Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaving the camper unit at a campground

EdCarolOC
Explorer
Explorer
New to camping with a truck camper.
Is it safe to leave the truck camper (standalone) at state, national or commercial campgrounds.
21 REPLIES 21

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
work2much wrote:
Might be worth asking the specific manufacturer if the full load of the tanks are designed to be supported out of the bed.

^^--This !!!
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Bedlam
cartmancartman wrote:
OP, yes I guess theft is possible but not frequent. Leave all valuables in the truck and get full coverage insurance.b Take the jack remote with you, but they can always manually jack it. I am hoping some after market theft deterants, I have not found any, if you fins some please post.

As they say "If they really want it, they will get it".

Torklift WobbleStoppers lock in place and prevent you from loading it without removing them first.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
If you are scared about getting it stolen , simply drill a 1/4 " or 3/8 hole thru the jacks and add a lock . You can add hole anywhere in the jack shaft and lock inserted will not allow to be jacked down..or up. Set camper at whatever height you are comfortable with ,probably low to the ground so camper doesnt wobble.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Be a lot harder to steal than any sort of trailer.
National forest and national parks have no issue with unloading a TC at the campsite in my experience.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

cartmancartman
Explorer
Explorer
Or even maybe install a car alarm on it when it is parked.

cartmancartman
Explorer
Explorer
OP, yes I guess theft is possible but not frequent. Leave all valuables in the truck and get full coverage insurance.b Take the jack remote with you, but they can always manually jack it. I am hoping some after market theft deterants, I have not found any, if you fins some please post.

As they say "If they really want it, they will get it".

Hondavalk wrote:
It is normally the local fire marshal that makes that call. Some districts require TTs and motor homes to be facing forward and TCs to be loaded so they can be quickly pull out in the case of a fire.

This ^^^ often comes up during these conversations. I've been around awhile and know dang well that just because it doesn't make one bit of sense there could well be a rule/law in effect about something.

That said... WTH difference would it make? It's ok to leave a TT, etc somewhere "but in case of a fire.." The people are out anyhow and can't do a dang thing about it. What are they going to do, hook a fire truck up to it? The guy with a MH, off enjoying the sites with his wife in his toad... you going to call a tow truck for all of then? I'm being facetious for effect..it's like the "what if" questions people live with.

We take ours off (other than snow camping) anytime it's two nights or more. Love the ease and freedom it offers.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
KD4UPL wrote:
What do you mean safe? It's no more dangerous then leaving it at your house in the driveway while you're at work. It's just a camper sitting there unattended on the jacks.
We leave ours behind at campgrounds to drive the truck around for various reasons. Never had any problems. Never really thought of any problems other than vandalism or theft which aren't unique to truck campers.

I agree, put it out of your mind. Been doing it for years.:B

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Unless we happen to be on a cement pad I always use 18" lengths of 2x6 under jack pads. Ground really questionable, windy area or a lot of ground squirrel activity I'll supplement with jack stands and spreaders just for more contact.
That's my only real concern is the ground camper is setting on.

I do turn off power to jacks and if connected to water turn it and heater off.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I put a block with cross 4x6 under front of my camper, where water tank is, but just today I noticed that in the rear bathroom the gap between shower pan and floor got bigger.
That thing was never caulked, but regardless aluminium frame, everything seem to flex here.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Might be worth asking the specific manufacturer if the full load of the tanks are designed to be supported out of the bed.

As far as theft, one easy deterent would be to pull the fuse (or wire a hidden switch) for the jack controller.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
I left mine at a seasonal site in 2013 April to November and 2015 at a site for 8 weeks, never had a problem with anything other than all the stuff that falls off the trees it was fine. I just stored it like I would at home up on Saw horses level
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I've been leaving my camper on jacks every day for almost a week.

Moved from Forum Technical Support