cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Door height

Jenobandito
Explorer
Explorer
Seven years I had a building built 14" tall so I could get a larger RV at some point. I knew nothing about doors, floors and sidewalls, but I told the large building company what I wanted. Bottom line it could have been built so I could have a larger door, but since they did not listen to what I was going to do, I ended up with a low-profile door only 11'10 inches due to the position and tap of trusses. There is no room to change the door to another side.

Now that I am looking into a small 5th wheel with slides, I am not finding anything that will fit under my door, so without major changes will it be necessary to go with a trailer?

I can fit a 28' trailer into my building, but am looking into adding 10' on to the back. Length is not so much the issue now as getting something hopefully that would fit into the 28' with two full slides.

It is so time consuming looking at trailers, I though I could get some advice from all of you who can give me some advice.
20 REPLIES 20

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Been searching. Here's the first one I found that is under 28 feet with 2 slides, although not perfect from your description, it's a start:

Link here.

Specs: Cougar half-ton series (Keystone)

Specs for 22RBIWE
Shipping Weight 5820
Carrying Capacity 1380
Hitch 690
Length 26' 11"
Height 11' 1"
Fresh Water 60
Waste Water 38
Gray Water 76
LPG 60
Tire Size ST225/75R15D

Jenobandito
Explorer
Explorer
I tow with a Chevy DuraMax, 4 doors (dogs gotta have a place to ride). the bed is about 6.5' long. It has a huge wheel base and it is necessary to have a WIDE berth to park. Will this affect 3 extra feet very much? I know corner will be different, but I also know that longer TT back easier, but I do not know if 3 feet will make that much difference. It is just difficult to find shorted trailers with 2 opposing slides that are under 28 feet. I guess they don't think of people like me who need the room, but short also.

Jenobandito
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 - I forgot to add that I would like spot for a TV, and I do admire large windows. Automatic awnings would be nice. Heated pipes would be nice, not necessary. I am used to hauling water. Thanks.

Jenobandito
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you allen8106. I went through the building structure so there might be an understanding on what I would be up against getting a 5th wheel which is what has been advised. Without massive, expensive changes, yet, it looks like a TT.

Ok, From what I have seen so far, there seems top be more room with the slides on opposite sides. I like one or two recliners, and a sofa bed, but I doubt the two chairs will be possible. My 25 foot has a rear kitchen is so tiny it is almost worthless, a dinette is on one side and a sofa opposite that is on a small slide. The queen bed is miserable to make, especially on my own and as I get older. I am retired. Storage is also tiny. My present TT is a 2004 25' Frontier by KZ. I would like to move up and try to get into there 2000s, and if a really good price was out there, new might also work. Allen, thanks for seeing through my muddle and getting right to what I think was the final question. I am was not sure I would find a 28' with opposing slides. I have been looking as longer campers, as that is all the local shop sells unless it is a hybrid, which I do not want. They do not seem to stock anything under 30 and they only sell one brand. I am 60 miles from them, 100 miles for the next shop, and 4 hours from Lincoln. It is not easy to look.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to "Changin' Gears" and their web page that links into a list of RV manufacturers. The columns identify if that specific brand offers 5er, TT, MH, etc. Clicking the links will take you to the manufacturers, and then you'll need to drill down into each web site to see the various models and floor plans.

The search can be tedious, but this is were most of us start, looking at floor plan, something that looks appealing to each one of us. Then we start looking for the same floor plan with different brands and manufacturers and then start comparing how they are built, and of course, search for someone who has had personal experience with the brands you are narrowing down.

After you get a small handful of potentials, the next step is to actually go and see those campers in person, either at a dealership or an RV show, or if looking used, dealerships or someones house or consignment business.

When you actually step inside your potential camper, you may have an immediate "AH-HA!" moment or you may want to actually vomit! The actual experience of stepping inside a potential camper will give you a far different perspective than a flat floor plan image. When you are actually "in there" it begins to look totally different.

And don't be surprised if the floor plan you originally though was what you wanted will be the one you end up with. It's possible you start out with model A in your ideal dream vision, and actually end up with model Z! Really. When you actually step inside them, and experience the floor plan, the ceiling height, the claustrophobic feeling of the cabinets crawling over the ceiling, or lack of them, when you see how much storage space there REALLY is, or just how awkward it is to light the pilot in the oven, you many shift from A to Z very quick! And if you do, there is nothing wrong with that. Your "perfect" camper is out there, you just need to find it.

Once you narrow it down, then you really buckle down and do the detailed research on your specific trailer, hook up locations, convenience, cost, insurance factor, and all those hundreds of little details that need to be worked out. Including, using the camper successfully with all the slides pulled in too.

Anyway, the search begins here. Good luck! Changin' Gears, Click here.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Jenobandito wrote:
Seven years I had a building built 14" tall so I could get a larger RV at some point. I knew nothing about doors, floors and sidewalls, but I told the large building company what I wanted. Bottom line it could have been built so I could have a larger door, but since they did not listen to what I was going to do, I ended up with a low-profile door only 11'10 inches due to the position and tap of trusses. There is no room to change the door to another side.

Now that I am looking into a small 5th wheel with slides, I am not finding anything that will fit under my door, so without major changes will it be necessary to go with a trailer?

I can fit a 28' trailer into my building, but am looking into adding 10' on to the back. Length is not so much the issue now as getting something hopefully that would fit into the 28' with two full slides.

It is so time consuming looking at trailers, I though I could get some advice from all of you who can give me some advice.

