cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

16k Hitch vs.24k

97winger
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any disadvantage of using a 24k hitch to tow a 14 or 16k 5th wheel?
17 REPLIES 17

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ralphnjoann wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
austingta wrote:
The Andersen Ultimate is rated at 24000 pounds. It works for anything. It's just over-qualified!

"It works for anything." True, however it comes with several compromises. Need for safety chairs, extra lifting and lowering of trailer to hitch and unhitch. Problems at service departments with them damaging the adapter. Greater chance of trailer hitting TV cab with SB trucks if not very careful.

Biggest PRO, light to remove and reinstall.

People claim smoother tow experience, which I question. Quality conventional 5th wheel hitches like B&W provide a very smooth tow experience. Chris

Don't forget that nice bed deflection towing in the upper weights you will have.
The OP's truck has standard hitch rails. A rail mounted Andersen cannot cause bed deflection as it rests on the rails, not the bed.

Good point!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I love how the mere mention of the Andersen Ultimate brings out the same detractors posting the same stuff over and over. Mind you with no personal experience with the hitch. I've used standard fifth wheel hitches and the rail mount Andersen I'm using now is simply better in my opinion. A lot better, actually.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
austingta wrote:
The Andersen Ultimate is rated at 24000 pounds. It works for anything. It's just over-qualified!

"It works for anything." True, however it comes with several compromises. Need for safety chairs, extra lifting and lowering of trailer to hitch and unhitch. Problems at service departments with them damaging the adapter. Greater chance of trailer hitting TV cab with SB trucks if not very careful.

People claim smoother tow experience, which I question. Quality conventional 5th wheel hitches like B&W provide a very smooth tow experience. Chris

Don't forget that nice bed deflection towing in the upper weights you will have.
The OP's truck has standard hitch rails. A rail mounted Andersen cannot cause bed deflection as it rests on the rails, not the bed.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
The 24k hitch is going to be significantly heavier than say an 18k.....have some sort of pulley system to remove it.....

That is a great solution. All of these hitches are heavy and all late model trucks are pretty tall. Unless you and a helper are tall, really stout guys you're going to have a rough time lifting these 200lbs + hitches in and out of the bed.

I installed a chain hoist in the ceiling of my garage. I loop a nylon strap around the hitch, lift it up with hoist, drive the truck out, then set it on a furniture dolly and roll it to the side for storage. Both my son and I are pretty strong guys and can lift the hitch off the floor fine. The problem becomes when you get the weight above your waist and military press it up into the bed. Sure, you can dismantle the hitches and remove it in pieces, but why? It's just a lot easier and safer to lift it up by a chain hoist and let the mechanical device do the hard, awkward work.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
97winger wrote:
...just picked up a 2011 Ram 3500 DRW with standard hitch rails installed....I have a chance to get a 2009 Reese 24k Signature Series is there a problem with going over kill if I end up with a 14k unit.

That's a fine idea and will not be a problem. You have plenty of truck to handle way more than a 14K trailer. If the Reese is in good shape and is a bargain then go for it. Buying more hitch now just means if you get something bigger than expected or upgrade to a bigger trailer you don't have to change the hitch or anything on the truck.

As was said, the higher rated hitches can have better/stronger latches, more gussets, thicker metal, etc. to handle higher pin weights. My 5er is rated for 14K GVWR. I could have bought a 16K hitch and been in good shape, but a 20K hitch was only about $50 more. The little bit of $$ for extra rating was worth it to me. It wasn't necessary, but I liked having the extra capacity if needed..... buy once and be done.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
The disadvantage comes when you need to move the hitch in and out of the truck. The 24k hitch is going to be significantly heavier than say an 18k.

If you leave it in the truck, or have some sort of pulley system to remove it, I don't think there is a disadvantage.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
austingta wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hitches rated for higher towing weights normally have better king pin capture/latch mechanisms. Win Win! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
97winger wrote:
Here's what I have going on. I just picked up a 2011 Ram 3500 DRW with standard hitch rails installed. We have not pick out a 5th wheel as of yet,it will be a toy hauler which will come in any where from 14k to 19k. So I have a chance to get a 2009 Reese 24k Signature Series is there a problem with going over kill if I end up with a 14k unit.

Absolutely not! It just means you have plenty of hitch for what your pulling. My small Hauler grosses out around #11500 and I have a 25K B&W hitch because I know I'm going bigger down the road and didn't want to buy 2 hitches. So if you get a deal on one go for it. You can always safely go bigger but I wouldn't ever go smaller even though I'm sure there is some wiggle room in their design but if it fails, then its on the owner at that point.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I see no problem with using a hitch, over rated for the job, especially if it is a quality hitch, and you are getting a good price. Many people try to fit the hitch to the truck. In your case 3500 DRW, a 24K hitch would not be over kill.

Jerry

97winger
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I have going on. I just picked up a 2011 Ram 3500 DRW with standard hitch rails installed. We have not pick out a 5th wheel as of yet,it will be a toy hauler which will come in any where from 14k to 19k. So I have a chance to get a 2009 Reese 24k Signature Series is there a problem with going over kill if I end up with a 14k unit.

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
No problem at all.
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

97winger
Explorer
Explorer

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
I like allot of OP like the Curt line of 5ht wheel hitches, we have Curt 16K and really love it .....

But like anything, trailer brands, car brands, an many other things you will have OP stating theirs are the best and the rest is junk ......

The way I look at it is compare hitches, read allot, talk with people that already have the brand your looking installed, go to dealers or RV shows at look for yourself. This is not a cheap investment and make sure you know with confidence that the brand and size is right for your trailer .....