cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dingy towing 2017 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

DebP
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 2017 Jeep Cherokee latitude last week, after reading the owners manual it says we must use a mopar wiring harness? Also looked at a Utube video on another blog about them having a severe wobble at different driving conditions. Has anyone experienced this wobble and how to fix it? We have always towed an older Jeep CJ7 rag top, with no issues, We were looking for a light weight lockable, air condition car to tow behind our older 1999 Gas engine Winnebago Cheiftain. I am newly retired and hoping to travel a lot more. This was our first big purchase for my retirement years and now feel worried we made the wrong choice
4 REPLIES 4

mmcbride
Explorer
Explorer
DebP wrote:
We just purchased a 2017 Jeep Cherokee latitude last week, after reading the owners manual it says we must use a mopar wiring harness? Also looked at a Utube video on another blog about them having a severe wobble at different driving conditions. Has anyone experienced this wobble and how to fix it? We have always towed an older Jeep CJ7 rag top, with no issues, We were looking for a light weight lockable, air condition car to tow behind our older 1999 Gas engine Winnebago Cheiftain. I am newly retired and hoping to travel a lot more. This was our first big purchase for my retirement years and now feel worried we made the wrong choice

The specific issue is the new Electronic Power Steering System (EPS), that does not work with the ignition off. The "death wobble" issue was the result and FCA finally issued a recall notice for 2014-2016 model years of the Cherokee. I found out because I just purchased a 2017 Cherokee Trailhawk and the owners manual still has the warning although it is not part of the recall "fix". Owners now must purchase (at their own expense) a wiring kit and have it installed that is basically a fuse and switch you must flip "on" when flat towing to provide power to the EPS. The part number is:68321424AB and must be ordered at a dealership, not online.

FCMA has a lengthy thread on this, unfortunately I (and others) have no knowledge of this when looking for 2017 dingy tows as the 2017 Guide to Dingy Towing from www.motorhome.com makes no mention of this requirement at all.

The uproar in the Jeep community is that Jeep promotional material (sales) also makes no disclaimer that the Cherokee is not flat-tow ready without the add-on wiring harness purchased separately.

FYI: This is coming with the Grand Cherokees as well, since they are going to the EPS system also.

rhadley53
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a new 2014 Latitude and towed it with my Super C. It did the death wobble on me. At the time Chrysler said nothing was wrong. This happened to me three different times, miles from home. It made the whole rv shake and when I looked in the rear camera, I thought the Jeep would tear away from the hitch. My wife said we were not going thru that again. Traded it in on a Grand Cherokee like I had before. Now they have discovered the electronic power steering was the problem. Thus the need for the special power cord.
Rick 08 Seneca 36MS
15 Jeep Grand Cherokee dingy

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
It's not difficult to trailer a vehicle. Probably need specific straps for your Trailhawk. I did trailer my Cherokee Trailhawk once. This saves on vehicle service brakes. Makes trailer brakes easy too.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the TSB for the wobble kit.. It may be an older version of it though. Should get you started....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad