cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3 axle s vs 2

DIVE2XS
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking into getting a 5er to replace my TT.
What are the advantages vs the disadvantages.
I understand that 3 axles have more ware and tear in turning.
What else?
Thanks
2001 Suburban,8.1L engine, 4.10 rear end
2003 Holiday Rambler Presidental 32'
2 Honda 2000i generators
100 watt solar
Podogy Controler
15 REPLIES 15

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck, we are on our second triaxle trailer and as I noted, the scrubbing is not a problem. And it is not just the front axle scrubbing. The trailer will pretty much pivot on the center axle and slightly scrub both the front and rear axle in opposite directions.

Truth is a two axle trailer will scrub the tires as well.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
Only problem I see with a 3 axle trailer is if your making a hard or sharp turn you drag the tires on the front axle, very bad for the tires and can cut the sidewalls if not careful

DIVE2XS
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I agree with the disc brakes. I had them installed on my 2003 Holiday Rambler presidential. We have been very happy with them.
2 Honda 2000i generators
100 watt solar
Podogy Controler

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
DIVE2XS wrote:
Would like to correspond with you about your 5er. Last time I came off topic the moderator moved it and did not respond to my inquiries. Is it possible to IM member to member?
By the way, thank you for your Service. I was in the USA myself.

Yes, just shoot me a PM, (Private Message)

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
dive2xs, You don't see quite as many 3 axle rigs as you did a few years ago, except for the toy haulers. The three axle rigs have pluses and minuses. The big plus is more braking and increased tire contact patch (surface area) to road, adding up to faster stops. If you go with a quality 4 season unit it will probably be pretty heavy, reqiuring either 3 axles or two axles with 17.5" wheels/ tires. If you go heavy with only 2 axles, I strongly recommend going with hydraulic disc brakes. We're running three axles with hydraulic disc's, and it offers a lot of "mental comfort". memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

DIVE2XS
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to correspond with you about your 5er. Last time I came off topic the moderator moved it and did not respond to my inquiries. Is it possible to IM member to member?
By the way, thank you for your Service. I was in the USA myself.
2 Honda 2000i generators
100 watt solar
Podogy Controler

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
DRV's usually come with independent suspension and disc brakes. Mine is 4 tires. ... no axles. GVWR of my 36RSSB3 is 19K.. It tows and handles very well.

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Side scrubbing.
Watch a tandem or tri axle trailers tires as its being backed or pulled forward around corners or backing into a spot in a campground. The tires on one axle may be twisted one way and the other axle tires are twisted the other..... and the tires actually are sliding side ways (scrubbing).
Single axle trailer don't have this issue.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

DIVE2XS
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks. Just checking to see if the option was avaible if was something to get.
By the way, whats scubing?
2 Honda 2000i generators
100 watt solar
Podogy Controler

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
DIVE2XS wrote:
I am looking into getting a 5er to replace my TT.
What are the advantages vs the disadvantages.
I understand that 3 axles have more ware and tear in turning.
What else?
Thanks

You're highly unlikely to see any FW that has an option of a triple vs tandem axle setup, though there is one guy here on the forum that =added= a 3rd axle, I do believe. They are added to carry load and spread that load further along the frame. That said, the Newmar Kountry Air FWs had tandem dual axles, but they pretty much required at least a Baby Freightliner, at minimum, if not a Class 8 to tow. You can bet that those frames are pretty bullet proof, with almost no flex. Given Lippert's history of frame building, I'd sure want a 3rd axle on a heavy FW on a LCI frame.

As for tire wear, since FW tires almost never actually wear out, it's a non-issue, IMO. Much more likely to age out before wear becomes an issue. That being said, if you put a jillion miles a year on, while towing heavy and always end up in a tight space where you have to scrub to make turns, yeah, you =might= have some higher-than-normal wear.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

DIVE2XS
Explorer
Explorer
You are right. We are looking at the DVR 5ers. Wonder if there is more stopping power?
We want to make this 5er to retire with and do mostly traveling/living in while on the road.
2 Honda 2000i generators
100 watt solar
Podogy Controler

drmopar
Explorer
Explorer
My Stealth Toy Hauler has 3 axles. It spreads the frame load out better. It handles better in winds and trucks passing. Less sway than 2 axles. Still turns fine without scrubbing tires. Should you have a tire problem, you still have 2 tires supporting frame. Some say tire cost is important, but 6 tires do last longer with any load than 4. Mine is a pull behind at 34'. New Trailers and others seem to go with 2 axles now, to save costs? More flex in frame? I don't buy it. My other trailers have 2 axles and I can tell the difference with 3 axles. You will also notice trailer rides better on rough roads with 3 axles.

Just off the top of my head, the DRV products have a 3 axle, as does some of the other heavy, higher dollar units.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I can't remember the last time I saw a 5er with 3 axles that wasn't a toy hauler. If you're not looking for a toy hauler, that will most likely dictate what you get.

Seems to almost be somewhere around the 40' range. Toy haulers longer than 40': 3 axles. Less than 40': 2.