Did you mean:ย 

replace vinyl floor

mjmoch
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tear in my vinyl floor.
I would like to replace it myself.
Is this a do it your self kind of job?
Any special tools, knowledge or insights?
Pitfalls things to watch out for?
3 REPLIES 3

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
llowllms wrote:
You better be really good in doing layout work to use the method suggested by drenjoey. My theory is to do it right the first time and be done with it. That being said, I have seen people inject glue under the split, weight it down and the repair was hardly noticable.If you were to try that I would do 1/2 at a time and wipe excess off right away.

I guess I'll take that as a compliment. I do agree,....It is not an easy job!

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
You better be really good in doing layout work to use the method suggested by drenjoey. My theory is to do it right the first time and be done with it. That being said, I have seen people inject glue under the split, weight it down and the repair was hardly noticable.If you were to try that I would do 1/2 at a time and wipe excess off right away.

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
You probably noticed that vinyl floors in a camper are installed before the furniture and cabinets.
With this being said, I remember doing a similar job in the past.
First, I removed all the moldings everywhere on the floor (don't know if you have any in your camper). I did leave the old vinyl there.
Second, Since the new vinyl is wider and longer before you make the cuts, I took all the floor measurements in the camper (that is the tricky part) and transfer these measurement on the new floor. To make things easier, you can use some large sheets of wrapping paper, and cut them following the cabinets and furniture.
Third, I cut the vinyl to those measurements and brought it in the camper. Up to you if you want to use an adhesive.
Fourth, I install the moldings. If I remember correctly, I bought new moldings and stained them.