cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is "PolySteel" worth it?

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a new Sprinter chassis Class C and will be picking it up next Tuesday. Obviously, the dealer has all these great and wonderful things they want to sell you as after purchase add ons. The extended warranty is a no brainer - not going for it, but will do the FR 1 year add on for $150 that has not been mentioned at the dealer yet. The other item they are pushing is the "IAS Polysteel" coating that (supposedly) protects the interior and exterior from spills, scratches, blah, blah, blah. They are asking $1500 for the 24 foot MH and charge base of $75 / ft and discounted to $1500 because I am a nice guy, I guess. I am having a hard time thinking this is worth the money. The MH will be stored inside my shop, so only outside exposure is while in use. Interior wise, there is very little to get stained as there is no carpet, the seats are "pleather or ultra suede" and then there is the bed covering. In all honesty, I can not see this as any thing that will do anything other than make the dealer some more money. Have any of you used this or think it is worthwhile and does it really do anything for the exterior?
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System
14 REPLIES 14

tboss
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1993 rv that looks like new when I wash it and I have never waxed it,. The original owner who bought it had a paint and body shop put a heavy coat of clear coat paint on it ,,its starting to wear and peel in a few small places but she still over all looks new.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Back to protecting your RV: for around $50, you can buy a small roll of "Transit Shield" - the plastic stuff they put over new cars to protect them as they get put on a car hauler. Before we left for our epic drive to Alaska and back, we covered the hood, the "shoulders", and nose of the overhang with Transit Shield. It didn't look great - there were some wrinkles, etc. People even asked about it when we were stopped for fueling, etc.

But at the end of that trip, the 900 lbs of dead bugs, dirt, mud, etc all peeled off and left our shiny MH unscathed.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
It is my understanding that the FR extended warranty applies only to towables, not to motorhomes (A or C).

Be sure to join the Forest River Forum, one of the best that I belong to. Post your questions there and you will get a lot of responses. There are even a couple of FR employees that watch the forum and give their comments.

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
Told the dealer today to forget both the polysteel treatment and the ext warranty. Not real happy about that. I then asked her about the 2nd year FR warranty ext for $150 an she said she was not too sure what that was or how to go about getting that as they deal with 1st year and ext. warranties. Thought that was odd as they are an authorized dealer. Said that this may be something I have to do on my own. No worries - be glad to take care of that myself.
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2007 sprinter and it still looks new ,wash it a couple times a year. I,ve never waxed it. put the money in your pocket.

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
What's the FR one year add on you speak of?

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
carringb wrote:
Rent a carpet cleaner (or buy one... mine gets used way more than I ever planned!) and some solution, and DIY for much cheaper.

http://www.jondon.com/3m-scotchgard-carpet-and-upholstery-protector-2.html?gclid=CKfblpu7q9ICFUpNfgo...

Cannot tell you all the times that our shampooer has been used for so many things. Cost was $150 on sale and I can clean the RV, vehicles and house with it. Then use the saved money for fuel!
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
$1500 buys an awful lot of Scotchguard and nu-finish.

As a general rule of thumb, car (and RV) dealers don't generally push add-ons that they don't make money on, and push the most profitable ones the hardest.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
If you go for it....turn around and see what the salesman is doing as you walk out of the office.....They will be laughing, high five-ing, chest bumping and saying, "Got um."
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like all of you are of the same opinion I am. Just keep trying to figure out what they think this is going to do that the 21st century technology and a good coat of wax won't take care of. Thanks for your feedback. Saving myself $1500.
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Navegator, $900?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Scotch Gard for the upholtery does the job, take shoes off at door for the carpet, I will send you my bill for $1,000, see I'm saving you $500.

navegator

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Rent a carpet cleaner (or buy one... mine gets used way more than I ever planned!) and some solution, and DIY for much cheaper.

http://www.jondon.com/3m-scotchgard-carpet-and-upholstery-protector-2.html?gclid=CKfblpu7q9ICFUpNfgo...
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Total scam! The material costs maybe 50 bucks, another 50 for labor. The rest is pure profit. If you look at the warrenty you will see all the disclaimers and exclusions. Once your done you will probably see nothing is covered. A good wax job twice a year is far better for the exterior.