cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Double towing

DonC
Explorer
Explorer
Been gone for awhile. Just wondering if any changes pulling 5th wheel and boat in Oregon and Washington. Thanks
29 REPLIES 29

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
No guarantees, but one online source I found shows you legal to the NC border; CO, NM, TX, OK, AR and TN (basically, I-40) all show legal for doubles but you'd have to be legal for each and every state based on length, weight and braking. Once you hit NC, to be =sure=, you'd have to unhook the car and drive it separately...or you could just roll dem bones and take a chance.

To add -
Do NOT rely on internet sites to get that info. The websites are put together by just average Joe Citizen who has a computer and knows how to put together a webpage but most likely knows nothing about law. From some sites I've seen it's obvious and much wrong info out there. They're not legal govt websites.
If you want to read the statutes then go here. State Laws Do your research thoroughly. You'll find with laws the info you need will be in several cites which all need to be read and understood. Do not go to just the commercial vehicle sections and think you've got your answer. You're pulling your RV, not a commercial rig. Different laws apply.
Also, just because a state says they allow double tow (it is NOT triple tow) read what you can tow as the 2nd trailer. There are likely restrictions. As an example, IL allows double tow BUT the 2nd trailer can only be a boat, ATV, personal watercraft, or motorcycle. There will also be total overall length restrictions.
There's a whole lot more to it that just "double tow allowed."
Camped in every state

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
sarahm wrote:
Good to know. Thanks laknox.

No problem, but be =sure= to double-check with each state directly.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

sarahm
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know. Thanks laknox.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
sarahm wrote:
So, not every state has a law against double towing? I was going to go straight down to NM then straight across to NC. Will I have any problems with states along the drive?

No guarantees, but one online source I found shows you legal to the NC border; CO, NM, TX, OK, AR and TN (basically, I-40) all show legal for doubles but you'd have to be legal for each and every state based on length, weight and braking. Once you hit NC, to be =sure=, you'd have to unhook the car and drive it separately...or you could just roll dem bones and take a chance.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
mapguy wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
laknox wrote:
Reading that statute, a swivel-wheel would be legal. Just sayin'...

Lyle

It just might be. Washington's statutes and definitions are just vague enough that if you get a ticket for double towing (fifth wheel RV with a bumper pull trailer connected) you might just be able to convince a judge that you are legal per the applicable laws.

Wheel type has nothing to do with a way to bypass the second trailer restriction in Washington.

The second trailer has be configured as an extension. That is no ball or lunette type connection between trailers.

Which is why I'm talking about a swivel-wheel tote (note that I use "tote" not "trailer" on purpose). It's bolted to frame extensions. See Idaho Tote or Smart Trailer for 2 examples.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

sarahm
Explorer
Explorer
So, not every state has a law against double towing? I was going to go straight down to NM then straight across to NC. Will I have any problems with states along the drive?

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Wadcutter wrote:
sarahm wrote:
What if you are traveling across multiple state lines? I am going to be moving to N.C. from Colorado. I am taking my car with me as a double tow. Do you guys think I will experience any problems? Any suggestions.

Do you have an extra $135 you want to bet on it? That's the fine in IL. In addition you won't be able to continue with the car in tow.

How do they know you don't have a CDL???

Doesn't matter. Illegal combination in IL.
If he wants to claim he's driving on a CDL then he better have everything else that goes along with it. It's not a commercial load.
Read FMCSA for all the other things needed.
I taught MCSA for many years and was recognized by the courts as an expert in MCSA law. If you want the class it's 6 weeks long.
Camped in every state

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
CDLs do not have anything to do with double towing recreational vehicles that I am aware of.

X2 My CDL does not pertain to my RV, only to my commercial operating of a vehicle.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
CDLs do not have anything to do with double towing recreational vehicles that I am aware of.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wadcutter wrote:
sarahm wrote:
What if you are traveling across multiple state lines? I am going to be moving to N.C. from Colorado. I am taking my car with me as a double tow. Do you guys think I will experience any problems? Any suggestions.

Do you have an extra $135 you want to bet on it? That's the fine in IL. In addition you won't be able to continue with the car in tow.

How do they know you don't have a CDL???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
sarahm wrote:

Camped in every state

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
laknox wrote:

Lyle

It just might be. Washington's statutes and definitions are just vague enough that if you get a ticket for double towing (fifth wheel RV with a bumper pull trailer connected) you might just be able to convince a judge that you are legal per the applicable laws.

Wheel type has nothing to do with a way to bypass the second trailer restriction in Washington.

The second trailer has be configured as an extension. That is no ball or lunette type connection between trailers.

sarahm
Explorer
Explorer

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
laknox wrote:

Lyle

2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3