cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tear in brand new TT fiberglass, thoughts ?

yillb
Explorer
Explorer
I have a brand new TT, not even two weeks old. We took a single 4 day trip the day we purchased it. I wen't out today to check on something, and my son noticed two holes at the top of the door area ( pics attached ).

I can't for the life of me figure out what would have caused the holes to protrude OUTWARDS, their is nothing from the inside of the unit to give an indication of what could possibly have caused this.

Dealer said I caused it, thus, won't pay for it. anyone have any ideas, or seen anything like it ?

Thanks!

Tearing
Zoomed out image of both holes
implosion hole
61 REPLIES 61

westend
Explorer
Explorer
does anyone know a hypothetical way that they would fix holes like this? without just cutting a piece out, sanding, and painting ? That's really not a fix, that's a patch, and at a week old, I wouldn't be to thrilled about it.
A good marine glasser could match the gelcoat almost exactly.
I know a guy but he is many miles from you. If you can watch the repair, you'll know it will be close to what you have as stock, if the glasser breaks out mixing pots of gel coat and sets up lights.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Kampingguy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like more of a manufacturer's issue than a problem with the dealer. I've bought 2 fifth wheels from Fun Town, and they always took care of us. Every RV dealer in the country is backed up. Not enough techs and the RV industry is breaking records every year, so the dealers are caught in the middle. You can expect to wait over a month anywhere, if you can get in at all. I try to fix what I can myself.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
yillb wrote:
The roof screws were installed incorrectly, as the trailer began to move they continued to slide outwards causing them to push through the fiberglass. Its all the screws not just the ones that popped through. Getting them redone. They said should be ready by end of week.

Glad to hear

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
So they are redoing the entire roof?
Bob

yillb
Explorer
Explorer
The roof screws were installed incorrectly, as the trailer began to move they continued to slide outwards causing them to push through the fiberglass. Its all the screws not just the ones that popped through. Getting them redone. They said should be ready by end of week.

yillb
Explorer
Explorer
eDUBz wrote:
If it's just too long of a screw or staples that got
Blasted through then it should be an easy fix - once It's cut open they will know. I work with Composites All day - Carbon / fiberglass Structual repairs and reinforcements. It really is an easy fix if they have the right technican.

The rational side of me agrees. The guy that just wrote a 27k check disagrees. A trailer of seven days now has to be repainted. That's not really okay. Again though, I'm pretty rational, and I understand issues happen. I'm afraid if they can't do what I want in a timely manner though, the irrational in me is going to start making an appearance.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
If it's just too long of a screw or staples that got
Blasted through then it should be an easy fix - once It's cut open they will know. I work with Composites All day - Carbon / fiberglass Structual repairs and reinforcements. It really is an easy fix if they have the right technican.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

yillb
Explorer
Explorer
mayorb wrote:
yillb

I'll be interested in how things are going for you with your trailer. We just bought a MPG from the same in Waco. only been out two nights so far. The reason I went with the Waco store is I have friends who have bought there and warranty issues was settled quickly. They were very happy and recommended them. Keep us posted

mayor

Soon as I have more conrete information from them, i'll go ahead and post here, as I have been. Bit annoyed, but so far not at them. Long as they provide me with a solid fix, and ETA, i'll be happy. They did make it very clear i'm not a priority though. They seem to be backed up for quite some time. Though, I won't be okay with that.

yillb
Explorer
Explorer
proxim2020 wrote:
I'm familiar with them and the info you received initially isn't surprising. They move a ton of units, but they don't have the best of service after the fact. They seem to be more concerned with selling.

to be clear, they haven't done anything still yet that is going to cause me to be angry yet. They've had it for two days now, and no call. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow to find out what's going on.

Though, additional issues DID pop up. Three windows leak, sink leaks, and we found another crack in the slide at the top of the trailer.

I told them i really don't want it to go back to indiana, but i should have kept my mouth shut. Now they know i'm in a hurry. That said, I've worked on fiberglass for YEARS, i know that if they just cut it out , sand it, and re-paint it, it's just going to get darker over time.

does anyone know a hypothetical way that they would fix holes like this? without just cutting a piece out, sanding, and painting ? That's really not a fix, that's a patch, and at a week old, I wouldn't be to thrilled about it.

mayorb
Explorer
Explorer
yillb

I'll be interested in how things are going for you with your trailer. We just bought a MPG from the same in Waco. only been out two nights so far. The reason I went with the Waco store is I have friends who have bought there and warranty issues was settled quickly. They were very happy and recommended them. Keep us posted

mayor

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I'm familiar with them and the info you received initially isn't surprising. They move a ton of units, but they don't have the best of service after the fact. They seem to be more concerned with selling.

yillb
Explorer
Explorer
shfd739 wrote:
yillb wrote:
Dealer agreed to fix. They said they will take a while but they will get it done. The dealer was lying, it sat for over a week and they never even called the warranty center. I called and got a region rep to get it pushed along. They are starting next wed .

Thanks guys !

Who's the dealer? Sounds like they're playing the same games mine did when we had a front cap light fire on our new Shadow Cruiser back in December. Took over 2 months to get the cap refinished.

Fun Town RV

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad they agreed to fix it for you.

Did they say what caused the damage ?

If possible I would take a look at it now and then during the repair and make sure they look like they are doing a good job.

shfd739
Explorer
Explorer
yillb wrote:
Dealer agreed to fix. They said they will take a while but they will get it done. The dealer was lying, it sat for over a week and they never even called the warranty center. I called and got a region rep to get it pushed along. They are starting next wed .

Thanks guys !

Who's the dealer? Sounds like they're playing the same games mine did when we had a front cap light fire on our new Shadow Cruiser back in December. Took over 2 months to get the cap refinished.
'17 Shadow Cruiser 240BHS
'08 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
โ€˜07 NBS Silverado 2500 Dmax