cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Camper New Problems Septic and Drain issues Please help!

oneluv1979
Explorer
Explorer
OK i just brought home today a new to us 2008 Keystone Cougar X-Lite and i found a few issues...Please help me out i am lost....

1) The water tank drain is missing a cap but its a odd cap and i am lost on finding it.... Here is a picture...

2) The black and gray water run off look connected to each other the off thing is the valve is way up under the camper... Never seen anything like this before and there is no valve for gray water...
Again look at the pic....

2008 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 32'
Tow Vehicle: 2004 Cadillac Escalade (thinks its a diesel)
13 REPLIES 13

oneluv1979
Explorer
Explorer
Actually it was given to me.... Our camper was burned down a week ago in a fire.... These people gave it to us...

Now my heater will not fire either... sucks...

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds as if you bought someone else's misery.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Whew! A bunch of issues.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
oneluv1979 wrote:
Well i see the valve for the other one is also covered and more to the front of trailer... I did not tear underbelly but i tested it... It is wide open which is fine as this camper is going into the woods as hunt cabin... I will have it hooked up to a septic and will just foam off the opening to keep critters out..... The drain plug i cant figure out ... I have been on numerous sites and cant find the part

I gave you a link for the cap you need for the fresh water tank drain fitting in my previous post. They are about $2 dollars. However make sure before purchasing that it is in fact 1/2 inch cap. Confirm what size you need by checking to see what size pex tubing will fit over the barb on the fitting. Pex is sized by the inner diameter of the tubing. The link I gave in the post carries 3/8, 1/2 & 3/4 inch Flair-it caps. They are for capping fittings with the barb just like yours. I keep a couple on hand in case I need to temporarily cap a fitting when working on my trailer FW plumbing. Usually when doing mods to it.

oneluv1979
Explorer
Explorer
I am in FL and it does not get cold her so winterizing is pointless....
Got another issue now.. My ac will run for a lil while then pops the breaker...

oneluv1979
Explorer
Explorer
Well i see the valve for the other one is also covered and more to the front of trailer... I did not tear underbelly but i tested it... It is wide open which is fine as this camper is going into the woods as hunt cabin... I will have it hooked up to a septic and will just foam off the opening to keep critters out..... The drain plug i cant figure out ... I have been on numerous sites and cant find the part

chiefcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Open the outside hot water tank cover to look for the cap(s). I always throw mine in there after winterizing. As for your tank flush valves, do you have a dealer nearby? They can probably help you out.
2021 Jayco NorthPoint 382FLRB
2018 Ram 3500HD SRW 6.4L Hemi
2022 Ram 3500HD DRW Cummins HO, Max Tow (on order)

oneluv1979
Explorer
Explorer
OMG now i am so confused on what to do..... should i rip the underbelly off??

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
I think what you have is enclosed, probably heated tanks and valves. It appears that your black tank valve handle has been worked on or replaced. It should be on an extension that goes thru the under belly, which should be sealed up and the valve handle is accessable from under the underbelly. ...

Huntindog has it correct. The valve handles were originally on longer extensions. Previous owner probably had an issue and replaced the valve. The original valve handles probably looked similar to this:

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I think what you have is enclosed, probably heated tanks and valves. It appears that your black tank valve handle has been worked on or replaced. It should be on an extension that goes thru the under belly, which should be sealed up and the valve handle is accessable from under the underbelly. I think something happened to your extension, and instead of fixing it right, they opened up the underbelly and just put a regular valve handle on it.
Your grey tank should be the same way. IOW, the grey and black pipes that are visible below the under belly when it is sealed up, never have any liquid in them (which could freeze) unless the valves are opened to dump.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Actually the the cap you need for the fresh water is Flair-it cap cap. Probably 1/2 inch. The fitting is made by Flair-it and pex slipsover the end with the proper Flair-it nut to tighten the pex to the fitting. The Flair-it cap is used when the tubing and nut are removed or not used. The shape of the inside of the cap is made to seal against the barb on the fitting.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Mobilefleet gives a good run down on the issue. I would go back to the dealer immediately and show them the issues. They should provide a fully functional TT and fix any issues that exist. If the dealer knew issues exist and did not point them out, they are less than fully reputable. Any good RV shop should be able to look at your unit and offer advice on what needs to be done. Best wishes and I pray you get to camp soon and that the Good Lord gives you many fun and safe trips.

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
the cap for the drain is available at any rv parts store. Tell them you need a pex cap for the fresh water drain. The valve for grey/black looks like someone has previously been monkeying around under there. That mesh looking stuff isn't stock to the trailer and valves should be accessible outside of the underbelly material. It could be a drain release for a second grey water tank if you have one. Some campers have a separate galley tank, which should show on your tank monitor inside. If so then the other drain valves are located further down from there under the camper