I just bought a 40X42 building with 16' sidewalls to accomodate a 14' tall door so my 5ver will fit in. It has a clear span height of 18'. I found it's very tricky understanding rough opening requirements vs. finished opening sizes and how much head room the doors need.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Well Jenobandito, now that there has been a lot of clarification, and it sounds like you have identified you are looking for a TT with 2 slides and 28 feet or less long, let's talk travel trailers and forget about the building.

So, here are the next round of questions regarding the type of travel trailer you desire. First, what do you currently have? and why do you want to get a different one? You mentioned space. Is your current camper a no-slide camper? And? What do you like best about your current camper you want to retain in a new one.

Second, you want 2 slides. Here again, a bit of what is your ideal "vision" will be helpful? Do you want both slides on the same side as the camper, or opposite sides? Do you want one slide in the living room area and the other in the bed room area? Do you want a slide for the Kitchen area and living room area, or both slides opposite each other in the rear for opposing slides. If opposing, do you want the rear window to be full view, or blocked with an entertainment center? (basically, slides come in every configuration imaginable, so your "dream vision" will be helpful in narrowing down your search.

Considering you are a solo camper? Do you need extra bed space, or is the couch or dinette OK for an extra bed in the event you have a guest?

For a single solo camper, opposing slide in the rear living room with a walk around bed in the front, bath in the middle is a nice configuration. But everyone has different tastes too.

So, basically, what we need to help further is more detail of your "dream vision". There are a billion and a half different types of travel trailers "out there" that meet the simple description 28 feet with 2 slides. So if you can provide more input, we'll all start sharing experiences with our brands and of course, every one will say theirs is the absolute best! And actually, for each person, they are!

Also? Are you considering a brand-new Travel Trailer, or a used one? If used, how old is too old for your comfort level.

More info please?

We'll continue to work with you!

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
When we got our first Motor home, I wanted to build a garage to house it. Banker told me it was foolish to build a building for something that should NOT be there. Suggested that I use the building money to buy gas instead, then there would be no need for the building. and,HE WAS RIGHT!!!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

artman
Explorer
Explorer
If your roll up door has two tracks you can gain a little bit of the height at the door.
The top panel rides the second track while the other ride the first.

Might gain you just enough.
2017 Arctic fox 27-5l

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
You need a builder, not Cleary! It is likely that you can get that fifth wheel in that building cheaper than the 10 foot extension. Call a builder before you move forward. Take my advice, you got nothing to lose, if the 10 feet is cheaper than you go with it. I believe there may be a cheaper option depending on your roof trusses.

If it is truly a 14 foot building, Yes You Can get a higher door, you just need a different header. Will cost but it is cheaper than adding 10 feet.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought on the barn, you could eliminate the overhead door and install a sliding door. You could gain a foot or more in hieght if it works. Maybe not as convenient but it may work as I can only speculate without looking.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem, so it is not mud for me. the building we have is 30' wide and 50' long with doors facing on the north side, and the truss run north and south. the problem I had was the doors are 10' tall and with only 1'8" above them there was no way to modify economically to raise the building or lower the ground without destroying the concrete pad. Built another metal shed with the gable facing to the north with the side walls at 14' and metal cathedral trusses east to west, the north gable is 14' off the ground and closed the south to the other building.
As money allows pour a concrete pad the size you need and then save money to build the shed of your dreams, to ass roll up doors you need to build side walls to 15', and make the building 24' wide to store your tow vehicle beside of it. Good travels to you.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Well it sounds like a TT with opposing slides would work the best for you. It would give lots of room, and you would not need to modify the building. With no helper, you are wise to not go too long. If you are used to a TT, it may be harder for you to adjust to the way a FW backs up, since different than TT.

You did not mention what you have for a tow vehicle, but a bigger, longer TT may not work for you. That can also be an issue with a FW, as they require a heavier duty truck with a fair amount of payload.

Good for you, to continue camping, and taking a yearly trip on your own. I'm not sure I could do that by myself.

Jerry

Jenobandito
Explorer
Explorer
I am sorry that I am not clear. As a single woman with very little mechanical/constructional ability, all I know is that my door will only accommodate a camper 11'8''. It is considered a 12' door, but the Cleary building guy measured it last night and alas....not a full 12'. I live on an acreage, and do not want to pay for storage since I built this building to house my present RV with hopes of upgrading. As I said, the Cleary rep did not hear what I was saying and I got what I got. Since I am struggling to understand how the distance to the bottom of the trusses matters, I figured all I could get in there was something less than 11'8''. Concrete floor. Wood trusses going the wrong direction to slip in between.

Yes, I could come out the front, move the door. But I am pretty particular how things look and my building in is line with the garage, and when you drive into the acreage you can see my vineyard, which is pretty.

As previously said, money is an issue. Since I am on a limited pension, I cannot revamp this building much and continue with my long-term plans on money lasting. I mentioned the building so as to explain my difficult situation.

I guess I am really asking for advice on trailers, since 5th wheels will not work in this building. I would like to have two slides and would like the trailer to be around 28'. Until I actually hear back from Cleary on how much it will cost to add 10' to the back of the building, I will not know how long I can get. However, I know myself and since I presently pull a 25' trailer, am not sure that I can handle much more than 28' with the difficulties in fuel stations, campground, etc. As I mentioned, I am alone and need to simplify and still enjoy my RVing.

I go out for several long weekends a year, and one 4 -6 week long trip a year.

I have two great Pyrenees dogs, which is the reason for an upgrade with two slide rather the one small slide I presently have.

Sorry, this probably seems inane to your seasoned men and woman, but it is serious to me.I have pulled a trailer for over 25 years, just short ones.
I would love to have an awesome 5th wheel with all the room in the world, but I have to live within my means and hoped I could get some advice. Please forgive my not giving enough information to begin with.