cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Easiest Route from FL to Mesa Verde

firefly925
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving end of June and driving from treasure coast area to Mesa Verde. Want to drive as much as possible on the front end to maximize our time out west. What is the simplest route to travel, I-10 or was thinking of going up to Memphis and across on 40. Any other routes recommended? We are traveling in a 35'motorhome and towing a car. We have 20 days, are driving one way and flying home...have 2 kids ages 14 and 11.

Much thanks in advance.

Also,how much time should we allow to get there without killing ourselves in driving, driving, driving...
13 REPLIES 13

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven from Tallahassee to Gallup, NM in three days with one 17 hour stretch in a camper van (RoadTrek), but those were the old days. Now we allow ourselves four days. Yes, you can drive from Memphis in two days. Once you get on I-40 you can make time, getting from Florida to Memphis is the trick. We liked the Memphis to Birmingham via I-22 route last summer. The interstate does not extend all the way into Memphis yet and traffic is bad but overall I liked it. I was driving alone so the directness of the route appealed to me. lizzie

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
firefly925 wrote:
What if we were to drive to Memphis first, spend a night or two, then across 40? From Memphis to Mesa Verde is this doable in two days?

If you push hard then the answer is yes.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

firefly925
Explorer
Explorer
What if we were to drive to Memphis first, spend a night or two, then across 40? From Memphis to Mesa Verde is this doable in two days?

firefly925
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Lizzie - How long would it take you to get to Mesa area going either way?

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
We done this trip (vicinity of Mesa Verde)so many times that I think we have tried just about every route. We like I-10 to Lafayette,LA (use I-12 to by-pass New Orleans). Take I-49 to Texarkana then we wander through the boonies on US 71/59 to intersect with I-40 at Ft Smith. Then it is I-40 west as far as we want to go (usually somewhere in New Mexico) before turning north. A faster way is to travel I-10 to US 231 at Cottondale. Take US 231 to Montgomery, AL (4-lane all the way). Get on I-65 to Birmingham and continue to the new interstate, I-22 which goes to Memphis where you get on I-40. We used this route coming home last fall. lizzie

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
20 days one-way is very doable. Relax!

You said you've made reservations already... what does your itiniary look like? How many days have you allowed getting from one place to another and how many days at each end? Where exactly are you leaving from in Florida and how many days have you allowed for your first stop?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

firefly925
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions, a huge help as we have not done this before. Mesa verde is our first stop then GC North Rim Zion and Sequoia NPs. Will need to meet up with family friend who will take over RV somewhere in vicinity of San Fran. Was thinking flying out of San Jose or Oakland. I've got all the NP reservations made with just a couple of nights at each spot. Any advice is most welcome. When this opportunity arose we jumped on it thinking it would be a memorable trip for us as a family before the kids get much older, there are moments where I feel we may have bitten off more than we can chew. If time were limitless it would be no big deal, but 20 days is about the max for me and work vacay. Thanks again.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Busskipper wrote:

Look over this route - slips by many of the big cities - uses a few non Interstate roads - lets you come into Colorado on Rt 160.

Option for Destin to Cortez.

Texarkana will allow you to Miss Dallas on through Paris, TX - then to Amarillo then up to Walsenburg, taking Rt 160 across some beautiful country to Mesa Verde.

This is the best advice, and I hope you will take it seriously, amid all the other possibilities. We have followed it many times.

I post the advice to follow US 82 across North Texas to avoid traffic congestion and stop lights in the Dallas/Fort Worth area repeatedly, even though I begin to sound like a broken record!

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
firefly925 wrote:

Leaving end of June and driving from treasure coast area to Mesa Verde.

Want to drive as much as possible on the front end to maximize our time out west.

What is the simplest route to travel, I-10 or was thinking of going up to Memphis and across on 40. Any other routes recommended?

We are traveling in a 35'motorhome and towing a car. We have 20 days, are driving one way and flying home...have 2 kids ages 14 and 11.

Much thanks in advance.

Also,how much time should we allow to get there without killing ourselves in driving, driving, driving...

Look over this route - slips by many of the big cities - uses a few non Interstate roads - lets you come into Colorado on Rt 160.

Option for Destin to Cortez.

Texarkana will allow you to Miss Dallas on through Paris, TX - then to Amarillo then up to Walsenburg, taking Rt 160 across some beautiful country to Mesa Verde.

I would try to start early - possibly right after work for your first day - adding that 4-5 hours (possibly just sliding into a Wall*Mart for that first night) will make a big difference on the total drive, making it "Possible" to get there in "4" more good driving days. (My total drive is 1600 miles so if you get 200 miles in then 350 a day will get you there in 4, easy days)

Where are you flying out from?

Is Mesa Verde the Only Destination?

This route will get you close to Sand Dunes NP - Pagosa Springs - Durango - Silverton and the Silverton RR - San Juan's, So you might be able to explore a few of the other sites, as you drive to Mesa Verde. If your plan is to Head towards Denver to Fly out, then you will have a variety of options for that drive, we'll wait for more info before we go into that.

Get back to us for more info, Best of Luck,

On Edit-

Sorry left out the 500 miles to get to the Pan Handle of Florida - So it may be Drive - Drive - Drive, but the route is still good once you leave florida.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
jerseyjim wrote:
I-10. Suggestion: last time I did that, around New Orleans I got on I-12. Kind of a bypass that ends with I-10. Better road than I-10.

That's true, I never drive thru New Orleans. As for traveltrailer's route, that is the way we would go but I gave you the other route since it has fewer road changes.
Superbumper

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I-10. Suggestion: last time I did that, around New Orleans I got on I-12. Kind of a bypass that ends with I-10. Better road than I-10.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I-75 to I-10 to Mobile. US-98 to US-49 to I-20. Get around/thru Dallas and take US-287 to I-40. I-40 to I-25 to US-550 to US-160 to Mesa Verde. 2095 miles.

We have driven all of this route although not all in one trip and never trying to make the best time.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I-10 to I-25 in New Mexico then at Alburquerque get on US 285N to US 160W in Colorado. Follow that west to Mesa Verde.

When were were pushing hard at the front end we'd usually end up east of Houston on day one (starting from Gainesville area) Then day would put us west of San Antonio and Day three in New Mexico. Those were long days on the road, start at 8 AM at the latest and drive to 8-9 PM. Minimize stops for anything other than fuel.

On one trip when we had reservations in Yosemite (which are very hard to get) we were delayed starting for two days. We really pushed hard and were in Yosemite by midday on day 4.
Superbumper