, especially for your first stay.

Hopefully you won't be there in July or August as that will severely impact how far you go due to the traffic jams. If not during those times, you can do either loop in a long day. Won't be able to see anything in great depth, but it will give you a better idea of where you want to go the next time you visit (and trust me, if you go once, you will go back eventually). In Sept 2000, we made did the north loop from Madison leaving at 7am, eating a late lunch at Theodore Roosevelt lodge, and got back to the camper about 6pm. Didn't do any long hikes, but a lot of short ones at numerous pull-offs.

Don't forget in the evening or morning to take a short stroll over to the large meadow that runs by the campground.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
DougE wrote:
My recommendation is to stay only in Canyon Village. Lots of amenities and centrally located.
I take one day to do the south loop, one day to do the north loop, and one day out to West Yellowstone.
Fishing Bridge has amenities too but it's a parking lot.

Yep it is a little tight but it is the only campground in the park with full hook ups

I have yet to hear of someone who went to Yellowstone for the campground it is all about location location
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks