cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof Vent Cover...One Fit Only & Which Brand or Color?

Fosters
Explorer
Explorer
I have the basic ceiling fan in the bedroom and in the bathroom. Then I have a 3rd but more techo fan in the kitchen ceiling which as you know (if you have one that is) has it's own thermostat and the roof lid can be opened manually or electronically.

So 1st question is, what Brand do you recommend? i.e. Camco, Maxi Air (I think it's called) and there is a 3rd Manufacturer I believe?

And 2nd, even tho I have the one thermo controlled fan, is the Roof Opening the exact same as the other 2 basic fans? i.e. if I ordered 3 covers will the 3rd one fit perfectly as the other 2?

And finally 3rd, I was asking your opinion on what color? Black, White, Clear, or even Smoke? i.e. reasons like the white would show all the dirt. the clear even worse showing all the dirt! black maybe great as can't see the dirt but at the same time, blocking all the
beautiful daylight, and darkening the inside!!! So lemme know "if you have been there" etc. and would do it differently if these **** covers were not so darn expensive for a simple plastic rectangular box, right???

Thank you in advance to all!
"Life is short my friends, and if you don't stop to take a look at it every once in awhile, your gonna miss it!" --- Ferris Bueller ---
9 REPLIES 9

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting a VORTEX fan for my birthday to replace the tiny fan in our bathroom vent, but it has't been delivered yet... Don't expect the MAXX air cover to have any effect on it. Might restrict air a bit at highest speed, but I don't see that as a problem.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
To be really correct, in the summer, if the AC is running, and it is cooler inside the RV, when you open a door, the cool air inside will flow out the door, which MIGHT cause a bit of warm outside air to be drawn in from under the vent cover. So, a dark vent might have a bit more hot air under it than a white one would.. Worst case, they also sell insulated plugs that fit in your vent, and keep any air from going in or out.

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Our Maxx-airs(3) are white, because that is the same color as the roof. As far as heat goes, Yes, the dark ones may absorb more sun heat, but they are VENT covers, with open holes for heat and air to flow out of. Heat goes up, the covers are on top, heat goes out the holes. Simple! If the vent under it is open then the rising heat just draws more air, whatever the temperature from below. And yes, one of ours is mounted over a fantastic fan, so we can leave the fan vent open when it rains. Keeps the inside temperature below or at the maximum outside air.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I have black Camco on ours. We didn't want light pouring in with all the windows we have. The black does not produce anymore heat than our white one did.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
There is a cover that is mounted to the roof that if you leave the vent open it keeps the rain out. Had them installed on last RV. worked great, less that $75.00 installed.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, I got focused on the vent fans and lost track. 🙂 As far as covers, I'd get the one that installs the easiest and looks to be the most sealable.

And I go with white. You're right about the smoked windows, but that's because they block UV rays from heating up the inside of the trailer. But a black/smoke cover will just absorb the UV rays and pass that heat right on to the inside.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
I have white on the bathroom vent and black on the vent over the bed in the camper. Put the black one on before we went to Alaska and the rest of the North last year. It kept out most of the all night sunshine, and with the white one in the bathroom, we didn't need to turn on the light to see in the middle of the night.
Trailer has only one and it is white.
It is mostly preference as to which colour to choose, except black is good for the north in the summer.
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Fosters
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, 14" X 14" sounds very true!

Don't know what the Fantastic Fan is, but you know I just want n need is Vent Covers on the roof right? Do not need inside fans.

I'm leaning towards the "Smoke" color so I don't lose all the light coming thru and she still will not show all the dirt on the top of her.

And I do agree that the Black color will absorb the Sun Rays and push that heat into my rig which I do not want. Or.........can the Black choice act or serve as the same as "tinted windows" on vehicles like any smart full time resident in South Florida or Floridian maintains??? Its proven to keep vehicles cooler during the summer. Would this theory work the same with regard to the RV Vent Cover application? Now I have to rethink this, black v white?

Maybe a Member has tried both and would know?

I just want the purpose of the Cover to Priority One: Keep Out the rain, leaves, acorns, etc.! And still important, if I have all the roof lids raised during the summer and step out for awhile and during that time it pours rain and my inside rig gets soaked. But these covers well appear to fix that problem!!! So even if I forget to close the lids, my interior still will not get wet, right?
"Life is short my friends, and if you don't stop to take a look at it every once in awhile, your gonna miss it!" --- Ferris Bueller ---

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would get the FantasticFan. I had one and it worked excellently. I have a different brand, no idea which since it came with the toyhauler, but not happy with it at all.

I like white because it lets in light, and won't get as hot as a black one will in the direct sun.

I believe the roof openings are all the same: 14" X 14" I think.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"