cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas can

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone carry a spare gas can when on long trips? Carry it where? Full or empty. Still debating on taking the EU2000 on road trip, even if the built in works fine. Things to consider, DW ran the rig out of gas while I wasn't paying attention. Road side assistance will bring you gas, assuming you are in cell phone range.
Seems a lot of "emergency" items could be skipped if you could depend on roadside assistance. I've got both Geico auto insurance roadside assistance as well as AAA RV, so I should be covered as long as I can get a hold of them. Preppping for a extended cross country road trip has got me a bit nervous. What did I forget this time.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions
26 REPLIES 26

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
A coworker with an Avion TT and a Dually Dodge diesel wanted some way of securing his two Honda 2000EU generators while in the campground (he keeps them locked in the back of the truck when not in a campground. He ended up with a piece of not too heavy diamond tread that both gennys mounted to, and had the thin 7/8 or so thick unistrut run along the edges. He left enough diamond tread sticking out to go under one of the tires on his trailer, and when he parked in the campground, he took the gennys out and shoved the open part of the plate behind a trailer wheel and then backed the trailer onto it. The uni-strut kept the plate from flexing up so someone could unscrew the gennys, and acted as a indicator of when he had rolled over one of them. One would have had to jack the trailer or move it forward or aft to get the gennys, so secure from the average opportunist thief.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
this looks like an interesting mount for the generator, too bad it won't fit on the back of my rv as it would block the licence plate and tail lights, other side ladder is in the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE6iW6hVNdQ
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
Still debating on taking the EU2000 on road trip, even if the built in works fine.

My concern also..I am looking for the perfect bumper mount bracket for the Honda and one gas can.

I do

use a hitch haul

sometimes to haul extra stuff or the atv trailer for long stays in the backcountry but the city jaunts are another matter, where total length and

theft are a concern.

In regards to the theft issue.
I use a 'locking hitch pin' on my cargo carrier.
You could then chain and lock down the gen to the cargo carrier.

I also use these same locking hitch pins on the toads tow bar and the receiver on the MH. All keyed alike.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Still debating on taking the EU2000 on road trip, even if the built in works fine.

My concern also..I am looking for the perfect bumper mount bracket for the Honda and one gas can.

I do use a hitch haul sometimes to haul extra stuff or the atv trailer for long stays in the backcountry but the city jaunts are another matter, where total length and theft are a concern.

For now,I just make sure I keep the gas as full as I can and use the onboard gen set for traveling and leave the Honda home.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, from stuff we carry along in our 24 foot Class C we've helped:

1. A 5'er owner - by lending him the air compressor we carry along.

2. A TT owner - by lending him the high lift hydraulic jack we carry along.

3. A motorcycle owner - by lending him an unusual socket size we had along in our tools.

4. Our RV'ing companions - by lending them a spare water pump that we carry along.

5. Ourselves - by pruning a low hanging branch with the extension pruner we had carried along that particular time.

"You can't carry too much just-in-case stuff along ... just more than you you can fit in or more weight than your rig can carry."
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Sure, but that could be used to justify carrying anything. Chain saw. Defibrilator. Whatever.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carried a 2.5 gal can once. Poured the fuel into a stranded car in UT 25 miles from next service. They said they had been trying to wave people down for over an hour to get a lift.

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
Bordercollie wrote:
On a cross country trip when piling up the miles, it seemed that we were down to 1/4 tank every time our Tioga saw a gas station. Our credit card company shut the card down, we called to inquire, and they said that they were concerned that somebody else was filling up at our expense. That was when pumps would only dispense $75 worth at a time. It might be wise to alert your credit card company about a cross country frequent fill-up trip.

That happened to us once. We were 1200 miles from home and only $200 in the wallet. After one day of wrestling with the credit card company, they reinstated our card. Now we have at least two cards, more money, AND we call them ahead of our trip so that they know.

Funny thing -- the card contact told us someone was spending our money in Mexico. We said we were in New Mexico, not Mexico. Fell on deaf ears. Geez.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
photobug ... nice Lazy Daze Class C you have (or had)!

There's no emergency road service in some camping spots ๐Ÿ˜‰ :

Our Class C has a built-in generator fed from it's main 55 gal. gas tank. We also pack along a little Honda generator for backup. We carry gas for this small generator in a 2 gal. safety can. This small amount of gas could also provide about 15 more miles of travel from the main engine, but in a Class C's outside storage compartment it's important that a safety can be used for gasoline. Here's a steel Type ll safety can similar to what we carry in an outside storage compartment:
https://www.amazon.com/Justrite-7220120-Galvanized-AccuFlow-Hazardous/dp/B003FZB3M6/ref=pd_sim_86_29...
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
On a cross country trip when piling up the miles, it seemed that we were down to 1/4 tank every time our Tioga saw a gas station. Our credit card company shut the card down, we called to inquire, and they said that they were concerned that somebody else was filling up at our expense. That was when pumps would only dispense $75 worth at a time. It might be wise to alert your credit card company about a cross country frequent fill-up trip.

Big1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm planning a 1,150 miles trip this September and was thinking about carrying a 5 gals gas can and if I don't need it I was always use it later.
2022 Ram Laramie 3500 6.7L CTD CCLB
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
I carry this gas can empty just in case that I need to fill up and the gas stations have a steep approach or since I am towing a car not be able to get out of after getting into. It would be a major pain to have to fill up 5 gallons at a time parked next to a gas station but better than not being able to fill up at all.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Now I never pull off with less than 1/2 tank in the MH

If I will be staying more than one day, my last stop before the campground is a gas station to top up.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I keep a large 'empty' gas can on board the MH all the time. Even though I do tow a car.

Not all gas stations sell cans and if they do have one my experience was they wanted 50 bucks cash to borrow it for a road emergency Long gone are the days when they would lend you one.. :R

So an empty gas can on board will at least be available for a passer by that might stop to help you get gas since you don't tow a car.

Bringing a Portable gen with when you have an on board gen? Don't really see the reasoning behind doing that. Your gen on board runs off the MH gas tank. all I do is make sure I never pull off the road to park with less than a 1/4 tank of gas so in an emergency I can always use the gen on board.

The ONE and ONLY and LAST time I pulled off the road with around 1/4 tank gas the CG had a power outage.:R
Luckily the big gas tank came in handy to fill up the MH so the gen could be used. Power was out for 3 days do to storm damage. Now I never pull off with less than 1/2 tank in the MH

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.