cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Future of the diesel?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good article from Ward's Auto that gives a good global overview on the diesel market with interviews from big brand executives.

Interesting commentary that electric powertrains are angling to replace the diesel as the preferred torque monsters for towing....not sure how you get enough battery life to pull a 15k 5er up a pass in the Rockies though....no question that an electric traction motor will out-torque a diesel, but the electric trains around here run on 750v AC power, not on-board batteries.

Link to Article
19 REPLIES 19

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1109095_volvo-concept-truck-uses-hybrid-power-to-cut-fuel-use-em...

This is a report on Volvo Truck's Diesel Electric Hybrid Concept.
Not too detailed, but I liked this part:

The concept is also fitted with a hybrid-specific version of Volvo's I-See driver-assist system, which analyzes upcoming topography using GPS data and digital maps. Software determines the most efficient use of both the diesel engine and electric motor based on the terrain, as well as the optimal times for energy recovery, Volvo says.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
DC Electric motors can have up to or over 300% torque at ZERO RPM vs
any ICE that has ZERO torque at zero RPM...nature of that beast (laws of physics)

While it is true that electric motors have 100% of their available torque at 0 rpm, which varies depending on how much power is coming from the batteries, when was the last time your ICE idled at 0 rpm? Idling for an electric motor is 0 rpm and idling for an ICE engines is around 700 rpm.

Also, if the ICE is making zero torque at 0 rpm, then technically you can't say an electric motor makes 300% more. 0 + 300% = 0.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
In European cities you can see all-electric semi's even now.
We saw one in Amsterdam hauling containers around town.
And I see Mercedes is getting into the act.
http://www.autoblog.com/2017/02/20/mercedes-benz-urban-electric-truck-real-world-test/
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Dayle1 wrote:
Maybe I missed something, but in the article I didn't see anything about electrics replacing diesels for heavy towing requirements. Lots was said about the decline in small diesels in cars. And I didn't see anything about the death of diesels for commercial vehicle bigger than HD trucks. So how does the article relate to tow vehicles? What am I missing?

But while on the topic it seems to me that diesel locomotives don't have weight limitations and railroads can use multiple locomotives at steep grades only. Over the road is a different situation. Weight (and cost) of traction motors, small diesel and batteries must be lower than existing diesel solutions for both HD pickups and bigger commercial rigs. And a single tow vehicle must work over a wider range of conditions than a single locomotive.

Seems to be alternative Universe outside NA. More diesels are coming in trucks, vans, SUV's and cars. They do have congestion tax in some Cities, London.
, Paris and Madrid.
They have EV's and Hybrids, but they are in a tiny minority. Vans, Cab Chassis Vans and Trucks are all diesel.

Dayle1
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1.wa wrote:
These have been available to fleets for a while now. http://www.viamotors.com

With a 1000 lb payload, and no tow rating, it is a truck in size only and not available to consumers. And the cost is??
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
missnmountains wrote:
"The scary stuff about hybrid battery replacement has turned out to be largely urban legend. My son drives an Escape hybrid with over 160,000 miles on the original battery with no decline in performance. Prius batteries routinely go 200,000+ and can be reconditioned for as little as $1500, far cheaper than a set of diesel injectors. But I will admit that hybrids may not fare so well in the RV world. The key to the long battery life is the controller maintaining a state of charge between a fairly narrow range. For more power on long pulls you may have to draw the battery down much more, resulting in shorter battery life."

Not exactly true. We lived in Colorado for 33 years. Batteries lasted up to 10 years. In Florida, we are lucky to get 2 to 3 years. My boat which has 6 8D's last maybe 2.5 years and are $1,200.00 each (AGM).

Southern states wreak havoc on batteries.

