cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Ridge Parkway...first two weeks of April

Singleminded
Explorer
Explorer
We will be moving North the first two weeks of April and would like to drive the Blue Ridge parkway from Ashville to the Northern end....any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

We are towing a 35' TT and will be looking for CG's along the way!

thanks!
Lifelong 'rag-bagger', now sailing on wheels!
18 REPLIES 18

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Singleminded wrote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I will double check regarding the availability of campgrounds....The more we read about the Parkway, the more we would really like to do it!

Definitely worth it, of all the places I've traveled not many have made it in my "must do again" list, the parkway is one of those rare gems.

The others are the Florida Keys, the White mountains, Washington DC, Yellowstone, and the North Rim with Bryce and Zion. I'm doing the last 4 again this summer after nearly a decade since my last trip out that way, it won't be a decade for the parkway.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buck Creek near Marion NC is a great easy in easy out campground with access to the parkway close by. You are also in driving range of many great spots. Mount Mitchell which is the highest elevation east of the Mississippi River would be a "must do." Last time we were there we ate lunch in the cafe. Not sure about their hours or dates of operation. Be watchful of the weather. If it's overcast or especially if foggy just forget trying to drive the parkway! We have driven the entire length from Front Royal Va to Cherokee NC and it is worth the effort to see. Every summer we now camp somewhere nearby and drive a section for a while. It is my favorite drive in the East!!

Singleminded
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input folks!

It's beginning to look like Plan 'A' could be to 'leap frog' the TT from CG's outside the Parkway, use our second vehicle to drive a section of the Parkway.....then move the TT North....Drive that section the next day.....and so on...Solves the closed Park campgrounds, hauling the TT through the park and gives a lot more flexibility around sight seeing!

Can anyone recommend CG's outside the actual Parkway route? Looks like we need to break up the cruise into at least four days so, we'd start out of Ashville and head North.....Any suggestions for CG's with hook ups that can handle a 35' TT?

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Also google tunnel heights along the BRP! I know our camper fits but I remember some of them being very low.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Likes to tow wrote:
The parkway speed is also rather slow, posted limits of no more than 45 MPH. It takes a while to drive it. This is a beautiful drive!!!

This is all true. The beauty does somewhat depend upon the weather, of course. If it's foggy and drizzly, something of the beauty is lost, though it's still a rather pretty drive.

This, for instance, was the vaguely unsatisfying view I had of Glassmine Falls four and a half years ago...

Click For Full-Size Image.

One campground that I would look into (though I haven't been there myself as yet) is Mama Gerties Hideaway Campground in the Asheville area. Their hilltop sites have impressive views.

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many roads giving you access to the Parkway are very steep and some are very curvy. Choose your route carefully. Your rig is not small but you can still make the trip. Meadows of Dan is a great campground just off the Parkway at the same elevation. Other campgrounds near the parkway require a steep decline. Buck Creek near Marion NC is one of our favorites but we always make it a base camp and drive up onto the Parkway from camp without our 5th wheel. The parkway speed is also rather slow, posted limits of no more than 45 MPH. It takes a while to drive it. This is a beautiful drive!!!

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
The Parkway is our favorite road in the east! Of course, we are usually riding on motorcycles!

Most people think the prettiest part is Cherokee, NC to Meadows of Dan, VA. I agree with camping in the Asheville area - lots to do and see there.

Please be kind and use the pull offs to let others by. There are not many places to legally pass on the Parkway.

Have a wonderful trip back north.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Singleminded wrote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I will double check regarding the availability of campgrounds....The more we read about the Parkway, the more we would really like to do it!

It is quite beautiful with out a doubt. Y'all will definitely enjoy it.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

Singleminded
Explorer
Explorer

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Google Camping Blue Ridge Parkway because a lot of the campgrounds are closed till May.
Otter Creek Campground - MP 60.8
Peaks of Otter Campground - MP 85.6
Rocky Knob Campground - MP 161.1
Doughton Park Campground - MP 239.2
Price Park Campground - MP 296.9
Linville Falls Campground - MP 316.4
Crabtree Falls Campground - MP 339.5
Mount Pisgah - MP 408.6
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Last summer we did the Blue Ridge Parkway and Styline Drive. We found that about fifty miles per day and back to camp was about right, allowing time for stops at turnouts and other points of interest. Therefore, we made camp every hundred miles. Our camps for the Blue Ridge were in or near Ashville, Boone, Meadows of Dan, and Natural Bridge.

Three nights at each camp (plus extra days at Asheville); that was one day for moving camp, one day 50 miles south and back, one day 50 miles north and back. For the Skyline Drive, our camp was near Harrisonburg, VA. We found commerical RV parks not far from the Parkway entrances.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not so sure how green it will be that early but as suggested Davidson River is a really nice CG. 1 loop 100% electric. 2 others partial electric.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
My recommendation would be to spend your entire time at a campground in Asheville. You could go north on the parkway one day and when ready to head back to the camper drop down on hwy 80 or even father north to run back on the interstate. A second day you could make a loop south on the parkway, drop down on Hwy 215, visit Brevard, the back up 280 to the interstate to the campground.
A third day could be used to explore Asheville or the Biltmore estate.

The views from Asheville south are some of the best views along the parkway.

For the campground in Asheville, I would suggest you do a search. The only one I'm familiar with is Lake Powhatten NF which does have some hookup sites that would fit your rig. The one advantage of Lake Powhatten is it is only a couple miles from the parkway and Asheville.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)