Explorer
HitchGrip

Likes or dislikes?
25 REPLIES 25

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ranger431 wrote:
One question I had for those of you that have this - is there a cradle or magnet that stops the hitch ball from sliding out the "side"?

Ranger-
The opening for the ball has metal teeth to hold on to the ball when moving the hitch. It can, in fact, fall out if not careful. However, the design helps hold everything steady. I've never dropped the hitch once.

The best design feature is the handle placement. When removing the WD hitch, the handle is centered over the weight of the hitch to make moving it easier. When installing the hitch, after sliding the receiver in, turning the handle 180 degrees makes sliding the ball into the receiver easier.

Again, I highly recommend it. It's not a need, but a nice tool to simplify things.
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I store my hitch in a locked coupler as well. The HitchGrip tool is of little use when doing this because it grabs the ball, so I made my own carry tool. I can't understand why most folks don't do the same because it is a theft deterrent for both the hitch and the trailer, it keeps the ball clean, it is out of the receiver and doesn't mess up any storage area.

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
Dupe Post ๐Ÿ˜ž

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Ranger431 wrote:
Seems like a neat concept, but I store my hitch in the front, street side storage compartment (along with all of my other "parts / accessories") and it doesn't have the height required to fit in with the handle. I just keep a pair of leather work gloves in there. I'm in pretty good shape so the weight / ergonomics aren't a problem (yet).

One question I had for those of you that have this - is there a cradle or magnet that stops the hitch ball from sliding out the "side"?

Here's how I store my hitch "junk". Note the drawbar is locked in the coupler and the spring bars are padlocked to the safety chains. I know a determined thief can still steal the stuff but there's usually not many of them in the parks I go to. By storing them like this I keep all the greasy stuff out of the storage compartments. The little chain around the tongue jack just holds up the free ends of the sway bars. They're not padlocked in place but could be.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
Each to his own. I see it as a solution in search of a problem. Just grab it and go. Can't imagine I'd need a special tool for that.

Well again it's sorta like investing in an electric tongue jack it's not meant to solve a problem as you mistakenly think and it's not that it's absolutely necessary, but until you have used one and see how it simplifies and makes the job so much easier it's one of those Mikee things that if "YOU TRY IT YOU'LL LIKE IT" scenarios and then you'll appreciate it's value. But, until then you just won't be able to understand. However, just reading the 100% positive reviews from those that have it should be telling those doubting Thomases something and that's O.K. if those few just don't get it ... it's their loss and we're just trying to help.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
Bent 12" nail and an old bastard file handle. Balanced just right and no grease on my hands or money out of my pocket.

Nice work!

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
TxTwoSome wrote:
I looked at this for my hitch. I decided i could make one.

I will attach a picture of what i made.

It works great and was CHEAP!

http://s365.photobucket.com/user/bgrfor3/media/Trailer%20Mods/Hitch%20Head%20Handle3.jpg.html?o=19

Those are some nice mods! Thanks for sharing ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ranger431
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like a neat concept, but I store my hitch in the front, street side storage compartment (along with all of my other "parts / accessories") and it doesn't have the height required to fit in with the handle. I just keep a pair of leather work gloves in there. I'm in pretty good shape so the weight / ergonomics aren't a problem (yet).

2020 Jayco Eagle 355 MBQS

2011 Ford F-350

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Bent 12" nail and an old bastard file handle. Balanced just right and no grease on my hands or money out of my pocket.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Each to his own. I see it as a solution in search of a problem. Just grab it and go. Can't imagine I'd need a special tool for that.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Piddlers
Explorer
Explorer
We have one and it really does work well. As someone else stated, it makes it easier to carry the hitch, balanced and away from the body.

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Love it! One of those things I never knew I needed until I got it. Makes moving and putting the hitchhead on my Equalizer hitch into the receiver a heck of a lot easier,

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
I have one (short, old lady) and I LOVE it.