cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you carry a gas boat motor

showperson
Explorer
Explorer
How do you carry a small outboard motor in a Class C? We will be using a porta bote with a 4-6hp outboard motor. Does anyone mount the motor on the back of the Class C, or do you carry it in the storage compartment?
6 REPLIES 6

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I carried my johnson 9.9 and now my Nissan 8.0 in a large plastic tote inside the storage area. Tote is used to contain any leaks.
14' bote is carried with ratchet straps beneath RV.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
We carry our 14' Portabote on the pass. side slide of our 5er in u shaped aluminum mounts with ratchet straps. The 6 hp 2 stroke motor either in the back of the truck, or on the cargo rack on the back of the trailer. I always clear the water out of our lake water cooled motors by cranking them some with the kill switch off.
We always lay the motor down on its mount side.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
AJBert wrote:
Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke? If you plan on carrying it in a storage department it matters. 4 strokes can only be laid down a certain way, other wise you will have a mess on your hands. 2 strokes don't care.

2 strokes do care. I always laid the head of mine on two boat cushions so water would not run into places it shouldn't go. had a friend who laid down a 9.9 johnson and it froze solid.
bumpy

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
Our 6hp 4 stroke Mercury goes inside our 5er under the dinette table on a towel on the carpet. Never an issue.
E.Lee Galik

AJBert
Explorer
Explorer
Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke? If you plan on carrying it in a storage department it matters. 4 strokes can only be laid down a certain way, other wise you will have a mess on your hands. 2 strokes don't care.

fireflock
Explorer
Explorer
You can see one idea here (not mine):

http://www.cross-country-trips.com/tips/boating

I'd be very careful about the cumulative effects of bouncing up and down.

You could also try a Hitch Mounted Cargo Rack since it's a small motor.
http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-aluminum-cargo-carrier-92655.html