cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie purchasing a Travel Trailer

TT42
Explorer
Explorer
I have been reading on here a bunch, but i have a ton of questions myself that it would be nice to have answers and opinions in one location. My wife and I are moving to CA from VA and are planning on buying a travel trailer for the trip and then using it to visit national parks and general camping on the west coast. I have looked at a bunch of travel trailers but they all blend together so I am hoping you all can help with some questions I have. I will give you my specs below so you know where I am basing my decisions from.

1. I am towing with a 2017 Tacoma limited 4x4 with tow package, i believe that means we can tow up to 6400, but I would like to keep it low and make sure the dry weight of anything we are towing is 4000 or less.

2. We wanted to keep our budget under $10k, but shopping around there doesn't seem to be much that is quality from any dealers around here in that price range. Most places I have been the trailers are being offered between like $16-19k (some higher but they are out of the question). I have read on here to offer 40% less than any MSRP pricing, but for example there are a few Micro Minnies that I am looking at, and if they are asking $19k I don't want to be laughed off the lot by coming out strong offering $11,400. Do different brands have different wiggle room, or should I always start off with 60% of the price listed?

3. We started this by looking at Aliners, but they are so darn expensive for the amount of room you have on the inside that for the same price we feel we can get more living space going with a hard sided TT. Also, we kind of want to have a shower and toilet for any boondoggling we may do. So with that all said, I have looked at Aliners, and Rockwoods. Then for the hard sided TTs I saw Micro Minnies and Winnie Drops, Shasta Flytes, Sonic, Camp Lite, Vision, and Sportsmen Classic by KZ. Of those listed, how does the quality and overall lifetime expectation fall out for those brands? I have obviously heard of Winnebago, and I really liked the quality, but am I missing something that you all know? What about Coleman, I mean just the thought makes me feel like i should just stay away to avoid a headache, but again I am way out of my element here. What about Starcraft Satellite?

4. Are there any other quality brands that I could expect to walk out paying $12k or under?

5. What is a good price to pay for a 2015 Winnie 1801FB ? a 2016 micro minnie 2106DS?

6. There was some talk about single axle vs double axle on some of these by the dealers, other than the obvious fact that there are two axels and one axel, what is the difference? When is one option better or worse than the other?

7. What else am I missing or haven't even thought of but should? Should I just stick to a tent, haha?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer, I don't know what I don't know in this area, so feel free to give any additional tips or things to think of that I have not even considered.
13 REPLIES 13

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
I'll agree with the suggestion by a few others to take a look at the molded fiberglass entries such as Scamp and Casita. We're on our second - the first was a 16' side bath Scamp for seven years and, since 2012, a 19' front bath Deluxe Scamp. Both were/are pulled by 4WD double cab Tacoma's.

With reasonable care, these hold their value like nothing else I've seen in the RV world and they're extremely durable. How many thirty year old 'stickies' do you see around? As of this AM, there was a great looking 2015 19' Deluxe for sale in Stone Gap, VA. The seller has priced the tow and camper but says he/she will separate. I'd expect the camper alone to be around 18-20K +/- as it appears to have every option.

This configuration has proven to be just about ideal for the two of us. We're retired, camp sixty plus nights each year; mostly on public lands (NC Outer Banks, Smokies, Canada to Fl and a two week plus trip out west each year, We're about sixty miles south of the VA line and twenty miles east of I95 if you're anywhere nearby and want to take a look at ours (its an 01 model but they don't change much).

Good luck with your search.

TT42
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the help all. We are moving to the Camarillo area. I am leaning toward a starcraft satellite 16ks about $14k from camping world. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on the trailer, the price, or shopping with camping world?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to California! We tow with a Tacoma. Check out the links in my signature for descriptions of our trips and our trailer. Where in Calif. will you be living?
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a new Starcraft popup (for one summer), then a new 23' Rockwood with slide, followed by an old used 17' Burro, then a new 16' KZ Escape E14RB, then a 4 year old Aliner (for one year). Some observations:
The tent popup and Aliner had no upper storage, and bending over for everything gets old quickly.
The tent material on the popup flapped in the wind, we could hear the neighboring campers way too well, and in bear country my wife was nervous.
The Rockwood and KZ both seemed decent for the money, although certainly not inspiring in cabinet sturdiness and such (but they're striving for light weight, after all).

You won't find anything great for less than about $20k. And you will find plenty of units that aren't great for more than that amount! If you're trying to stay low-budget, you could get something like the Sportsmen Classic for as little as $10k-$12K new, and just don't have high expectations. If you also want something that will not depreciate too fast, then you want a used trailer so someone else has taken the biggest depreciation hit. For a trailer that may not depreciate at all, look for a Scamp or Casita; these small, molded-fiberglass trailers have very small frontal areas, tow more easily, and have a cult-like following that supports strong resale value.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"What is a good price to pay for a 2015 Winnie 1801FB ? a 2016 micro minnie 2106DS?"

Skip the 1801FB for two people...no where to comfortably lounge. 2106DS is great if you are happy with the 7 foot width. My 2015 2101DS is 7 1/2 feet wide.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TT42
Explorer
Explorer
BPRescue, thanks for the info on that as well. PUPs have definitely come a long way since I was a kid, they look nice inside. The thing I was trying to avoid with them is the requirement to make sure it is dry when you store it, thats why I was looking for A-frame styles since they can get compact as well as don't have to worry about the weather requirements.

lots2seeinmyrv - thanks as well, those look really neat and they meet our requirements for beds and bathrooms etc. Any thoughts on what I could expect to pay for one of those? the closest dealer to me is in NC,they have a bunch of the 177SEs for about $17,500, what would be a good deal on something like that?

Thanks again for all of the info, this is super helpful!

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
We all like to stay on budget when we buy things but you mention quality and price range so it comes back to the old adage of you get what you pay for. A-liner is a good unit if you don't mind setting it up.....now, I do not own one but have looked at them while camping and chatted with the owners and they love them. Very simple to set up they tell me. Frontal size equals drag so with your tow vehicle limitations a pop up or A-liner type may be your best bet. There are options in solid sided units that will fit the bill too...AR ONE by StarCraft is one. One thing to keep in mind is how much room can you get by with in a unit. Things get pretty tight in a small unit real fast in my opinion but, to each his own. Its been mentioned already too that its PAYLOAD that is the main factor, not towing capacity. Good luck in your search.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Riverside Retro 189R. Dry weight 3450 23'

The 177se is 2990 lbs with queen bed. 18'9"

BPRescue
Explorer
Explorer
Quick numbers online depending on your model shows capacity of 6400lb with 640lb tongue weight which is in line with 15 percent of your 4klb trailer, but I think payload is going to be an issue. It shows online at 1120, but will be less per whatever your sticker says on your door. 640lb tongue weight means you have just 480 per the website. So, let's say you and the wife total 300lbs, you have 180lbs left for gas, and other cargo & supplies tossed in your bed, so you are playing with or over max. Again, I know your cargo is less though, so...

Also, just because you are at or close to max and "can" tow, does not mean you should. It's just not fun or safe to fight a heavy trailer that "falls" just within your spec. By fun I mean your engine will work overtime being ineffective especially on hills, braking not as good, lighter vehicle with smaller wheelbase so you will really feel that trailer. It is also narrower so you will have a tough time seeing around the trailer with your mirrors which beyond normal traffic concerns, means backup up is no fun at all. If you have never towed, and even if you have, just not with the Taco, it would be a good idea to hookup the trailer in question and go for a test drive.

Have you considered a PUP? Especially with the capability of that Taco, you could even get the off road Baja versions well within your budget and open up your camping for rugged boondocking be it the beaches of Mexico, or some of the areas in CA/AZ. Less weight and more flexibility for a small/light unit as to allow your family to grow and may even fit in your garage. It's also easy to toss kayaks on top...

http://www.forestriverinc.com/camping-trailers/rockwood-extreme-sports-package

https://www.jayco.com/products/camping-trailers/2017-jay-sport/

They also have slideouts as well for those future kids..

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=157&Image=5042&ModelID=3314#Main

whatimmadoboutm
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing to consider, with respect to the Aliner conversation, is wind resistance. Regardless of weight, towing a trailer with a lot of frontal area creates a ton of drag, which you'll feel even on flat roads in your Tacoma. With the Aliner collapsed for towing, the drag will be reduced vs. a hard sided trailer.

To add to the responses about single vs. double axle, compare the cargo capacity of comparably sized single and double axle trailers. In most cases, you'll find the cargo capacity of the double axle trailers to be greater. In my lightweight single-axle 19' trailer, I get about 500lbs of cargo in addition to a full fresh water tank. That works for us, but isn't a lot.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
x2 for watching truck specs closely. Payload will limit you not towing capacity. With a 10k budget you can get a heck of a nice rig if you go used.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

TT42
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent info, definitely some things I hadn't event thought of! Thank you

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
First thing to do is ABSOLUTELY verify what your Taco is capable of. You need the cargo capacity, which is the GVWR minus curb weight. The tongue weight of the trailer must be 10-15 percent (usually around 12 percent) of the loaded trailer weight for good towing. That tongue weight becomes part of the cargo of your truck. The cargo capacity of the tow vehicle, and the rear axle rating are usually the limiting factors in what you can safely tow, rather than the tow rating. One person is generally included in the curb weight. So add your wife and your stuff, and the trailer tongue weight, and make sure you stay under the cargo capacity.

2 axles are generally thought to give a smoother tow, and there is a safety factor in case you have a tire blow. But millions of miles are put on single axles every year, with very few problems. Make sure your tires are good, the lug nuts are tight, and check the tire pressure often.

In the weight range you are looking at, you will most likely be in a single axle trailer.

You will need a good weight distributing/sway control hitch. Lots of info on here about those.

Buy the trailer that suits your needs and a layout you like. Any brand can have quality problems but as long as you maintain well, you can prevent many problems.

You are absolutely right that A-liners and similar are high dollar for what you get. The main reason for you to consider one is weight, and towing ease due to the low profile. The Explorer with hard dormer does come with a wet bath. They really might suit your needs, and would be easy on your truck.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board