cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DirecTV in Florida (Possibly fixed)

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
Parked in central Florida using Winegard Carryout for DirecTV. Every afternoon into early evening experiencing loss of signal (Error 771). Later in the evening it clears up and is fine during the day. Signal meters show good signal and have not experience signal loss during rain storms. This is happening on clear to partly cloudy days.

Any suggestions?
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)
13 REPLIES 13

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Clue words and phrases
Parked in FLORDIA
Early Evening.

Now if I wanted to I might be able to calculate the precise time but Well let's try about 20 degrees. so 2:20,, Might that be when you loose signal, Or perhaps later without doing a whole lot more math.

Orbiting at GeoSync altitude over the equator is a box, AMC-4 is the name of this box,, That is your DirecTV source. Normally works very well. However orbiting out at about 1 AU (Astromical Unit) is a bigger item.. Known as the SUN, and when the SUN lines up with AMC-4.. Your antenna goes blind.

Kind of like me going to supper the other night (Friday) driving towards said sun.. now I was able to control it, but it was blinding. (Without sun glasses) Sadly that won't help you

you are trying to see the light of a match in the glare of a blast furnace.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
No problems again today.
Hayden & Jan
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a reasonable explanation!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
haydoracin wrote:
y. So I'm guessing it might have been caused by too much heat around the receiver.
That sounds right. My DTV receiver is very heat-sensitive. It just locks up.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
I remembered having a problem when we were in Florida three years ago when I would shut the door on the overhead cabinet that holds the receiver. Haven't been shutting the door this year but the other day I put one of my caps on top of the receiver. Removed it yesterday and didn't experience a problem, at least yesterday. So I'm guessing it might have been caused by too much heat around the receiver. I will let you all know if it returns.

Thanks for the replies.
Hayden & Jan
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

stallsmi
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same thing happen at Reelfoot Lake State Campground in Tennessee. But, it only happened on the local channels (lower numbered). Channels numbered above 100 or so worked flawlessly, while channels 70 and below got the error message. Odd. I called Directv with absolutely no help. It can't be a LNB error or it would affect all channels. We lost those channels at sunset and they resumed around 9:30. It happened over the course of one week with wind, no wind, clouds, clear, and all other weather conditions...nothing consistent.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Cable first.
-jbh-

Nunyadamn
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a wind when you get the error and no wind when there is no error?

I had a cable go bad on my for my carryout and it would loose signal and piss me off to no end. I first e-mailed winegard and the lady replied it could be my servo motor not holding position. Then I called and talked to a tech guy and he said it is probably your cable - the directv puts out a small voltage that holds the servo in place - without that small voltage the servo motor was slowly moving down. I replaced the cable an no issues.

If you have a cable blowing in the wind in the evening, I would swap it first and see if you have the problem the next day.
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2015 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Out the whole thing in the shade (under an umbrella or something that won't block the signal). If the problem goes away your LNB is going bad and the heat is what's causing it. You might even be able to remove the dome to get some air circulation but the sun directly on the LNB will likely cause the same issue.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Low signal, rain fade or LNB going bad
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You might try googling 'winegard carryout signal error'
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds similar to seasonal sun outage, but should not have that long of a duration.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Wild guess, Dew on the outer surface?
Sorry, I reread the post and dew should not be an issue. How about a power problem?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)