cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First post, new owner

beaverclever02
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all from Holt , mo. I have enjoyed trolling this site and figure it's time to post. First let me start by saying I am an avid Honda goldwing enthusiast. If you are or know one of us you know that we are we research the socks off everything and everything seems to be a calculated move. So here goes. My TV is a new to me 2014 ram HD 2500 w/ 6.4l cclb srw w 40k mi. We just put a deposit on a 2001 Fleetwood prowler bunkhouse(gotta have room for the kids)going up to imperial RV in des moines this weekend to make sure it is what they say it is. Putting a b&w gooseneck in the truck this weekend, still haven't decided how I want to hook to the fifth wheel yet. What is the overall opinion for cleaning and conditions the tanks on this thing when I get it home?
10 REPLIES 10

MrsSarge
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck on your purchase of an RV. Try everything, all fans, refrigerator on electric and propane, all burners on the stove, the propane oven, the microwave, all the faucets - cold/hot, all the lights, open and close all the windows, the air conditioner, the furnace, etc. Any issues need to be fixed prior to taking possession.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sure you've considered this, but be ready to forfeit your deposit if the trailer isn't exactly what you expect. We were ready when we did our PDI when we went down to Knoxville, Tennessee, to pick ours up. We had put money down to hold it, but were prepared to lose it if the trailer wasn't up to snuff. The last thing you want to do is say "We'll get used to it", and decide you can live with the issue. Do a complete and thorough inspection, surprises are only fun at Christmas and birthdays. ๐Ÿ™‚ Even if the dealer is completely reliable they can make mistakes and miss things that you might consider important. Take your time, and good luck.

Since you have the B&W gooseneck I would get the Companion hitch to go with it. They are an excellent hitch and removes easily and completely if you need a clean bed for some reason.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

beaverclever02
Explorer
Explorer
All great suggestions. Thank you. I am actually getting this at a dealership that says they have given it a "Full inspection" im not holding my breath. I will do the ice clean for sure. We have a 200mi journey to get it home. Shooting for this friday to get it picked up. I installed my B&W this weekend and was able to snag a complete ultimate hitch for $350. for saftey sake I took it by a good friends welding shop and had it x-rayed for saftey to check all the welds.

Limit4
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing to do with your new trailor but my brother in law lived in Holt Mo. in the early 60's. My wife of 55yrs and I were just starting out and lived in Liberty. Brought back memories. Happy travlin.

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
Should you not going on a trip fill the black tank and let it sit a week or longer with septic tank cleaner rid-x in it. Please try to leave a roof vent open as it WILL stink.
Look up geo clean (radix, calgone water softner, and dishwasher pod). Spell checker not working:)
Bounce drier sheets works great to remove bug splatter off tow truck and RV.
welcome new owner have a great time like the rest

Fosters
Explorer
Explorer
I just got online but wished I gotcha before you started your voyage! But If you have not left yet or even if you stop for a drink n food by a convenience store......grab about 3 of the 10 lbs bags and 3 gallons of water.

With the age of your Prowler, be surprised if if had an electronic sensor board to monitor the amount of waste in the Black Tank. But any mindful Human Being would not sell the Rig to you with it full (right?) so I will assume she is empty.

No make sure your your black waste valve is closed (should be closed obviously as you are traveling, gray tanks too!)

Slam the ice to the ground pavement to loosen each bag up real good! Now take the 1st bag and slowly empty into the toilet, then followed by a gallon of water. Repeat the process for all the bags of ice n water.

So now.....while your driving on the highway making turns, bumps, etc. the small ice blocks will act as rocks and bang up against the steel walls and hitting the solid waste n TP along the way!!! This action will remove all this sediment etc. from the electronic sensors or probes. And even if you don't have the sensors, the ice will still "knock the hard around" and all will loosen in the ice melting with water mixture!!! Solution? Rid the tank of all solid waste so when you get home (let sit at least 24 hours as I don't know how long your drive is) then open your black waste valve and watch the now mostly brown soup poop exit into your septic line.

Tip: After the brown poop stops on its own (and you should invest in a clear fitting so you can see when all the waste has exited), now put a very heavy brick etc. on the toilet foot pedal to force and leave it open!!! Or I use my toilet brush to keep it open, as long as you get n keep the water running down to the toilet.

Now go outside and wait till what you see!!! You thought the black waste tank was empty and free of all poop right? Nope! You will see the brown glump out now and let the water run for as long as it takes till you see clear water coming out!

(note: there are other waste clean out options, but the one above is basic and does not cost a dime) except for the ice n water....LOL
"Life is short my friends, and if you don't stop to take a look at it every once in awhile, your gonna miss it!" --- Ferris Bueller ---

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
beaverclever02 wrote:
Hello all from Holt , mo. I have enjoyed trolling this site and figure it's time to post. First let me start by saying I am an avid Honda goldwing enthusiast. If you are or know one of us you know that we are we research the socks off everything and everything seems to be a calculated move. So here goes. My TV is a new to me 2014 ram HD 2500 w/ 6.4l cclb srw w 40k mi. We just put a deposit on a 2001 Fleetwood prowler bunkhouse(gotta have room for the kids)going up to imperial RV in des moines this weekend to make sure it is what they say it is. Putting a b&w gooseneck in the truck this weekend, still haven't decided how I want to hook to the fifth wheel yet. What is the overall opinion for cleaning and conditions the tanks on this thing when I get it home?

If you're having the B&W Turnover Ball base put in, you'd best be served by adding either a B&W Companion FW hitch of some flavor or another hitch that can use the TO Ball base as a mount, like an Andersen Ultimate. Much easier on the frame to use a FW hitch than a gooseneck adapter.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
troubledwaters wrote:
All you need to do is sanitize the fresh water tank and system, and maybe just flush the black and grey tanks.

Good advice here! Don't forget to flush the water heater. There is an inexpensive wand available for this purpose.

As to hitching up, your late model Ram is tall, and the 01 FW may tend to ride more nose/high. Keep this in mind, when choosing hitch model/type. It is always best to tow a FW level, but slight N/H is okay.

Jerry

troubledwaters
Explorer
Explorer
All you need to do is sanitize the fresh water tank and system, and maybe just flush the black and grey tanks.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Welcome! Sounds like you've got a great combination and some good times ahead.

Scott