Ken

While heat takes it's toll on batteries, the traction battery in my Prius is warrantied for 8 years or 100k miles. They typically last around 12 years regardless of mileage, even in Florida. They weigh right at 100 lbs and can be changed out with hand tools under the shade tree. Cost is around $1800 OTC. No transmisstion, no belts, no starter... 53mpg city makes it worth it as much as I drive for work. The haters have no basis for their banter.
If Ford offered a hybrid F250 that would tow our TT, I'd be first in line.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
These have been available to fleets for a while now. http://www.viamotors.com
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
"The scary stuff about hybrid battery replacement has turned out to be largely urban legend. My son drives an Escape hybrid with over 160,000 miles on the original battery with no decline in performance. Prius batteries routinely go 200,000+ and can be reconditioned for as little as $1500, far cheaper than a set of diesel injectors. But I will admit that hybrids may not fare so well in the RV world. The key to the long battery life is the controller maintaining a state of charge between a fairly narrow range. For more power on long pulls you may have to draw the battery down much more, resulting in shorter battery life."

Not exactly true. We lived in Colorado for 33 years. Batteries lasted up to 10 years. In Florida, we are lucky to get 2 to 3 years. My boat which has 6 8D's last maybe 2.5 years and are $1,200.00 each (AGM).

Southern states wreak havoc on batteries.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

Dayle1
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I missed something, but in the article I didn't see anything about electrics replacing diesels for heavy towing requirements. Lots was said about the decline in small diesels in cars. And I didn't see anything about the death of diesels for commercial vehicle bigger than HD trucks. So how does the article relate to tow vehicles? What am I missing?

But while on the topic it seems to me that diesel locomotives don't have weight limitations and railroads can use multiple locomotives at steep grades only. Over the road is a different situation. Weight (and cost) of traction motors, small diesel and batteries must be lower than existing diesel solutions for both HD pickups and bigger commercial rigs. And a single tow vehicle must work over a wider range of conditions than a single locomotive.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Long time ago I used to work maintenance in a plant. Worked on electric tow motors of all sizes. The torque was incredible.

whatimmadoboutm
Explorer
Explorer
horton333 wrote:
thomasmnile wrote:

Now if they could only make a lithium ion battery with a decent lifespan in a smartphone, especially since more and more of them come with integrated, not consumer replaceable batteries. :B

I have replaced the batteries in several phones that supposedly had non-serviceable batteries (including ones that were not even listed for replacement by a tech). Buy the battery on Amazon and they even throw in the miniature screw drivers and a tool to pry open the case.
Where there is a need ...

Or better yet, don't support that segment of the market in the first place, and it will disappear. I do admire that you found a solution, though.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
DC Electric motors can have up to or over 300% torque at ZERO RPM vs
any ICE that has ZERO torque at zero RPM...nature of that beast (laws of physics)

And that, that electric motor torque curve is FLAT...main issue is with the max RPM...electric motors do not have the high RPMs folks are used to with ICE's. There are specialty electric motor that can, but they are expensive and their duty cycle is low...or if they will make a brushless DC motor where you can weaken the field...then very high RPMs can be attained...down side is reduced torque

Burbman is right on the power source. Saline batteries are of great interest to me in this regard, but they are not ready for prime time in automotive. They are becoming the standard for the telecom industry.

As for the life of a Lith-Ion battery...it has to do with both the controller design and how low it is drained down to. Drain it down below 40% (on some, but not all) will reduce a lith-ion's life by a very large margin.

It taken care of (a good controller will do most of that via not allowing you to drain it down too low...and the three charge cycles)

Capacitor batteries are another potential, but they too are not ready for prime time in automotive. Lith-Ion or any of the current battery technologies employed in automotive can NOT take a charge quickly....the why regenerative braking is not a big deal...as they can NOT brake enough by absorbing that regen power

Pretty cool and thank you Burbman for posting...brings back memories of my first career in motor controls !!!! :C

PS...Burbman touched on locomotive traction motors...locomotive engines have been hybrids since about 1950. Diesel directly connected to a generator, which powers the electric traction motors, which are double shafted where the steel wheels are bolted to those electric motor shafts...why locomotive traction motors has a flat area on their case...that is the bottom to allow a bit more ground clearance
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:

Now if they could only make a lithium ion battery with a decent lifespan in a smartphone, especially since more and more of them come with integrated, not consumer replaceable batteries. :B

I have replaced the batteries in several phones that supposedly had non-serviceable batteries (including ones that were not even listed for replacement by a tech). Buy the battery on Amazon and they even throw in the miniature screw drivers and a tool to pry open the case.
Where there is a need ...

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:

It's called Planned obsolescence or built-in obsolescence. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Why sell a battery when they can sell you a new phone?