cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with Wiring

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Would this wiring diagram be correct? I have 2 6v batteries wired in series for 12v and bought a truck bed tool box to house them in thinking that one day I may want to go to 4 batteries and this will give me the room to do that. I also bought a 600w power inverter that will be installed in my front pass through. I chose a 600w model since I will be using about 400w of AC at most while dry camping. I bought and will have to install 2 power junction posts because the way the batteries will be housed in the box, the battery cables from the camper wonโ€™t reach the battery terminals. I also chose to go with a circuit breaker rather than a fuse for the inverter. I want to make sure before I start drilling holes and mounting things that I have the wiring correct. Thanks!

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
20 REPLIES 20

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The way you have the circuits drawn, there is no circuit protection to the main cables from battery to converter. You'll want a circuit breaker within a few inches of the battery for that.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
The inverter is a huge waste for charging a cell phone. Use a car charger and plug the cell phone directly into the 12vdc system.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Clay L wrote:
Just need to make sure the converter is turned off when the inverter is operating. You may already be doing that with a transfer switch but I couldn't tell.

RobWNY wrote:
My plan is to turn off the converter when using the inverter but I will look at transfer switches. Primarily I will be using the inverter at night when I sleep to power a white noise machine and recharge cell phones. During the day, I don't have much of a need for AC power if any. If we end up needing it for anything during the day, I'll just have to remember to turn off the converter. Either way I'll have to take some action (turn off converter or flip the transfer switch).

Kinda overkill to power your trailer whole house when your inverter use will be so limited. You'll not only have to remember to turn off the converter but make sure the fridge is running on gas and the water heater electric heating element (if you have one) is turned off, along with anything else that may normally be powered by 120 vac shore power. Since you're planning on installing your new inverter in the front pass through cargo compartment it's a simple task to wire the inverter outputs to dedicated duplex receptacles inside the camper by the bed where it seems you're most likely to want that feed.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
And, where does one find those splicers? What are they actually called?

Here in Ontario I buy supplies like this at an electronics supply store chain called Sayal Electronics serving the trades and public but you can buy these anywhere electronics parts are sold, or online.

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, get the negative from inverter directly to the battery.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

No need for anything fancy, just extend the length of each cable with more cable and splicers like these and enclose them in heat shrink tubing.

What are these called and where do I buy them? I can't find anything like them on Google.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
No reason to shut the converter off when running the inverter unless you are plugging your shore cord into the inverter creating a loop. If you are plugging devices directly into the inverter it is fine.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Clay L wrote:
Just need to make sure the converter is turned off when the inverter is operating. You may already be doing that with a transfer switch but I couldn't tell.
My plan is to turn off the converter when using the inverter but I will look at transfer switches. Primarily I will be using the inverter at night when I sleep to power a white noise machine and recharge cell phones. During the day, I don't have much of a need for AC power if any. If we end up needing it for anything during the day, I'll just have to remember to turn off the converter. Either way I'll have to take some action (turn off converter or flip the transfer switch).

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Fuses vs. circuit breakers: there's no inherent reason to always prefer one over the other in my opinion. Probably circuit breakers are a little handier in most situations.

Fuses are generally less expensive and often smaller in size, but obviously cannot be reset. Circuit breakers can be reset and (depending on the type) can also be used as a disconnect switch. Either one, properly sized for the wire, will safely prevent overcurrent in the case of a short circuit or overload and so keep the wire from getting too hot and potentially starting a fire, which is of course their primary purpose.
I didn't think there was any difference. I like the idea of circuit breakers only so I don't have to mess around finding another fuse if one were to blow. The difference in expense really isn't that much.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
jhilley wrote:
There is no need to run 4 cables between the camper and truck. The inverter and converter can connect at the same place on the camper. You didn't comment on what size cable you plan to use. For that distance 2 gauge would probably be preferable.

Actually there is. The stock terminal strips often used by trailer manufacturers are minimal at best so it's difficult to fit the termination lugs used on heavy gauge cable to all fit properly on these terminal strips. I have this exact situation on my own Coachmen and it's the reason I did run a separate set of 4 gauge cables from my 1000 watt PSW inverter 6' to where the battery is located. Since the OP is intending to power an even smaller 600 watt inverter 2 gauge is way heavier than he needs.

Yes, I know 2 gauge cable is heavier than what I need, but it's what I have on hand so I'm going to use that rather than buy a different gauge cable.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Fuses vs. circuit breakers: there's no inherent reason to always prefer one over the other in my opinion. Probably circuit breakers are a little handier in most situations.

Fuses are generally less expensive and often smaller in size, but obviously cannot be reset. Circuit breakers can be reset and (depending on the type) can also be used as a disconnect switch. Either one, properly sized for the wire, will safely prevent overcurrent in the case of a short circuit or overload and so keep the wire from getting too hot and potentially starting a fire, which is of course their primary purpose.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jhilley wrote:
There is no need to run 4 cables between the camper and truck. The inverter and converter can connect at the same place on the camper. You didn't comment on what size cable you plan to use. For that distance 2 gauge would probably be preferable.

Actually there is. The stock terminal strips often used by trailer manufacturers are minimal at best so it's difficult to fit the termination lugs used on heavy gauge cable to all fit properly on these terminal strips. I have this exact situation on my own Coachmen and it's the reason I did run a separate set of 4 gauge cables from my 1000 watt PSW inverter 6' to where the battery is located. Since the OP is intending to power an even smaller 600 watt inverter 2 gauge is way heavier than he needs.

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad