cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forest River Solera 24WS

ImaRoadDog
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at a 2015 Forest River Solera 24WS, it is a used unit with 17,000 miles. I have searched this forum as well as other sites and just can't find much info on this specific model. I like the Mercedes Diesel choice, but wonder about fuel economy combined with what seems like a small fuel capacity (26 gallons we were told). The salesman also said these were non turbos, but I thought they were all turbo charged. Tow ratings seems to either be 4200 lbs or 5000lbs depending on who you talk to. We want to tow a Jeep Wrangler behind this RV, but a little concerned about its weight (about 3700 lbs). If anyone can help with these questions or direct me to a web site that has more info on these I would appreciate the info.
3 REPLIES 3

ImaRoadDog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks you for the input. We did end up buying it and will pick it up in the next few days.

KC8RXQ
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the Sprinter 3.0L diesel is turbocharged. Your 2015 Solara should be able to handle the Wrangler but verify its weight and check the Jeep owner's manual to confirm it can be towed 4-wheels down. It most likely can but you should still check.

I have our 2014 Honda CR-V AWD (approx. 3400#) set up to be towed behind our 2016 Thor Synergy (M-B Sprinter too) and the Thor handles the load just fine. I have towed it from North Carolina to Beckley, WV and the interstate grades pose no problems but I have yet to tow on 2-lane roads with challenging terrain.

Fuel economy while towing only seems to drop about 1 mpg so it's safe to say that the biggest impediment to fuel economy is the Solara's front profile. Non-towing we get between 14.5 mpg (strong headwinds) up to 17 mpg but I tend to take it easy on the skinny pedal. That being said you should be quite OK with a 26 gallon fuel tank. The Sprinter Class B+ and Class C motorhomes are quite easy to refuel since you can pull up to an automotive diesel pump which is more convenient than the big-rig fuel islands. You might also consider getting a Scangauge or some other type of OBD II reader to monitor engine systems.
Ed and Robin
Travelling buddies: Nina, Kit and Mickey
2016 Thor Synergy TT24, Ming Blue
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3.0L, V6

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
You were lied to. All Sprinter diesel engines are turbo charged, be it T1N models or NCV3 models with the four-banger or the V6.

26 gallons is normal across the board for Sprinters.