cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backing Up A Flat Tow

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Got caught tween a rock and a hard spot today. Had to back up my flat tow about 100 feet.
I refused to disconnect, so, started the engine so power steering would work, then stretch strapped the steering wheel to center, and backed it up, no pain no strain, no problem.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.
9 REPLIES 9

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Got caught tween a rock and a hard spot today. Had to back up my flat tow about 100 feet.
I refused to disconnect, so, started the engine so power steering would work, then stretch strapped the steering wheel to center, and backed it up, no pain no strain, no problem.

You did good-----------bungee or lock the steering wheel and back it like a trailer.
I get so aggravated at posters that have no knowledge of what they say, to start with negatives and half truths.
Example 1: The Toad system is designed to go forward. Duh, does that mean I can't back up my vehicle?
Example 2: The tow bar is designed to pull, not push. Again total BS. Your Toad pushes the RV when you slam on brakes with no brake buddy/etc assist.
I don't think the manufactures of tow bars would sell you a one way tow bar.
Regardless, the Negative Nancy's will continue to give the wrong advice.

Lock the steering wheel and back it as you would a trailer!
Is that so hard for some of you to understand?
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
Had to do a toad disconnect on the Alaskan hwy. About 80 miles from nearest tow truck help. What happened was wife had spotted a huge brown bear and wife wanted me to stop for pictures. As I pulled to the shoulder of the road the right front wheel went down to the axle because ground squirrels had burroughed it out. Driving ahead and cutting the wheels to the pavement would have made it worsen. Backing out looked like it would work because rear wheels were on good ground,but toad had to be disconnected and moved out of the way. My toad, a 2012 canyon is an easy disconnect which was great for quick job necessitated by the bear walking around the whole time a hundred and fifty feet away. Backing the class A worked very well. Moral of the story a simple toad hookup trumps bear necessities.

Waiter21
Explorer
Explorer
Backing up with the toad, I've done it many times. but the process is a little different with the two toads I've owned.

2001 Civic. This one was simple, just put it in reverse and back up. The Toad steering would caster correctly and follow any small turns while backing. I've backed this into truck parking spots or away from fuel islands on many occasions.

2003 Saturn Vue - Totally different. The steering would attempt to caster to a full end stop at the first sign of a slight turn. When we back the Vue more than a few feet, I have the DW sit in the Vue and keep the steering straight or follow any turns that I may be doing. I suspect if I was by myself, I'd use the seat belt to tie the steering wheel straight, and then do the backing. I disabled the steering column lock on the Vue, otherwise Id lock the steering column when backing

If anyone thinks they would ever back their toad, goto a large parking lot and do a little practice and see how the toad responds. If you see the steering going to an end stop, stop the MH and either disconnect or do something to prevent the steering from castering to the end stops.

NOTE - The only difference between the civic and the vue is the Civic has hydraulic power steering and the Vue has electric power steering. I suspect the hydraulic steering offers a lot of turning resistance when the engine isn't running.
1999 Southwind F53, 2003 Saturn Vue toad
www.1999Southwind.comwww.1999Southwind.com

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
... steering SLAMMED hard over against the stops ...

Since this is a towing forum... Same reason why I don't support backing a RWD vehicle onto a dolly and towing it backwards. Even with a commercial steering wheel restraint. Let alone with the ignition lock or some home-made-bungee-ginny. Suspension is meant to go FORWARDS.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I found myself in that position once a few years ago, towing a Jeep Wrangler behind a one ton dually carrying an 11.5 foot TC.
Like the OP, I did not want to disconnect, so I attempted to back up.
After about 4 or 5 feet, the Jeep steering SLAMMED hard over against the stops.
Luckily, the truck was a 4X2, with the sharper turning radius than a 4X4, so that was just enough that I could straighten the Jeep wheels and drive off.
I vowed then; "Never again!". The few minutes required to disconnect the toad (or unload the dolly, disconnect it, etc.) and reconnect are most assuredly worth it, IMO!
Yes, I know, many have said that they back up a toad all the time with no trouble. Good for them, I will not try it again.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious. Why would you refuse to disconnect? It's not that hard to do. Usually only takes about 5 minutes. Stuck on a railroad crossing maybe?
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know! If I get in a pickle, I will try that!

THANKS!!

WW
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

RichNewcome
Explorer
Explorer
Catkins wrote:
Be aware that tow bars are designed to pull, not push. Continuing to back up is asking for issues down the road in

I've heard that theory before, but when backing up as the OP described, and assuming that the toad doesn't jack-knife, how are the forces on the tow bar any different than when the toad is pushing on the MH when braking? (Disregarding auxiliary braking system)

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that tow bars aredesigned to pull, not push. Continuing to back up is asking for issues down the road in MHO.