cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

By-Passing TV Power Booster For Satellite

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have heard there is a way to re wire around the antenna power booster for satellite. My last trailer had a "loop" that would allow you to work around the power booster for satellite (although I am not sure how it worked). I want to do the same thing for my new trailer the only difference being that the new trailer is wired for 3 TV's and I want them all to work on satellite. I am pretty sure that all three tv's come together behind the power booster in some way..

Anybody know of a link or have any information if or how this can be done?

Thanks
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
17 REPLIES 17

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Finished wiring for Portable satellite. I installed another wall plate with a jumper for "A" and "B". I also added a "C" for the #2 and #3 TV's.

I removed the park cable from the middle of the power booster. I attached that to "A" on the second wall plate. I ran a second short coax from cable on the power booster to "B" on the added wall plate. I made a small jumper for "A" and "B".

I added coax splitters to the coax for TV #2 and #3 and ran that to "C" on the added wall plate. I have the Dish 211k Satellite receiver which has Satellite out. I connect Sat out on the back of the Sat receiver to "C" on the added wall plate.

And the end result it that it all works (miracle). I may connect a AB switch but disconnecting the Jumper from "A" and connecting Sat In from the receiver is not a problem... if you could see around the corner TV 3 is also on
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two Rv's ago I ran a separate Sat Coax to the receiver. But this trailer has the main TV entertainment center is the wall between the bedroom and living area in the middle of the RV. With sealed underbelly it's not possible to get in there without a bunch of work.

I was thinking for the two additional TV's (bedroom and garage) since I have a Dish 211k receiver with satellite output on it. I could add a second jumper for the extra Tv's when on Satellite? That would get all three Tv's?

I can't even get started yet. This trailer is so new (one week) the Tv's and mounts are coming via brown truck next week....Then I can get started on the install and modifications...

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I ran a new RG6 coax from the outside dish directly to the satellite receiver. I used an A/B switch to select whether the bedroom TV gets satellite or cable/OTA antenna programming. The primary TV can select either one using the remote's input selector.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
bob213 wrote:
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but....
sat. rewire

Actually I like Bill's way better

I have done this twice. Works great.

Knowing your existing coax's and what is inline with them is invaluable and do not rely on memory. Make a drawing and put it with your manuals.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will have to determine how that signal gets to those TV's. The wiring will get the satellite signal to a satellite receiver located near the OTA wall plate. The receiver will likely only have an HDMI output if you want to watch HD TV. That will allow only 1 TV to receive satellite.
There are some receivers which have coax output but you will be watching SD TV on the other TV's and you will need to wire another A/B switch into that same wall plate on the To TV in an attempt to get the satellite signal to the other TVs.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
You can still use the booster/cable setup as I describe but eliminates the need for a new hole. However, some trailers are setup with splitters between the outside connection and the wall plate. When that happens you cannot wire the coach as I describe and a new dedicated line is required.

The trailer I just purchased is wired for 3 tv's. Using the wiring you describe will the additional tv's be able to receive satellite or only the main tv?

My last trailer only had one tv and it used an additional coax plate with two coax connections labeled A and B. A short cable connected A and B together when on antenna or park cable. When on Sat you unscrewed A and connected the sat box there. This seem to work fine.

I assume for this connection you remove the cable from the center power supply and connect it to A and then a short cable from the center power supply and connect it to B in the wall behind the A & B plate. But what I don't know if this setup will allow the other two tv's to work on satellite?

Any thoughts?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can still use the booster/cable setup as I describe but eliminates the need for a new hole. However, some trailers are setup with splitters between the outside connection and the wall plate. When that happens you cannot wire the coach as I describe and a new dedicated line is required.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Cougarnewbie
Explorer
Explorer
I bit the bullet and drilled a hole in the side and created a sat. jack. All new RG6 wire direct to sat. box. Can still use booster as is for cable or antenna into TV.
May All Your On Ramps be Downhill

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, I will get a AB switch and see if I can get this to work..

Thanks for the input

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but....
sat. rewire

Actually I like Bill's way better
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The easy way to do this is to remove the wall plate. On the back side you will see the connections labeled Cable and Antenna. Remove the coax from the Cable connection and connect it to an A/B switch (the single port). Now connect 2 coax cables to the A/B output ports and connect one right back to that Cable connection and the other will go to your satellite TV receiver. A for satellite and B or Bable (ummmm Cable). Now you ensure the power is off to the wall plate (power on gives you the OTA signal) and push the appropriate button depending upon whether you are connected to cable or satellite.

MrWizard
If I was investing money in satellite service
I would run new good quality coax in the RV for the sat receiver signal
Not mess with a bypass using the cheap coax the Mfg put in
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Its not a "bypass" at all Just take the wire off the power supply and attach it to the Satellite receiver. Look at the picture, that's the way it works!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
I don't have satellite dish,
So I'm confused about this "wire around"
Doesn't the sat dish feed directly to the Sat box receiver
And the box connect to the tv via HDMI cable

For trailers that don't come prewired for a satellite and you don't want to rewire your rig you can use the park cable outside jack for your portable satellite but you have to bypass the tv power booster as the satellite signal will not pass through the tv antenna power booster....

At least that is the way I understood it...