cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2013 Trail Lite Electrical Question

gwgautney
Explorer
Explorer
I was curious about my 12 volt lightning. If I disconnect my battery while hooked to shore power my lights will not work. Does my battery have to be hooked up to complete the cycle or do I have another issue. I was under the assumption that everything should work strictly off of shore power. Also the refrigerator light cuts off when I disconnect the battery.

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

gwgautney
Explorer
Explorer
I checked the fuses and they were good.
I checked output at battery and it was not charging. the gentleman that is selling it took it to local shop to have everything looked at. I appreciate all of the input. We are new to rving so I think this is going to be a great place for information.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
That is not normal for that rig- or any built in the last decade. Your converter is bad.

There's some variation in electrical system design. Occasionally the converter is connected on the battery side of the disconnect switch, rather than the load side, presumably for reasons of simpler or shorter wiring. That's how it is on my '98 Coachmen--not built in the last decade, admittedly, but it's not that old or esoteric either.

I suspect the converter on the load side is the most common arrangement, and should be practically universal when the converter is part of the power center. Deck mount converters can be hidden most anywhere convenient (for the builder, if not always for the user or serviceman).

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that model will have 2 40 amp fuses on the main fuse panel- out of line with the branch circuit fuses. Check those.
-- Chris Bryant

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
1Wheeldrive wrote:
If you take the battery of of the circuit, there is no way for the 12 volt DC power to get to the lights, fridge, furnace or water pump.

SIGH.
Absolutely and totally wrong.

MOST converters are designed to provide perfectly good 12 V power with or without a battery in place. Some will not.

The OP needs to hook up to shore power and then check the voltage at the battery, with a good battery in place......to see if the converter is working at all or not. As other posts indicated, probably not, as evidenced by seeing the same voltage at the battery whether or not the shore power is connected.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

gwgautney
Explorer
Explorer
The model is a wf-8955-PEC. This is a travel trailer I have at the house I'm considering purchasing. The reason the battery is off is due to it being dead when we got it to house. we had to replace shore power cord and receptacle. Now we noticed that when battery was disconnected you have no power in trailer.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I should add that it could be as simple as blown reverse polarity fuses- depending on the converter model, they will either be on the converter itself or on the fuse panel- they will be 2 or three fuses, usually 30 amp.
-- Chris Bryant

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
That is not normal for that rig- or any built in the last decade. Your converter is bad.

Agree... And, other than storage there really is no good reason to ever disconnect the battery.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
-- Chris Bryant

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
gwgautney wrote:
I was curious about my 12 volt lightning. If I disconnect my battery while hooked to shore power my lights will not work. Does my battery have to be hooked up to complete the cycle or do I have another issue. I was under the assumption that everything should work strictly off of shore power. Also the refrigerator light cuts off when I disconnect the battery.

Thanks
Might be normal but it is odd by current standards.

What exactly are you disconnecting off the battery terminal?
Or are you using a switch?
Does the converter or 12v fuse panel have a make and model number?

1Wheeldrive
Explorer
Explorer
The battery is part of the electrical circuit for all of the devices using 12 volts. The converter converts 110 volts AC to 12 volts DC to charge the battery. Any devices using 110 volts AC (typically TVs, microwave ovens) are powered by a separate 110 volt circuit from the converter.
Basically, shore power goes to the converter, some of that power is "split off" and converted to 12 volts DC to charge the house battery, and the rest of the 110 passes through to power the 110 AC devices. If you take the battery of of the circuit, there is no way for the 12 volt DC power to get to the lights, fridge, furnace or water pump.
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 CC Long Bed
2012 Voltage 3200
2006 KLR 650

MrWizard
you have your answer
yes your camper needs the battery hooked
some do not, depends on the installer converter/charger and the how its wired
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It really depends on the converter you have but the lights should still work without a battery. If you dont have a clean converter you might get some hum on the radio or flickering lights but they should otherwise work fine.
It sounds to me like your converter isn't working at all.
What is the battery voltage?