cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double towing in GA and FL

RomperStomper
Explorer
Explorer
Alright everyone, I'm heading to bike week in Daytona and am planning on towing a 6x10 motorcycle trailer with 2 bikes on it. I just want to hear from people that double tow in FL or GA and their experience doing so. Good, bad, got pulled over, never got bothered, how long have you been towing, and if you ever did get pulled over what was the outcome. I know what the law states so I really don't care about a lecture of it not being legal. I've talked to several state patrol in both states and a local cop in my home town and they don't have a problem with it. Thanks in advance everyone!
14 REPLIES 14

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since we have had two pages of responses that the OP did not want, and it appears that no one on the forums has had the experience that the OP did want responses on, I am going to close this thread while it is still civil.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not lecturing, but does anyones response even matter? If I were to post that I tried it once and got pulled over and ticketed, and never did it again, would it change your mind?

I speed from time to time (not towing). It's against the law, but I do it.. If I get caught, I pay the ticket, if I don't, I just didn't.. nothing more to it.

If you're going to do it anyways, just go do it, don't talk about it.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's an inconvenience that's all. Kind of like what you said: "Not bothered or never pulled over doesn't mean a lot.", since it never happened it doesn't really mean a lot. Kinda like worrying about what would happen if one of your wheels comes off. Could happen, but probably won't.

Life's too short to worry about the "woulda, coulda, shoulda".
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Not bothered or never pulled over doesn't mean a lot. I have been on many trips driving hours without seeing an LEO of any stripe. Then the next trip thru the same area and there seems to be a trooper, sheriff, or local around every third curve.

The question to consider is what are you going to do if you are pulled over a few hundred miles from your destination and not allowed to continue.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My son lives in FL just west of Daytona. Some years we visit during bike week. I've seen all types of doubles (two trailers) and even triples (three trailer combos) are on I-75....I-95 and I-4.
One of my grandson's is a big city police officer near there. He says FHP and other dot officers he has breakfast/lunch/dinner during shift hours with say they just look the other way during bike week....unless the combo is creating a hazard to other drivers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
All Leo's are human, they might stop you today and overlook the same issue tomorrow.
Years ago there was an officer that would regularly set up radar in f/o our paramedic station. One day he saw a car doing 25kms over the limit and he just waved at him to slow down. Next day he was stopping cars at 10 - 15 over.
It may or may not be a problem.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Double towing is not legal in GA although you see it done often. There is some confusion about Fla as it was illegal for many years but it MAY be legal now. I have not researched Fla as I was headed west from GA.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder if the last two posters read the whole OP, specifically: "I just want to hear from people that double tow in FL or GA and their experience doing so."

I also think there was something about not wanting "lectures".

I pulled my SmartTrailer behind our Big Sky in Georgia with no issues, but cannot say anything about Florida. I've always felt that most LEO's were somewhat confused about the legality of swivelwheel-type trailers and gave them a pass just to avoid the hassles.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
States determine what is "safe" in their jurisdiction by enacting laws. Georgia says it is unsafe. It's THEIR state not a drama. Respect the rules of Georgia just as you want me to follow the laws of your state when I'm inside your boundaries.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Since u don't care why ask?
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
If towing a trailer behind the 5th wheel is not legal then look into one of these IDAHO TOTEs which is not considered a trailer.

These are bolted directy to the rear of the 5th wheel and is considered an extension to the fifth wheel... Their is no trailer hitch or trailer tongue involved etc...

Check with local state DOT for legal status in the two states you mentioned...

Just another thought
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"I know what the law states so I really don't care about a lecture of it not being legal"

Do you care about not being safe?

Please. No more drama.

I'd only be concerned about the troopers particularly looking for bike week revenue. That section between Jacksonville and Daytona can be tough with troopers doing their jobs.

RomperStomper
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"I know what the law states so I really don't care about a lecture of it not being legal"

If it's not "safe" why is it legal in other states?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad